AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when you've finalized your own dvd-r with the custom background pic, the menus, the title texts, the chapter points, what happens when you copy it to hdd (or copy it to any other media, for that matter)? Do all of the file references that make that dvd disc work like it was intended become broken in the version that you copy to hdd? Does it just become a collection of vob/bup/ifo files that have cease to have any relation, in a similar way to as if you were actually running the disc? Can vlc make anything out of it, or is it simply only able to run the vob files one after the other, and that's it?

If so, is the only way around this is to image the disc?

I'm just curious about my growing dvd-r collection, and the presumed finite lifespan of burned media. If I decide to later copy the files to new media (for example), will it have any chance of working the same as the original disc I made, or would I have to literally reconstruct the whole deal every time to enable the same experience as the original disc? ...or do I have to use special software to make an exact image of the disc and then disclose that image to a newly burned disc?

What if I want to (sometime in the future) take this content from multiple dvd-r discs and put them on a nice fat br disc? Would that "break" all the menus/chapter points/etc? I guess it would have to be a data disc at that point, anyway (which precludes using it in any br player, of course). So it would not be much different than putting it all on a giant hdd, as well.

How does it all work, and what is the classic way that people handle this sort of thing (to preserve the "essence of operation" of the original disc)?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
If you copy the VIDEO_TS folder from a DVD to a HDD, you have all the information that is on the DVD: video content, menus, etc.

On my Mac, Apple's standard DVD Player application can play either DVDs that have been inserted into the optical drive, or VIDEO_TS folders that are on the HDD. If the VIDEO_TS folder was copied from a DVD, the two play identically in DVD Player.

With copy-protected DVDs, of course, you can't copy the VIDEO_TS folder to HDD unless you use software that can crack the protection. This isn't an issue with DVDs that you've burned yourself, either with a standalone DVD recorder or on your computer.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah well, this is good news!...much more simple than I made it out to be.

So there is no need to "image" stuff, then? (rhetorical, unless I am incorrect)

I guess it all stays together, as long as all of the file names are retained (as they should be, if directly copied). If you go in and change the name of an ifo or bup to something other than its associated vob, that will break something when a media/dvd player tries to cross reference stuff, right?

·
Registered
13,294 Posts
If you are talking about copying by dubbing back to the HDD of a DVDR, it depends on whether or not the DVDR has an image duplication function or not. If not, you will lose all customizations and be starting from scratch with a slightly degraded video. By far, the easiest way is to use a PC -- just rip and burn an ISO image of the disk you want to duplicate using DVDDecrypter. The copy will be identical to the original in all respects. Whenever I have an aging DVD I recorded on cheap media (before my enlightened days) that starts to show problems on playback, that is the method I use. I find PC burners are generally better at reading disks that are showing problems on my players and are able to rip the source without error. I have not lost a disk yet.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no, I didn't mean dubbing to hdd on the recorder. Sorry, I wasn't more specific. I did mean hdd on a pc (the universal media hub, of course).

You make a good point, though. If you want to make a new dvd (that plays on any given player) directly from an old dvd, then it seems imaging is the way the go. You could just drag the file structure over, but it would not be the same or work the same as a true "video" disc (as opposed to a "data" disc), no?...or does it matter? (I dunno)

·
Registered
268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky /forum/post/14343308

Oh no, I didn't mean dubbing to hdd on the recorder. Sorry, I wasn't more specific. I did mean hdd on a pc (the universal media hub, of course).

You make a good point, though. If you want to make a new dvd (that plays on any given player) directly from an old dvd, then it seems imaging is the way the go. You could just drag the file structure over, but it would not be the same or work the same as a true "video" disc (as opposed to a "data" disc), no?...or does it matter? (I dunno)

Mr. Hanky

You can just drag over the files in the VIDEO_TS folder from an unprotected disk and to the computer hard drive and then point a video player program to the folder/files and it will usually play them. I have done this many times myself with no problems playing them back in Windows Media Player, Media player classic, VLC player, PowerDVD, WinDVD to name a few, also in Vista Media Center with registry change to see the DVD files on the hard drive since Media Center does not see video file structure on hard disk drive by default on its own, the way I understand it with Media Center anyway.

The problem is when you want to burn the files back to a DVD video disk to play back in a standard TV set top DVD player. Players generally have to have the file structure burned a certain way so you have to use a burning program with settings to burn this video file structure. And this is not just the same as copying the files back in the same order as you copied it to the computer. This is how they are burned down to the disk media layout.

So you have to use something like Nero Burning ROM program with setting set for DVD Video writing or the very respected freeware IMG BURN program. Some standard disk copying programs for computer can be set for DVD Video burning also, but many think a dedicated program designed for DVD Video is better and may produce better results so it is more likely to play back in a standard DVD player. You can see the ISO format setting used for DVD Video burning/writing in Nero Burning ROM when you set it to burn DVD Video as DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) 1.02 setting, which generally is the best to use for older DVD player compatibility.

So to sum it up, if you don't use the correct DVD video settings you are just creating a computer data disk that generally only a computer can read.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you- very detailed info!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco63 /forum/post/14344776

So you have to use something like Nero Burning ROM program with setting set for DVD Video writing or the very respected freeware IMG BURN program. Some standard disk copying programs for computer can be set for DVD Video burning also, but many think a dedicated program designed for DVD Video is better and may produce better results so it is more likely to play back in a standard DVD player. You can see the ISO format setting used for DVD Video burning/writing in Nero Burning ROM when you set it to burn DVD Video as DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) 1.02 setting, which generally is the best to use for older DVD player compatibility.

So to sum it up, if you don't use the correct DVD video settings you are just creating a computer data disk that generally only a computer can read.

From my limited experience with editing, I was left with the impression that Nero Burning ROM was part of my Nero Essentials 7. Yet I cannot find any separate path or reference to it. Is it just presumed that when I run Nero that I am using Nero Burning ROM, vs a different piece of Nero software? IOW is Nero Burning ROM at the core of every version of Nero?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
And in the Macintosh world, Toast Titanium (the most common third-party CD and DVD burning utility) has an option to burn a DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder on the computer's hard disk. I use it regularly.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/14345492

From my limited experience with editing, I was left with the impression that Nero Burning ROM was part of my Nero Essentials 7. Yet I cannot find any separate path or reference to it. Is it just presumed that when I run Nero that I am using Nero Burning ROM, vs a different piece of Nero software? IOW is Nero Burning ROM at the core of every version of Nero?

The company Nero AG (formerly Ahead Software AG) packages a group of programs related to DVD/CD production. Nero Burning ROM program can be considered the core of the package, it is what made the company famous so to speak. The name became so common in usage because of this program that they rename the company itself after it.

You are probably using Nero StartSmart application to start Nero and its various applications. As you select in it what you want to do it will run the correct Nero program to do the task, from writing to a disk, converting or compressing a movie to backing up you computer files, depending on the programs packaged with your particular installation.

The programs included in the Nero packaged varied from version to version over the years and programs bundled with CD/DVD hardware writers would have less programs then if you bought the full suite of Nero applications. But the Burning ROM is the program used to actually burn or write the data to the disk. You should have a separate short cut link when you install the Nero bundle packages, be it in Nero Essentials 7 or the like to access it directly. This is what I did when using the Nero programs.

The other programs depending on the version/package could include the following

Nero Burning ROM CD and DVD Burning program itself.

Nero Vision– Video Editing and Authoring

Nero ShowTime – DVD and Multimedia Player

Nero Recode – Video Converter/compresser

Nero BackItUp - backup computer data to disk

check out www.nero.com for detail information on the programs in their packages/suite of programs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts