AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0


My condolences to him.

Even the iPod was a turd when it launched. Give Zune its fair chance. Once Vista launches and becomes more widely deployed, there are a lot of interesting things MS could do on Zune, and J Allard is the kind of guy that has the vision to drive it forward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I don't think that I will ever upgrade to Vista.... that OS looks terrible. I think it will actually put me over the edge to rid my last 2 PC's and change everything over to OSx (I already have 3 apple boxes in the house)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/0


Even the iPod was a turd when it launched. Give Zune its fair chance. Once Vista launches and becomes more widely deployed, there are a lot of interesting things MS could do on Zune, and J Allard is the kind of guy that has the vision to drive it forward.

I don't get why a lot of people bash the Zune. I have owned a video iPod and now own a Zune and with the exception of podcasting being integrated into the software, the Zune seems to do everything the iPod did... Just with a 44% bigger screen. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it doesn't do things worse than Apple either.


In fact the worst I can say about it is that there is a lot of untapped potential in it. Wifi at this point is just for marketing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELUS /forum/post/0


I don't get why a lot of people bash the Zune.

Almost certainly because it's Microsoft. MSFT has to knock it out of the park and totally revolutionize an entire industry (which I've never seen) before a lot of people would grudgingly admit a new venture of their's was good. I assume they know this by now and have accepted that they play a long term game, put in time and effort into their product, and eventually a lot of them make it. Plus they OWN the OS market so they always find some leverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
I previously owned an Archos 380 media player. Very big screen, but also very thick. Archos quality is bad, though, and it died shortly outside warranty. At the time, I bought a then-new Video iPod, and it works OK for audio; it's useless for portable video.


However, I used the Archos 97% for audio, so the portable video was no big loss to me. I'm not sure the Zune is big enough for video, either -- and it's a lot thicker than the iPod. To me, it adds bulk for no added value.


My ideal device would be an iPod-sized device, where the entire front is a wide-screen display with resolution on the order of 640x360; probably using touch-screen to navigate. I'm surprised Apple hasn't come out with that yet -- that's really what the original Video iPod should have been.


Oh, yeah, X-box forum. Hmm.

Does anyone actually use their X-box as a music center or media player? Seems kind of pointless to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
I use my xbox to listen to music quite often, weather it be streaming it off my pc, or cd audio..


I have a nano now, but if I were in the market for a video thingy, I'd pick a zune over a video Ipod. IN fact I almost impulsively bought one for myself for xmas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELUS /forum/post/0


the Zune seems to do everything the iPod did... Just with a 44% bigger screen. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it doesn't do things worse than Apple either...


not true. the zune does not/cannot play lossless music...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatte /forum/post/0



Oh, yeah, X-box forum. Hmm.

Does anyone actually use their X-box as a music center or media player? Seems kind of pointless to me.

I do - a modded Xbox with Xbox Media Center on it. By far and away the best non HTPC media option (although maybe it's better in that it doesn't have all the HTPC fun issues). Only issue is for native HD video - not enough horsepower for 720p and 1080i files although lower resolutions up to around 540p can be upscaled to HD.


For music, everything is on my server upstairs. I stream it down and then optical to the receiver and component to the display. It plays everything non-DRM'd. Could not be happier. One of the best additions to my home in 20 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/0


Even the iPod was a turd when it launched. Give Zune its fair chance. Once Vista launches and becomes more widely deployed, there are a lot of interesting things MS could do on Zune, and J Allard is the kind of guy that has the vision to drive it forward.

It's not that the Zune is a turd, I like the hardware. It's the limitations and the choices that they made with Zune. The sharing for example. You can't share all songs. The fact that Universal gets a piece of each Zune. The fact that you can only sync you Zune so many times in a month to your Pc.


EDITED FOR CLARITY even though I mention this a couple of threads down, this is what i was told by a friend that owned a Zune and he synced it 6 times and it erased all of his songds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0


It's not that the Zune is a turd, I like the hardware. It's the limitations and the choices that they made with Zune. The sharing for example. You can't share all songs. The fact that Universal gets a piece of each Zune. The fact that you can only sync you Zune so many times in a month to your Pc.

You have a limited number of syncs to your PC each month? It really irritates me when companies try to restrict the legal use of their products for paying customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0


It's not that the Zune is a turd, I like the hardware. It's the limitations and the choices that they made with Zune. The sharing for example. You can't share all songs. The fact that Universal gets a piece of each Zune. The fact that you can only sync you Zune so many times in a month to your Pc.

I have a Zune, and it is a turd in many ways. It has its quirks, but I didn't know that you only get so many syncs-to-pc a month. That is news to me, and something that does not make any sense whatsover. The other glaring omission is the lack of .wav playback, even though they playback lossless through WMA lossless. I guess they want to push their WMA lossless codec, but the results are less than pristine compared to what WAV files should sound like. The interface is less than free flowing, and rather restrictive. The inability to create on-the-fly playlists for video is baffling. The need to use a PC to delete an object on the Zune is stupid. To date, I rate the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (NJB3) as the most intuitive and versatile MP3 player interface.


The Zune has a lot of potential, but it is not there yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
I also didnt know that we have a limited number of syncs/month???

Where did you see that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB /forum/post/0


I do - a modded Xbox with Xbox Media Center on it. By far and away the best non HTPC media option (although maybe it's better in that it doesn't have all the HTPC fun issues). Only issue is for native HD video - not enough horsepower for 720p and 1080i files although lower resolutions up to around 540p can be upscaled to HD.


For music, everything is on my server upstairs. I stream it down and then optical to the receiver and component to the display. It plays everything non-DRM'd. Could not be happier. One of the best additions to my home in 20 years.


So do I, the only thing lacking is the HD support. I even have a PC right next to it in the living room and I use the xbox primarily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,084 Posts
it's a nice piece of hardware actually, but the lack of lossless playback is an absolute dealbreaker for me (and others here on avs). hopefully they'll upgrade it with firmware. until then, its ipod all the way...
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top