AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a video wall from a music store going out of business for $150.00. It consists of 9, 27" or 28" monitors and measures 60" by 73". It came with the frame and cabling but the video controller is absent. The manager said that the "box-thingy" was sent for repair about a year ago and never came back. Does anyone (Curt, Tim, KBK, Drew,etc.) know what that so called "box-thingy" really is? And does anyone know where I might find a used one? I know this probably isn't the place to be posting this ( I did post in the video processor forum) but, being a CRT owner and this being the place I spend most of my time, I kind of feel at home posting here. Besides, I know there's more knowledge floating around in this forum than anywhere else!!!!!!!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike

P.S. The title of this post is exactly what the wife said when I got home with this thing!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
451 Posts
I believe I have come across one of these "boxes" before. It basically takes a NTSC signal, Y/C or composite, and splits it to how ever many monitors you set the box up for. All told a unique and expensive piece of video gear...much like a CRT projector. :D I would check e-bay or be prepared to spend some big $$....Good Luck! :D

-Audiophil

· Registered
1,846 Posts
I BET YOU COULD USE A HTPC

DONT ASK ME HOW

XANATOS

· Registered
197 Posts
Well you are going to need something that does line tripling to 1440i and then splits up the image in 9 chunks. Dunno if those things are too expensive since these monitor-stacks would be their only field of use...

· Registered
18,489 Posts
BTW, when you find a control box for next to nothing, try to flip the unit to a shopping mall for in mall advertising.

Take the $10K you'll get and buy something more useful like a sports car, and keep the only set of keys for it at all times.

Then see how much of an 'idiot-boy' you are...;)

Curt

· Registered
73 Posts
doing a search on google using

video wall controller

turned over a good number of products, a lot of them PC based.

Good luck.

also.. how far back do you have to sit to not see the edges of the monitors? 6x width? 8x width? =)

· Registered
225 Posts
I agree with the explanation of what the controller does.Usually you have to tell the controller how many video cubes to use and what the resolution of the cubes is. Use to have some info let me check if I still have it.

· Registered
225 Posts
Just wanted to add. Remember that Windows has multiple monitor support.

A couple of dual head video cards and a pc should be able to run 4 of those cubes with no problem,possible more but 4 is the most I've ever run using 2 ATI dual head cards.

· Premium Member
5,045 Posts
Matrox has 4 head video cards. We have one hardware configuration here with two of those cards installed, giving us 8 flat-panel monitors on one PC. And yes, people actually buy them.

Cary

· Registered
1,549 Posts
I saw one on ebay the other day offered by avforsale in Atlanta (Inventory Solutions). He had the box with three cubes. oopps! Nevermind, it is in the post obove.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.