Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

When asking for opinions on what to buy, the fact is that anyone who just spent $4-$5k is going to defend their decision. Thus, I thought I would take a different spin on the question.

What sets have you recently purchased that you found yourself returning? WHat led you to return it? What did you purchase instead?

Cheers.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I returned a Panny DVD player because I smashed it.

Would never recomend a 5 Disc panny player.

Single disc is great, but 5 disc is the worst ever.

Just try and change a disc, or try and get the disc that is playing out of the unit...

It's easier to cut a whole in the top of the player and remove the DVD that way.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well, I've got a ReplayTV 5040 that's going back this weekend. Cool idea, poor implementation.

Though I haven't decided for sure, I think I'm going to have to swap the new Mits 55411 for a Tosh 50HDX82. I like the Mits, especially the 3 component inputs, and the ease of doing service mode tweaks (except for red-push fix which takes a bit of bravery to do the I2C fix) But the stretch mode really is annoying to watch SD 4:3 shows. I don't want to have to worry about burn-in, so I can't use narrow mode too much. The Toshiba has a better stretch mode, and is several hundred $$ cheaper, too. (Though gray-scale is usually pretty bad out of the box, so you almost HAVE to get a calibration to make it watchable. There goes the savings.)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I returned a Replay. The picture quality was unacceptable very grainy.

Then I returned my Hitachi 65SWX20B for a 65XWX20B.

·
Registered
972 Posts
We've got about 2 more weeks to decide if the minor issues I have with our 65XWX are because of a problem with the TV or a combination of broadcast variation (particularly HD) and simply having to get used to the difference from our old 32". I suspect it is the later the more I watch. Doesn't exactly answer your question, but you get the maddening thought process that is banging around in my head. Great question...I feel the same.

Also, I almost sent it back because of delivery damage, but it was minor/cosmetic and was rectified with a discount from the store instead.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
If you return an XWX, you won't ever be happy with anything.

What would you return/exchange for?
Good point. I'm just trying to either get comfortable with the fact that not all HD programming looks great (I thought it would). Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the set, I'm just nit-picking.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have returned a Toshiba 50h81 and a Hitachi 36" HDTV in the past 1.5 years.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
NOTHING. I research extensively, in-shop, before I buy. Call me conservative, but I do not believe in "buy&try". I have done retail and I have never believed in returning unless something was truly faulty. That is a separate issue.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Bitrate is your problem...
my problem, meaning I can do something about it (move antenna, check cables, TV adjustment, etc.)? Or bitrate from the producer/broadcaster that I can't do anything about?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Side topic:

What happens to the big $$$ stuff when it gets returned?

Does the mfg rebox it and place it back in the retail pool as "new"? I was always under the assumption that once sold as new it can never be again.

I can't imagine that they get sent back to mfg and sold as demo's.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SimRacer
Side topic:

What happens to the big $$$ stuff when it gets returned?

Does the mfg rebox it and place it back in the retail pool as "new"? I was always under the assumption that once sold as new it can never be again.

I can't imagine that they get sent back to mfg and sold as demo's.
This is only a theory as I have never worked for an electronics co. retailer, but when I was recently deciding between swapping a RPTV that was minorly damaged during delivery vs. getting a small store credit, I got the impression that the store manager was carefully weighing the cost difference between the discount vs. profit from possibly selling the TV as an open-box. Him pointing out to me more than once that I got the TV for a "steal" while alegedly making the above evaluation was also a hint.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Honest dealers sell returned merchandise as what it is, at a discount. Unfortunately, many retailers, including some big chain stores, sell it as new to the next purchaser. A good deal of returned equipment, at least from big retailers who have clout with the manufacturer, does indeed make its way back to the manufacturer where it is refurbished and labelled as such. Returns have been a big problem for both manufacturers and retailers. For example, people have been known to buy a big screen TV for a superbowl party, then return it the next week. Manufacturers have tightened up their return policies in the last few years because of the impact on their bottom line. Consequently, so have some retailers. But it is still a big problem for the industry and drives up the price you and I pay for our equipment.

In the state I live in, at least, there is no legal requirement for a retailer to accept returns of good merchandise, although the return policy does have to be clearly posted. But most retailers have to allow returns to get the business. Damned if they do, damned if the do.

Personally, I have never returned equipment which was not faulty. I do my research before buying. I have never been disappointed with an equipment purchase, even over the internet when I did not have the opportunity to preview the item before buying it.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
At least in the case of Best Buy, the outrageous prices they charge for open box doesn't make me feel too sorry for them. These aren't even complete items (missing remotes, manuals, etc), so they probably got restocking fees in many cases as well?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a Sony 51WS500 but it came down with the flicker problem so I returned it for a Hitachi 51UWX20B. I have found that the Hitachi has a much better picture than the Sony.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I returned a Mits 65909 (diamond line) and got a Sony 65WV700 and am happy I did.

One thing I have a problem with is that it is hard to evaluate a RPTV on the showroom floor, i mean the lighting conditions stink and i really do not want to spend 30 minutes adjusting the convergence. Almost all of the bigscreens are way out of convergence, I wish the stores would set up the TV's better.

So I do not feel bad that I returned a big item, at the amount they costs I deserve to be satisfied with my purchase.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.