AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the HR 20-23 the only HD DVRs that will work with DirectTV? Are there other brands out there? I've already got 4 HD receivers (2 DVR) from D* and am planning on having a 5th installed, but was curious if there's anything else out there. Mostly because my monthly D* bill is approaching $150 and with another receiver it'll proably be closer to $175 which is getting ridiculous (Yeah, I'm an AV idiot. But aren't we all?). Thanks.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
With DirecTV, you are currently limited to their HR20-HR23 DVRs.

DirecTV is expected to release a new and improved (i.e. faster) DVR platform in 4-6 months. This new DirecTV DVR platform (HR24 or HR25?) will be available with the customer's choice of the DirecTV or TiVo DVR software.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/16949005

DirecTV is expected to release a new and improved (i.e. faster) DVR platform in 4-6 months. This new DirecTV DVR platform (HR24 or HR25?) will be available with the customer's choice of the DirecTV or TiVo DVR software.

Where did you read this?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee78221 /forum/post/16949165

Where did you read this?

I think its common knowledge on DBSTalk? DirecTV has said repeatedly that it is working on a new DVR platform and improved UI for release late this year or early next. TiVo said it is not producing any new hardware for DirecTV, and that all future DirecTiVo software will run on DirecTV's DVR platform. TiVo recently disclosed that its software would run on DirecTV's next DVR platform in early 2010.

The specifics are unknown, of course. We don't know exactly when the new platform will arrive. We don't know if the TiVo software will be available at launch or some time after. We don't know how much more, if anything, the TiVo software will cost than the DirecTV software. We don't know whether the software will come preinstalled on separate boxes, or whether customers will be able to pick which software they want on setup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, since the room will be completed on Monday, I'll just bite the bullet and get a current DirecTV HDDVR. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro /forum/post/16949312

Well, since the room will be completed on Monday, I'll just bite the bullet and get a current DirecTV HDDVR. Thanks for the quick response.

If the installer has multiple DVRs in his truck, you might ask for the HR20. The HR20 has a smaller hard drive than the HR22/HR23 (300-320GB vs 500GB), but it is noticeably more responsive.

You can connect an external eSATA drive on any DirecTV DVR and it replaces the internal storage.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro /forum/post/16948980

Are the HR 20-23 the only HD DVRs that will work with DirectTV? Are there other brands out there? I've already got 4 HD receivers (2 DVR) from D* and am planning on having a 5th installed, but was curious if there's anything else out there. Mostly because my monthly D* bill is approaching $150 and with another receiver it'll proably be closer to $175 which is getting ridiculous (Yeah, I'm an AV idiot. But aren't we all?). Thanks.

It's only $5 more per month not $25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts