AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 8 year old 31" Proscan TV that has served me well and gives me a very good picture from cable TV and through my stand alone TiVo. I am looking to replace it with an HDTV. I've been looking at various rear projection sets as well as the Sony 40XBR800 TV. The thing that has disturbed me is how BAD the TV's look with regular old analog TV signals. I have looked at several sets at CC and at my local high end AV store and they all looked pretty bad. I guess the 40" Sony was the best but I still don't think it looked as good as my current TV.

So, are there any HDTV's that show a decent analog TV picture since that is mostly what I'll be watching for awhile? My cable company is going to be rolling out HDTV soon with Motorola DCT-5100 boxes that we have to buy, but even then, most of of the stuff I'll be watching will be through my TiVo. So what do you all recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well I don't know that the image quality is any better than any other set but I really do appreciate TheatreWide settings on my Toshiba. They make 4:3 material really look natural on a widescreen without losing much of the picture on the top and bottom.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it still a problem running 4:3 video at 4:3 with the gray bars on the side for long periods? I really don't like seeing 4:3 video stretched.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Given that you expect to watch analog cable and your cable company doesn't offer HD yet, why would you want to replace your current TV if it's still working fine?

Your essentially paying today's prices for something you won't make use of until some point in the future, unless you want to go to sat or OTA with antenna to pick up locals, or watch enough DVDs.

I suggest you figure out exactly what you can receive in HD and would watch before you buy anything.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The answer (which you have already suggested) is DVDs. They look much better on a large widescreen HDTV than they do on a old NTSC 4:3 CRT set.

I recently upgraded because I was sick of watching widescreen DVDs on an old 32inch Sony CRT. I expect to watch more DVDs and less Cable TV. I have been waiting a couple of years for Digital cable, when it arrives I will start subscribing to HBO, until then we watch HBO shows when they come out on DVD (we subscribe to netflix).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Trader4
Given that you expect to watch analog cable and your cable company doesn't offer HD yet, why would you want to replace your current TV if it's still working fine?

Your essentially paying today's prices for something you won't make use of until some point in the future, unless you want to go to sat or OTA with antenna to pick up locals, or watch enough DVDs.

I suggest you figure out exactly what you can receive in HD and would watch before you buy anything.
Well, I been dying to get a new set for some time and now that HD cable is about 3 months away, I'm starting to seriously look at my options. If I go with HD cable, we will be getting all of our local stations in HD plus HBO, Showtime, Discovery, and in the Spring, ESPN with more to come in the future. Plus, I'd like DVDs to look even better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Is Hitachi's website ridiculously slow for everyone else??
Hey Todd,

Yes, their website has been extremely slow this past week. Not sure what's going on.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Todd,

I noticed you said you don't like stretching 4:3, but have you seen a Toshiba H or HDX model in a stretch mode? You can rarely tell it's a stretched picture. It's not perfect, but seems to be the best.

Also, FWIW, my eyes tell me the Toshiba's produce a better picture from the crappier inputs. Maybe it's due to their CableClear? Not sure if that's just marketing hype or what....

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
If analog 4:3 is that important to you I would suggest looking at a 4:3 HD set with anamorphic squeeze. The Sony HS30's come to mind. I own an HS10 which was the previous years model and I am pretty happy with it. I also own a Hitachi 65SWX20B. I find that when I watch 4:3 I am mainly watching on the Sony.

Dino

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dinot --

You miss his point .. the whole reason he is getting the new set is to watch DVD's on a large screen widescreen .. now why would he want a 4x3 so that he can continue to watch with bars ?

What you want is a Toshiba Cinema series .. best stretch modes out there .. top of the line quality and good pricing .. Hitachi's SWX series is a tad better (note a TAD) but for that privlage you pay $600 more for the same size set .. Tosh HDX is where its at :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.