AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a good HD tuner card to put in the system I'm building. I've checked out MyHD, HiPix DTV-200, Win-TV and accessDTV. I'm thinking MyHD based on features, but I'm new at this and I don't want to buy a dog. I'm also taking it slow as money allows, so I am willing to wait a few months if something (like MyHD-120) better is coming along.

What do yo think?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
--What do yo think?--

Welcome to the group.

I think that if you are "taking it slow as money allows", you should use that time productively.

A good place to start would be the FAQ stuck up at the top. Then run searches. Then come back here every day looking for current info.

Once you have done that, then you will be in a postion to ask informed questions and you will get better answers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You don't need to worry about the MyHD being a dog. As for waiting til the 120 comes out, as far as been explained, it will be almost identical to the 100, except that it will have DVI out. I just received mine last week and installed it last night. It works well, but I'm far from an expert on it. Have fun in your search/study for the right parts.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I picked the MyHD because of features. It has two RF inputs for two antennas or an antenna and cable. That's a great feature and one that is unique to the MyHD.

The HD picture is stunning. The MyHD software is slightly quirky but usable. I am loading version 1.6 this weekend.

Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would go with the MyHD. I just bought two and I was switching from the HiPix. I like it a lot and the other two weren't a choice for me since they can't start a capture if the PC is suspended. I started on release 1.6 and the only issue I've seen so far is a quirky issue with DScaler running, but it hasn't been a show-stopper so far. The DVI on the MyHD-120 doesn't do anything for me since my run to my projector is RGBHV and I don't have DVI on it anyway.

Tim

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You might also want to investigate the FusionHDTV cards (I and II). These new cards cost/will cost significantly less because of their software based decoding, but they do require a faster CPU.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have been using the HiDTV card since early January and it has been working really well for me.

1. HiDTV has better tuner performance than my DTC-100. I am using an attic antenna and receive 13 DTV stations here in the DFW area. Fox4 on channel 35 has some multipath problems and my DTC-100 occasionally has problems receiving that channel. Channel 35 reception is just fine with HiDTV.

2. HiDTV timed recordings are very dependable. On the average, I do one timed recording per day and have never had a failure. HiDTV has a status window which sometimes says the recording was not successful but I always obtain good recordings.

3. HiDTV monitor connection can be VGA or component video. I have tried both on my Pioneer HD510HD monitor and both connections work fine.

4. Supports S/PDIF connection to my Pioneer receiver where AC-3 decoded 5.1 sound is excellent. As an option, HiDTV also provides software audio decode through the PCs audio card.

5. I had absolutely no problems installing the HiDTV card and software.

6. I opted for the StreamZap remote control and it works well. I primarily use the play, pause, skip 30 seconds, skip 5 seconds functions. Selecting a new file to play can be done with the remote and the on-screen display. HiDTV is kinda slow when switching to the on-screen display. The on-screen file list looks like DOS. It is actually fairly easy to navigate and I have no problems navigating though recording file lists on any of my three hard disks.

7. I like the "channel information" window. There is a nice list of channels. You can select each channel and get a numerical 0-100 and colored bar which indicates signal strength/quality. You can set up a favorites channel list which is a subset of the full channel list.

8. There is an A/V Information window which provides channel info such as 1980x1080I, 16:9 or 4:3, video bit rate, video frame rate, audio bit rate.

9. The HiDTV card also receives and records analog TV. I rarely use HiDTV for analog TV recording since my VCR handles that task just fine.

10. My only complaint with HiDTV is with the amount of overscan I get with my Pioneer monitor. (Pioneer monitors are known for overscan.) Overscan is the same for VGA and component connections. Overscan is noticably greater then what I get with the DTC-100. I am hopeful that this can be addressed in a future HiDTV software release.

In summary, HiDTV does everything I expected it to do. With the increase in HDTV programming now, I frequently watch a live program with the DTC-100 will the HiDTV is busily recording another program.

DonP

Plano, TX

·
Registered
262 Posts
DonP, what kind of file extension does HiDTV record in and are you using both HD cards in one system or do you have 2 networked systems?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eiffel
You might also want to investigate the FusionHDTV cards (I and II). These new cards cost/will cost significantly less because of their software based decoding, but they do require a faster CPU.
I got to see this card at NAB. Looked good, but they had a over heat problem with the "shuttle" they ran it in. (I will never get one, always hear about over heat.)

I will go with someting with onboard decoed. I wan't to put my next card in something alitte lower power then my P4. But I'm a year or so away.

Linky: www.dvico.com

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
--I will go with someting with onboard decoed.--

Not me. I have been waiting for software based cards.

In my mind, the software is as important, if not more important, than the hardware. If the hardware locks me into one piece of software and that software does not meet my needs, I may as well toss the card.

It's like buying a scanner that only works with PhotoShop. If PhotoShop is the only program you will ever use, great, but I prefer choices and I don't get those with the Terralogic based cards like MyHD.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
comstar, I'd be careful with the overheating conclusions:

In my system, it generates less heat than an AccessDTV card (which should be comparable to the MyHD and HiDTV from this standpoint)... at idle temperature drops by 3C. The smaller footprint should also make for better air flow in the case...

What is true though is that it requires more CPU horsepower (800 MHz for Dxva assisted decoding, 2 GHz for full software), and that this makes the CPU generate more heat, which can reveal pre-existing problems is small and quiet cases (but, quite frankly, if you can't run a P4 close to full utilization, you might want to go for a lower power CPU and run it close to its maximum and be better off from a financial and cooling perspective)

One last thing, you could look at the Fusion-II as a 2-in-1 card (HDTV + Dscaler/universal analog capture card). The other cards lock you into their proprietary solution for analog capture/display

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bought a MyHD card recently. I have been quite happy with it. No major install problems. Occassional software quirks but overall my experience has been positive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eiffel
What is true though is that it requires more CPU horsepower (800 MHz for Dxva assisted decoding, 2 GHz for full software), and that this makes the CPU generate more heat, which can reveal pre-existing problems is small and quiet cases
That's more what I ment (I need to be more clear). When I went by 30min later they had the hoods off both of their units and they were working fine.

I think the card and CPU are normal. The "shuttle" case just lacks venlation for heaver than normal loads (I've heard gamers complain:) ).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Apparently, there are no plans to sell the Sasem cards in the US. The Dvico Fusion cards have very active support on this forum. It might not hurt to have some competition in this niche.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hanson
DonP, what kind of file extension does HiDTV record in and are you using both HD cards in one system or do you have 2 networked systems?
.ts is the file extension for HiDTV recordings.

The DTC-100 is the widely used RCA set-top box. I referred to the DTC-100 only as a comparison of OTA reception performance.

DonP

·
Registered
70 Posts
The sole vendor of HiDTV has my money and has started the "out of stock, due in by the end of the week" song and dance.

(edited for running time and reformatted to fit your screen)

3 weeks longer than advertised to receive.

The remote control and remote receiver were obviously returned by someone, the bags and batteries were unsealed and used. Haven't checked yet to see if they work, because ...

... it prevented the PC from finishing booting Win2K. This PC is loaded and I suspect the ATI AIW Rage 128 card is conflicting. So I installed it in a simpler Athlon box with nothing but the ports it was born with, a GeForce 2 and a SB Live! card. Looped the VGA through (don't have a "HD" TV).

Card didn't fit in the slot well, the bracket bumps against the side so it won't sit tight (in either PC); some "mechanical adjustment" will make that work but I won't do that until further problems are satisfactorily resolved.

The supplied audio connection (for analog) has connectors that do not fit the SB Live. They would fit the mainboard audio connection, if I was using that. Audio came across the PCI bus OK, into the WAV mixer i/p. Another thing I will have to mod if everything else gets resolved.

XP autoinstalled some sort of driver for the HiDTV card to the point that I could not install the correct driver from the CD according to instructions. Having fought driver wars before (I have an ATI card after all) I figured out how to deinstall the one XP thoughtfully provided and forced the one on from the CD.

During this process the HiDTV viewer locked twice and crashed the machine (blue screen) once.

With the proper driver in, actually was able to start adding channels. By then it was after 0130 and only one digital station was still on the air. In the middle of adding channels manually the dialog locked up. Killing the process failed, had to reboot. This is not what I would describe as stable software.

Finally got a digital lock, station has 3 sub channels: CBS, weather radar and real estate commercials. In the render window the picture was below ATI-AIW but since video was over PCI that's expected. Switching to Hi-Def the picture was beautiful. Recorded a few minutes. Went back to look and was disappointed that I'd recorded the real estate commercials. Oh, wait, the whole transport stream is recorded. Switched subchannels, there was Weird Al rapping. Cool.

Since this was a temp install just slapped an old rabbit ears on the antenna i/p, with a little adjustment was able to get a digital pic (xmitter is only a dozen or so miles away). Analog pictures were terrible, this is rabbit ears in the basement next to a PC, to be expected. Yet when the digital locked the pic was excellent.

Still think this card is overpriced and the software immature, but I'm slapping a spare SVGA monitor on the HD output and will have my first digital HDTV, small screen and all, for a $320 investment. Tune in tomorrow as I swap the video cards and put the HiDTV into the HTPC it belongs in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought both the MyHD and Fusion I card for a system I was building for a customer. In a P4 2.53Ghz system with a Radeon 9700, I prefer the Fusion card. It isn't as convenient as the myHD card for software features or stability (and the tuner is slightly better in the myHD card). But scaling with the Radeon card as opposed to a hardware solution is NOT a subtle difference. It's a HUGE advantage for the fusion in my books. Absolutely gorgeous picture... the myHD pales in comparison...

this is just my totally subjective opinion, but if you have enough processing power and can put up with the lack of features in the software, the Fusion II with dual RF inputs would be the solution I recommend most....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.