AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Panny TH50PHD8UK two years ago. According to the opinions on this forum there is no noticeable difference in picture quality between component and HDMI input. So I didn't purchase optional HDMI blade for this TV at the time. Now with HD DVD, Blue Ray DVD, and upconvert DVD all require HDMI input, it seems inevitable that I need to buy a HDMI input for this TV.

My question is what options I have for HDMI input. Is the blade listed on the owner's manual (TY-FB8HM) still the only option I have now? This blade only has one HDMI input and cost $160 (@Amazon). It there any other alternative that may have more than one input or cost less? If I can only get one HDMI input with the blade is my only other option HDMI switch? Which switch would you recommend?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You could always get 2 blades and put them in slots 1 & 2 if you want. Also, the 7-series blades will work in this model as well, maybe you could find one of those cheaper?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The 7 series will work, but I remember it only uses 1/2 the resolution for HD 1080i though. So the 8 series blade is the way to go. The new 10 series blade won't work. $160 is too high. If you don't mind used, you should be able to find one a lot cheaper. Also try some of the forum sponsors like VA. I got mine a lot time ago from PC Connection. You could try a site like Froogle, dealtime, mysimon, pricegrabber, or any other shopping 'bot too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts