AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get an HDMI switch for my setup. I currently have a HD DVD, PS3, and a cable box that I would like to connect to my TV. I am think about getting this HDMI switch from monoPrice.com. Would I get any HDMI error messages with this, or should I consider another switch? Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the mention, John.

To the OP -

What I've found through personal experience, testing for our company, and listening on this forum is that there are two main reasons HDMI switchers fail to work:

1) Improper implementation of HDCP on the source or display device, or

2) Improper implementation of HDCP on the switcher itself

The first problem isn't the switcher's fault. It's the fault of the HDMI devices connected through it. Many early cable boxes, for example, didn't recognize "repeater" devices, which is what a switcher is considered in the HDCP world. Therefore, when connected directly to a display, the source worked fine, but when run through a switcher, it didn't work because that unit's HDCP programming throught the switcher was some sort of illegal black box, and therefore wouldn't work.

The second problem can be easily remedied or prevented by the manufacturer building an HDCP compliant product, then putting the switcher through both HDMI and HDCP compliance testing. Many low cost switches (and even some high-cost ones, surprisingly) aren't compliance tested because it's expensive and would raise their cost. It also means that problems are sometimes common with those switchers (this varies from brand to brand, build to build). You see, HDMI compliance testing is required currently for HDMI products, but HDCP compliance testing isn't required.

So it's important to buy an HDMI and HDCP compliance tested switcher so you can have reasonable confidence that it will work both now and in the future.

That's my informational blurb for the day

Trent

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad to hear it! Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Trent

·
Registered
901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Authority /forum/post/0

Glad to hear it! Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Trent

Some questions on the AVAtrix:

1. This is probably a stupid question but I just want to be absolutely sure. I assume you can watch 6 different sources simultaneously in 7 different rooms using the AVX-661 - AVAtrix, or even more if you expand the system? (ie you don't have to all watch the same source)

2. I know this unit can accomodate HDMI using adapters, but what is the extra cost for these adapters?

3. Will you be coming out with an all HDMI version of this unit (ie that can accept HDMI input at the switch and provide HDMI output at the wallplates)?

4. I would like to connect a Personal Video Recorder as an input to this unit. The remote control for this unit (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR) has quite a few keys on it. As I understand it, the remote you supply selects the source but then how do I use the other functions on the PVR through the IR on the wallplate? Using the remote provided by Scientific Atlanta or yours?

5. What is your view of going with an all component video solution, such as your AVX-561, vs Gefen's 4x4 HDMI Matrix ($2,000), which appears to come out to the same cost as yours when you add the fact you have to buy the 4 sets of Gefen HDMI/Cat5e baluns ($500 each). Of course, you only get 4-in/4-out vs 6-in/7-out. I guess I am wondering about your view on the longevity of component vs HDMI solutions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm /forum/post/0

Some questions on the AVAtrix:

1. This is probably a stupid question but I just want to be absolutely sure. I assume you can watch 6 different sources simultaneously in 7 different rooms using the AVX-661 - AVAtrix, or even more if you expand the system? (ie you don't have to all watch the same source)

2. I know this unit can accomodate HDMI using adapters, but what is the extra cost for these adapters?

3. Will you be coming out with an all HDMI version of this unit (ie that can accept HDMI input at the switch and provide HDMI output at the wallplates)?

4. I would like to connect a Personal Video Recorder as an input to this unit. The remote control for this unit (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR) has quite a few keys on it. As I understand it, the remote you supply selects the source but then how do I use the other functions on the PVR through the IR on the wallplate? Using the remote provided by Scientific Atlanta or yours?

5. What is your view of going with an all component video solution, such as your AVX-561, vs Gefen's 4x4 HDMI Matrix ($2,000), which appears to come out to the same cost as yours when you add the fact you have to buy the 4 sets of Gefen HDMI/Cat5e baluns ($500 each). Of course, you only get 4-in/4-out vs 6-in/7-out. I guess I am wondering about your view on the longevity of component vs HDMI solutions.

Thanks,

eonibm,

Talking about the AVAtrix in this thread would be off topic - please private message me or email me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to discuss this.

Trent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.