AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I am experiencing analysis paralysis in my quest for a large HDTV. I have my HTPC doing everything I want it to on my desktop 19" monitor (ripped DVD's, SageTV, Games), and as I research HDTV's it looks like none of them will fit all of my criteria:

1) Plasmas can potentially suffer burn-in...since I estimate I'll use this set for up to 50% gaming (xbox and pc...with lots of static images), this scares the bejesus out of me. Also I run Xlobby for my music collection, and I would hate to always have to worry about shutting the screen off while it's playing an album because of the static images. Also can plasmas handle the various gaming resolutions without having to constantly tweak powerstrip? (800x600, 1024x768, etc...)

2) DLP...I find these sets extremely fatiguing to my eyse, and their off-axis brightness is the worst of the bunch. Probably the best solution for HTPC's, but can these also adjust for standard computer resolutions through VGA?

3) LCD Rear projection. I love the image of the Sony xbr950 sets, but reading the DVI to GWIII thread in this forum would scare off anyone except the hardest-core tweakers from trying to play pc games off of this set...

4) Front Projection...don't even want to go there due to the ambient light requirements...

So what is out there (if anything) in the 50-60" range that behaves like a regular PC monitor (can display all games resolutions with no over/underscan)? and that is actually SUITED for PC use (which I don't think plasmas are, due to burn in...)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcruse

So what is out there (if anything) in the 50-60" range that behaves like a regular PC monitor (can display all games resolutions with no over/underscan)? and that is actually SUITED for PC use (which I don't think plasmas are, due to burn in...)
Short answer, nothing.

All HTPC displays have some form of compromise associated with them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you looked at displays such as the Samsung LTN406W. It is a 40" LCD Wide HDTV Monitor with Multi-Media PC/DVD/TV Inputs. The native resolution is 1280x768, which any graphics card can handle without problem. And your 4:3 games will just run at 1024x768, but that is no prob (burn-in concerns) with an LCD.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My experience with 2 displays:

Pioneer PDP-503CMX. A really nice 50" plasma. 1280x768 resolution works well with most video cards. No overscan. Really nice picture with wide viewing angle. Quiet (has fans but they aren't on all the time. In fact I have never heard them come on). Burn-in issues are a bit exaggerated, IMO. If you calibrate the display properly (ie. turn down contrast and brightness to realistic levels) and you make sure you break up your video game playing with some TV/DVD viewing that fills the screen, then the risk of burn-in is minimal.

Samsung HLN-567W. 56" rear-projection DLP display. 1280x720 resolution. Also should be compatible with most video cards. Does have some overscan when using 1:1 pixel mapping. No burn-in issues. Has a fairly wide horizontal viewing angle, but a narrow vertical viewing angle. Very bright, vibrant picture. Some people are bothered by the "rainbow effect" of the colour wheel. Not sure if this is what you noticed, but in general, if you have viewing fatigue after a long time, chances are that you are watching a bright picture in a darkened environment. Either turn down brightness, or turn on a light. Another problem with this set is that it takes around 30 sec when first turned on before it displays a picture.

Between the two, I would choose the Plasma, but I am still quite happy with the DLP.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I sort of went through all this math myself. 50 inches puts you really in a RP world, unless you truly have ACRES of money to play with.

My big issue buying a plasma that large would be two things: First off, they stink when you sit close, as in, 8 feet away gaming at that size. Even the nicest ones at CES suffered from the "sit on the floor and play games" test. I'd also be worried about dead pixels - not initially of course, as you could return it, but eventually. We have a half dozen or so plasmas around my company that are used all the time, different brands. Most have at least one nagging dead pixel.

The nicest stuff I saw in this size were the high end RPs - Lcos and LCD and DLP - all with different pros and cons.

Of course, if you are on a budget, you can also get a SWEET CRT RPTV that size. I drive mine off a PC exclusively, and it rocks hard.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I personally use Sony kf42we610 (GWIII) and out of all the things I had to setup on my HTPC, this component took the least amount of effort and time to setup. As you read through the famed GWIII via DVI thread, there are loads of information, postings of questions, and mostly different people misunderstanding the information posted (myself included). I find that GWIII offers the easiest way to fix over/under scan problems.

As you search through the forum, you'll find different ways people came up with fixing the problem - from custom resolutions and timings, to extra toolbars all around the screen, to duct tape (I did enjoy that theme continously reappearing). GWIII owners just use the service menu to adjust the display and do not worry about it.

There are many arguments here and on RP forum about differences and preferences between LCD RP and DLP, but if you find DLP to be too tiring, LCD RP is your only choice. I bought my Sony 2 months ago and have been recommending it to all my friends and co-workers since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I currently use a Zenith c27v22 (much too small for what you're interested in), but am lusting after the Panasonic 50LC13 LCD RPTV. I like the price point and the VGA input with native 720p support (and support for computer resolutions like SVGA).

Many will undoubtedly criticize it for black levels and internal reflections, etc., but it seems like a good compromise to me.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I agree with MentatGom. I've been spoiled this past year with 17" LCD monitors conected via DVI to AIW 9700 Pro. Currently using syncmaster 172w(ide). And will not compromise for anything of lesser quality. been looking at plasmas as well but even when the best panny is on dvi it doesn't look near as good as my lcd. I'd go with the Sammy 403T if I could afford it. Later this year bigger better LCD panels are coming out. And prices will come down on the 40" size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.