AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say under 40" cause I DONT want a projection set. Please dont say Sony either!!

I am just looking for pic quality, I could care less about options and features.

Thanks,

Chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

Get the X-Box, you wont be dissapointed!!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Chef423 I am still loving my 38 inch RCA F38319 for $2999 as it is fully integrated 'no' set box needed line doubler and direct TV receiver built in dimensions 19 inches vertical and 34 inches in width in screen glass measurement.

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've been trying to discover similar information with this post but you may not like the answer. I really haven't found a monitor that fits all my needs. I think the closest I've come with a direct vew monitor is the Sampo SME-34WHD5, but due to some problems that some people report in this model, I'm going to wait for the 2002 model and look again at rear projection.

Good luck with your search. --ma

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
 www.**************.com

2249.00 for the 38" RCA 16x9 if you get the Dish 145.00. Get the dish and plug you XBOX in the component input and be happy Dam IT!

Sears will match the price also.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

[This message has been edited by taron1 (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats up taron1. Do I see you over at the teamxbox forums?

I have had some people say this is a nice set. The dot pitch is some where near .75, which really isnt bad. You can still easily get 1152x864. I play all my PC games at that res and they look very nice http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Its a toss between the Sampo 34"(2002) the Panny TAU 34" or the RCA set. Next step is go to go some stores to demo all three. One bad thing though, I wont know if they are calibrated properly.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Man, I am glad you narrowed it down. Sears, GoodGuys are two places to go check it out. Just worry about how good a HDTV single looks on the set but if the color is off then it can be adjusted. RCA will gets you all that you need with a great price. The Panasonic is very nice with a flat screen but no turner(ATSC). Sampo is also a good choice but I personally have not seen it.

------------------

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I said before this is one I would recommend! 2249.00 and it has everything you need. Don't go to a place like Circuit City or Best Buy to see it, they usually don't have HD running on the set. Get the Dish and you get the rebate I think. You'll ready for the HD College games and, wait where you live?

By the way I have the set, I paid 3K plus for mine.

------------------

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quincy, IL. About 2 hrs. north north-west of St. Louis right on the mississippi.

I have a dish, DSS. I love the college football games http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I havent found out what the situation is with my DSS sub. I dont know if I can even get any channel in HD. I think I need an oval dish instead of the round one I have. I have a freind who is an installer for DSS, I am going to call him and see what I need to get the signal.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Buy the Oval (you get the rebate) so you can pick up two Satellites one is HD and watch Mark Cuban's HDnet and HBOHD.
http://www.hdpictures.com/stations2.htm check this site to see what OTA(over the Air) digital locals are up. You just need an antenna and the 38" to receive the Local HD. Anyone from Chicago jump in and let him know what's up with the signals.

------------------

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the RCA F38310 need alot of calibration right out of the box? Are there any issue with this set that I need to be aware of? I want to get one of Ebay and save money, but if these sets are a "hit and miss" with bugs, I dont want any part of that. Please rely, thanks taron1.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol. At least we have corn around us and not a bunch of pollution.

I used to live in Houston, 14yrs., so I know all about it.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not getting the RCA, no 480p support http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Looks like I am going to keep looking.....*sigh*

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What do you mean no 480P support?

------------------

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Chef,

If you are concerned about the fact that the RCA F38310 upconverts progressive DVD inputs to 540p, I would not let that stop you from considering this set. My best friend recently bought one of these monsters, and progressive-scan DVD's and HDTV look stunning. (Not as stunning as they look on my projector, mind you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif , but darn good for a picture tube TV.)

There are legitimate reasons to be wary of this set--it weighs over 235 pounds, it incorporates a DirecTV tuner that you may not need, and it has had quality-control issues--but its picture quality is not one of them.

------------------

Scott Gammans
DFAST is EVIL! BOYCOTT ANTI-CONSUMER 5C/DVI/HDCP MANUFACTURERS!
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Panny Tau 34" (CT34WX50) is a really nice set. Once calibrated with AVIA the picture with progressive scan DVD is stunning. Regular cable quality is just too poor and I have not tried HD. If you search this board (and others) you will find comments about red push. For me, calibration was all that was needed. You can find the set at Sears, ABT Electronics, Tweeter, and I would guess many other B&M's. I found that sets on display at stores are rarely properly calibrated. You may find a store that will allow you to do some tweaking with AVIA so you can demo the set with a DVD that you are familiar with. Cannot comment on the Sampo but, at the time, I think the RCA was just becoming available and I was leery of the quality issues.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans:
Chef,

If you are concerned about the fact that the RCA F38310 upconverts progressive DVD inputs to 540p, I would not let that stop you from considering this set. My best friend recently bought one of these monsters, and progressive-scan DVD's and HDTV look stunning. (Not as stunning as they look on my projector, mind you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif , but darn good for a picture tube TV.)

There are legitimate reasons to be wary of this set--it weighs over 235 pounds, it incorporates a DirecTV tuner that you may not need, and it has had quality-control issues--but its picture quality is not one of them.

Thanks for the reply. The RCA doesnt support 480p. So if I want to display the X-Box in 480p(it supports it) it will take it up to 540p? I am confused here.

chef423

------------------

MTFBWY!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.