AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone see, the what i like about you hd debut on wb tonight? what was your impressions. i thought it looked better then many sitcoms from other networks -- BUT; i only get to watch hd ota via svideo here , but still in those term/method it looked good and better then may others look via svideo. so how did it look via hd output.

hd via svideo looks better then sd which always puzzles me how hd at sd resolutions(svideo) looks better then native sd; and better then one would think. i can possibly see why people record teh movies channels via svideo if they don;t have a 5000

also even via svideo i can tell if a camera is sd wide or hd on monday night football, the sd if fuzzier by alot, which just doesn't make sense to me. How is hd via an sd resolution port displayed on my lcd monitor clearer looking then a program/shot orginationg at sd resolutions via teh same port

any ideas about this; why hd via svideo looks better then, sd via svideo

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Personally, I think all the WB HD shows look better than the other networks. Although, the CBS flop, My Big Fat Greek Life, looked pretty good while it lasted.

·
Registered
29,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100
hd via svideo looks better then sd which always puzzles me how hd at sd resolutions(svideo) looks better then native sd; and better then one would think. i can possibly see why people record teh movies channels via svideo if they don;t have a 5000

any ideas about this; why hd via svideo looks better then, sd via svideo
Sorry for the digression from the subject topic, but I've also often wondered about this. Watching an HD show, be it premium or network, through s-video looks every bit as sharp, clear, and crisp as watching it via component. What component seems to give is much brighter and more vibrant colors. Granted, my TV is a 32" direct-view model, but this has never made sense to me. I thought HD resolutions were only available thru component inputs, but it has never looked that way to me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the difference to me is nite & day.

john

Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
Sorry for the digression from the subject topic, but I've also often wondered about this. Watching an HD show, be it premium or network, through s-video looks every bit as sharp, clear, and crisp as watching it via component. What component seems to give is much brighter and more vibrant colors. Granted, my TV is a 32" direct-view model, but this has never made sense to me. I thought HD resolutions were only available thru component inputs, but it has never looked that way to me.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree there is a large difference between hd and sd, so big apparently i can see the difference via svideo even at sd resolutions.

I seriously wonder why this is, why hd watched via teh the svideo sd outputs look better then sd via those same ports.

how can i so clearly tell the difference between sd wide and hd shots on MNF if i am watching via svideo sd output. how is everything hd sharper then sd even tho i am watching the hd at sd resolutions. apparently oversampleing works wonders

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I'm gonna take a shot at this.

S-Video connections are capable of passing more resolution than you get in a SD source.

Since a HD source has more resolution than a SD source your able to see more reolution through your S-video input from a HD source than you are able to from a SD source. Even if the HD source is down-rezed to pass through the S-video input it still has more resolution than a native SD source.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The picture was above average but a little grainy. The opening credits looked real good, looked like it was shot on video. Garth is a good comedic actress, much better than her 90120 days. It is too bad they put this show opposite CSI.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really daryl thanks that makes sence then

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Yeah, I surprised that the WB isn't getting more "atta boys" from the gang here. Their HD line up is at 77%. No too shabby. I'm finding myself watching them more an more now. Too bad they didn't go with a full DD5.1 lineup though like ABC. I guess there is more to look forward too still.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Not only is s-video probably capable of more resolution than the average NTSC signal (especially chroma) but also there will be a (correct) impression of more detail because of the lack of much of the analog noise.

- Tom

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Well, I don't have a local WD thats digital yet but even in analog an dull old mono sound I really like this show. I agree Jennie Garth is more enjoyable to watch in a comedic roll (very pretty too). She's quite good. And her chemistry with Amanda Bynes and Amanda's comedic timing is very good. I watched it all last season.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
tonyb100,

One other point. Usually a SD channel is just a clear, clean digitized version of their analog channel at the analog source before it gets weak and dirty. Like trbarry said, minnus the snow and ghosting that accompanies a analog signal.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that makes sence, thanks guys!

i can tell teh difference on mnf between sd widescreen carmera shots and the hd shots, the sd ones look much worse then the hd, is that becuase svideo exceeds the resolution of the sd widescreen cameras too.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i too watched all season last year and was impressed with how well jenny and Amanda did. they are very good together it was one of the few shows i could stand to watch in sd. now that it is in hd i am very pleased

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Quote:
the sd ones look much worse then the hd, is that becuase svideo exceeds the resolution of the sd widescreen cameras too.
I'm not sure what the cameras resolution is but I doubt thats the signal limiting factor. I think the SD feed they transmit after the cameras is only around 480 to 500 lines. A S-Video connection is capable of passing up close to 700 lines. So s-video can pass more info (lines, detail, resolution) from a down-rezed HD signal than a SD source.

I know my numbers aren't accurate but it gives you a general idea why HD through a S-video connection can look better than SD through a S-video connection.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
KTLA here in Los Angeles seems to be muticasting which knocks down the quality of the 1080i signal. They are also mapping their PSIP channel info to 75.1 and 75.2 as well as 5.1 and 5.2. Does anyone here know why they are doing this? Multicasting ruins a 1080i signal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.