AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to do before I sign the paper? Do I need to open it up and make sure there are no cracks on the screen and major stuff like that?

Or do I take it all the way to getting it put up and turned on and stuff??

Fill me in on this whole thing cause I usually just sign and go..

·
Registered
362 Posts
well to be honest i don't know how UPS will deal with these because they are always in a rush, but in my point of view i will definitely open the box and test the new set and see if everything is good, cosmetic damage, etc etc. then after i see that everything is good i go ahead and sign the paper. if i see that the set is damage i got the driver as a proof and call the company and let them know, so UPS takes it back.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You can inspect the box and have the driver acknowledge any apparent damage to the packaging. Other than that they are not going to sit around waiting for you.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders4617
What do I need to do before I sign the paper? Do I need to open it up and make sure there are no cracks on the screen and major stuff like that? Or do I take it all the way to getting it put up and turned on and stuff?? Fill me in on this whole thing cause I usually just sign and go..
Do Not "sign and go" when you're getting a TV delivered, especially if UPS is delivering it. Have a good flashlight ready, then when he gets there immediately check the outside fo the box for signs that the box had been laid on it's sides or has fallen over, then remove the upper portion of the box (assuming you bought a brand/model that has this type of box) and thoroughly inspect the screen for cracks, inspect the bezel for damage, and inspect the rear cover for cracks or dents, then get up close to the screen and shine the flashlight over every inch of the screen and look for small cracks that you may have missed on your initial inspection. Don't let him leave until you're completely satisfied that there is no damage.

I can't believe that a seller would be so stupid by shipping a TV with UPS - they're notorious for breaking large flat panel TVs. Who the heck did you buy this TV from?

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
I've personally bought 2 flat panels by mail order, one 50" and one 40" .. the 50" included "kid glove inside delivery" or some such and was delivered by "Guido" the semi-truck driver .. it worked out OK ..

The 40" was delivered by UPS and had clearly visible box damage .. he noted that on the scanner and went on his merry way even though I insisted he stick around while I unboxed and checked the set .. mumbling something to the effect of "Are you nuts or what .. ??" .. the panel was cracked and it took forever to go thru the insurance process as well as UPS making me feel like I was pulling some sort of scam ..

That said, I don't think UPS drivers are going to be too hip on a thorough examination upon delivery ..

·
Banned
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19651570

Do Not "sign and go" when you're getting a TV delivered, especially if UPS is delivering it. Have a good flashlight ready, then when he gets there immediately check the outside fo the box for signs that the box had been laid on it's sides or has fallen over, then remove the upper portion of the box (assuming you bought a brand/model that has this type of box) and thoroughly inspect the screen for cracks, inspect the bezel for damage, and inspect the rear cover for cracks or dents, then get up close to the screen and shine the flashlight over every inch of the screen and look for small cracks that you may have missed on your initial inspection. Don't let him leave until you're completely satisfied that there is no damage.

I can't believe that a seller would be so stupid by shipping a TV with UPS - they're notorious for breaking large flat panel TVs. Who the heck did you buy this TV from?

Excellent advice. Don't sign **** until your inspection confirms there are no obvious signs of external damage.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19651627

I've personally bought 2 flat panels by mail order, one 50" and one 40" .. the 50" included "kid glove inside delivery" or some such and was delivered by "Guido" the semi-truck driver .. it worked out OK ..

The 40" was delivered by UPS and had clearly visible box damage .. he noted that on the scanner and went on his merry way even though I insisted he stick around while I unboxed and checked the set .. mumbling something to the effect of "Are you nuts or what .. ??" .. the panel was cracked and it took forever to go thru the insurance process as well as UPS making me feel like I was pulling some sort of scam ..

That said, I don't think UPS drivers are going to be too hip on a thorough examination upon delivery ..

Easy solution, don't sign until satisfied, if driver doesn't like it let him leave with set. Then call UPS and tell them he refused to let you inspect. They will be back next day.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 /forum/post/19651765

Easy solution, don't sign until satisfied, if driver doesn't like it let him leave with set. Then call UPS and tell them he refused to let you inspect. They will be back next day.

And thus increase the risk of damage .. what I've done since my last experience is simply run a printout of the best on line deal, take it to a B&M that sells the same item and ask for a price match .. it's worked every time and eliminated the stress over delivery ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.