AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around and I've discovered some cool stuff I could do with a HTPC. But I've got some questions. I'm still in the investigate mode (too many other things going on to just jump in...) My system requirements sound pretty common to me, but I thought I'd check first. Video cards are my big problem. I really know nothing about PC video cards.

First I'm looking to make something to work with my RPTV Toshiba set. I don't really know of any video cards that will output component video. (via a 15 pin connecter is fine to YPbPr (I think that's the tosh input))

The idea would be to have every thing go out one way. The feature set I'd like to see includes:

HDTV tuner card

DVD-Video playback (internal DVD-ROM/writer)

input for LaserDisc, vcr, camcorder and maybe replaytv.

I'd like to set up the PC as a PVR and be able to archive to DVD-R(W).

Is it possible to do this in a simple configuration? The bottlenecks I see would be the input from LD, VCR, camcorder, etc. Would I need a source switcher to do this?

Output from the HDTV decoder, would that need to be a second component output to the second input on my display?

I see to use dScaler I need a video card with the brooktree chipset. I saw here there were serveral places with those cards for $40 or so. Are there any future plans to support other cards?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ATi was supposed to release a component dongle for their video card, but it has not materialized. It is not a big deal, since you can get a transcoder to do VGA -> component.

The things you want to do are fairly commonplace here. I'm not sure about it being a simple configuration, but it is not uncommon.

The video input would, as you said, center around DScaler. Currently it only supports the brooktree/conexant cards as it uses specific hardware features of them. I'm not sure about their plans for supporting other stuff.

Most of the HDTV cards have a pass-through for your video card so you probably will not need a second input on the HDTV.

The way I handle the source switching is at my receiver. All the sources run into that and I simply have the HTPC connected to the monitor output on the receiver. It is sitting between the receiver and the display so to speak.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks could you elaborate a bit more on the placement of the PC in the setup? It sounds like your video path goes

components->AV Reciever->HTPC->Display

Is this correct? How about the audio path?

What HDTV card do you use? Or do you not? And can you give me an idea of what you've got connected?

I was watching a LD today and kept thinking..... a scaler sure would be nice.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yes you are right on the path.

External audio components go the same path and stop before the HTPC. No HD card for me...

As for stuff connected externally, its really just a Dreamcast (sometimes) and a VCR.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I was concerned the audio stopped like that. My concern would be how do you keep the audio and video in sync? It would seem that all work done on the PC would cause a delay, no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.