AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have seen them for around $7999 on Ebay brand new ...

I guess they come from Japan where they are cheaper

wondering if it ever needs service what happens ...

opinions?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
$8,000 is high. You can get them around $6,700. Regardless - you ship it back to Japan.

I imported my Sharp XV-Z9000U 12 years ago and it is still working flawlessly. I saved $5,000 at the time.

These are devices which rarely fail - if somebody wants to take it up the rear from Sony and pay an extra $3,300 vs its price in Japan, they are welcome. I don't make a habit of gray-market, but in the rare instance where there is a gigantic price delta between countries on an item, and we live in an age of free information and instant communication, why pay a huge premium unless you have so much money it makes little difference to you.

If it does fail - well it may cost you.

I take the long view - I have insurance for catastrophic events that I can't afford to pay out of pocket - health care, auto accidents, house burning down, etc.

A projector failure is not a catastrophic event.

For consumer electronics it makes no sense to me, over the long run (i.e. a lifetime of buying many things) to pay for service plans, extended warranties, etc - if you are reasonably financially solvent and you can thus "self insure." You'll save a lot of money.

Reactions: JimboG

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
They're purchased online, not through a dealer. They ship them from Japan which means you don't get a warranty if you live outside of Japan. Please use some common sense and search for such services through Google. The url is banned from use on the forum so don't ask for it.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Hi, total newb when it comes to the more expensive projectors, but I was wondering what the minimum you'd have to spend to jump on the 4K projector bandwagon. Is 7 grand basically the minimum ?

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, just curious as to what is the least amount of cash you could spend and still get into the 4K projector game.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
There are only two 4K projectors out for consumers currently. Both of them are from Sony; the VPL-VW600ES and VPL-VW1100ES. You can buy them online from a service based in Japan. The 600ES can be purchased for around $7100 but you're forced to send the unit back to Japan if it needs repair as that's the country where the warranty is valid in. I realize this is a nice discount compared to current US prices, but for all of you proposing to purchase units from Japan I'd say be patient and wait for AVScience to get some b-stock units in. I'm sure the price will be close to the $7000 mark and your warranty will be US based and you'll also have an American dealer to go through if you have any issues. I'm sure we'll see some b-stocks come in pretty soon.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was thinking of buying a VW500ES from Japan. The cheapest I found was 2 different companies. 1 has the VW600ES for US$6041. The other has the new VW1100ES for US$14615. At that price I would jump on the 1100 if only I could find out if the companies are legit. They are cheap but of course if you lose your money then it's a costly exercise. I wish I knew somebody who lived over there.

If all else fails I may consider flying to Japan to get it in person. If I bought a 500/600 I would be saving $6K and the 1100 I would be saving $15K compared to local prices.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Take it from someone who lives in Japan, it's a pain buying big ticket items from small shops, unlike the rest of the world Japan is still a cash based society. You really need to make sure that 1. They accept foreign credit cards 2. If they even accept credit cards (Majority of shops online are cash on delivery) which means Japan address only. 3. Make sure price is after consumption tax which recently went up this month to 8%. Make sure your credit card has no foreign transaction fees otherwise 1-3% add on to price.

Big shops charge more but so much easier and hassle free and your credit card is guaranteed to work. B stock from the US is a safe and convenient bet. If you're trying to stretch that all mighty dollar just be advised.

I would exhaust all options in the US before going overseas. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico  /t/1526247/what-if-i-buy-the-new-sony-500es-4k-off-ebay-and-it-needs-service#post_24660892

Take it from someone who lives in Japan, it's a pain buying big ticket items from small shops, unlike the rest of the world Japan is still a cash based society. You really need to make sure that 1. They accept foreign credit cards 2. If they even accept credit cards (Majority of shops online are cash on delivery) which means Japan address only. 3. Make sure price is after consumption tax which recently went up this month to 8%. Make sure your credit card has no foreign transaction fees otherwise 1-3% add on to price.

Big shops charge more but so much easier and hassle free and your credit card is guaranteed to work. B stock from the US is a safe and convenient bet. If you're trying to stretch that all mighty dollar just be advised.

I would exhaust all options in the US before going overseas. That's my two cents.

He will also have an import tax.

·
Registered
822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED  /t/1526247/what-if-i-buy-the-new-sony-500es-4k-off-ebay-and-it-needs-service#post_24660603

I was thinking of buying a VW500ES from Japan. The cheapest I found was 2 different companies. 1 has the VW600ES for US$6041. The other has the new VW1100ES for US$14615. At that price I would jump on the 1100 if only I could find out if the companies are legit. They are cheap but of course if you lose your money then it's a costly exercise. I wish I knew somebody who lived over there.

If all else fails I may consider flying to Japan to get it in person. If I bought a 500/600 I would be saving $6K and the 1100 I would be saving $15K compared to local prices.

I recommend using a service that has a good track record. Google will help you find this.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It is a stupid price difference. I don't know what Sony is thinking there screwing us Americans like that. I had considered this option too. Could have flown both my kids and I to Japan for a week or two and bought one and came out ahead. In the end though that horrible input lag made me wait. Well, that and the thought of Japanese food
Instead I bought a VW55 from Mike at AVScience and am quite happy. It will tide me over till faster 4K models come out.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1526247/what-if-i-buy-the-new-sony-500es-4k-off-ebay-and-it-needs-service#post_24661215

He will also have an import tax.
Yes we have to pay 10% tax when it arrives here but companies like UPS, FedEx and DHL actually calculate that and add it onto the shipping price if you agree.

So yes Mike I'll be paying an extra 10% on the purchase from you but it's still half price when in my hands than buying from a local store etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Found a company that is a middle man for foreigners buying goods in Japan. Since many Japanese Companies only do COD to a Japanese address you pay them and the item gets sent to them. They will open and inspect the goods if you want before on shipping it to you. Their cost is 10% of the cost of your goods.

I'm leaning towards ringing the Sony store in Tokyo to make sure they have stock and jumping on a plane to pick it up in person and flying back the same or next day.

Either way I'll be buying it in Japan as it's half price (the 1100ES) for me even when buying it in the Sony store. We get ripped off here but that's nothing new.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED  /t/1526247/what-if-i-buy-the-new-sony-500es-4k-off-ebay-and-it-needs-service/0_50#post_24668629

Found a company that is a middle man for foreigners buying goods in Japan. Since many Japanese Companies only do COD to a Japanese address you pay them and the item gets sent to them. They will open and inspect the goods if you want before on shipping it to you. Their cost is 10% of the cost of your goods.

I'm leaning towards ringing the Sony store in Tokyo to make sure they have stock and jumping on a plane to pick it up in person and flying back the same or next day.

Either way I'll be buying it in Japan as it's half price (the 1100ES) for me even when buying it in the Sony store. We get ripped off here but that's nothing new.

If you're seriously considering coming to Japan to get the VW1100ES you will need a hotel. You won't be able to carry that big box long distances and through a large crowd.

Call the Sony store and ask for someone that speaks good English, not passable English but no s*** real English. A lot of Japanese people do not speak/understand English even in Tokyo. Make sure you can take it with you on the spot and make sure its not stock at the warehouse. I have a feeling they won't keep it in the store due to the sheer size and weight of it will probably offer free shipping and verify they ship to a hotel too.

You'll be 100% dependent on public transportation, specifically Taxi's. You wont be able take a box that big in an overcrowded train. Not trying to rain on your parade but manage expectations. You're not going to get off the plane walk to the Sony store and get back on the plane without going through a serious trial of strength, patience and determination. By the time you're done with the Plane ticket, hotel room, taxi fees and probably over-sized luggage fee, you're getting close if not over the price from ebay or other means like that intermediary company you found.

Don't take my post as being a hater or trying to say you can't do it. You can, but just realize it's most likely not going to be a walk in the park, especially if you never been to Tokyo before and don't speak Japanese.

If you do it, take pics and post your experience!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey cischico no issues you saying all that. It's common sense anyway. I have never been to Japan but I have seen a lot on TV over the years to know leave plenty of time and I would be taking a taxi all the time. . I was speaking to a guy today I know at work and his wife is Japanese and he told me to ring the store etc which I would anyway. I would to pay a deposit so they had one there for me on arrival etc or indeed get them to deliver it to my hotel.

As far as eBay goes there is a guy in Italy selling them on Ebay (he has sold 1 and got feedback) and since they are shipped from Japan he obviously has a contact there and his prices are about $2K on what I can buy one for so basically even if I use Tenso then I am still about $500 better off and from what I have read I would trust Sony/Tenso a lot more.

Anyway I will report back which way I go and how it all went.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bought one locally at a great price not much more than getting one from Japan and at least I have local warranty

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts