AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the possibility of getting a SONY 1270Q and it looks to be in pretty good shape with the usual cover missing that covers the top controls.

The case seems to be in rather good condition and the lenses don’t look scratched. The unit is not local or I would obviously check the tubes and there would be no question. More then likely they are good but I am prepared to do a tube swap if I have to. There is no RGB input card which I’m sure I can get from a fellow AVS member as well as there are a few on e bay right now but I will wait to see if I get the machine first.

My question right now is that I know the SD-187 tubes are interchangeable with the 07MS which are the ones in the 12XX projectors. Lets say the tubes have some nasty burns, I am thinking of swapping my perfect SD-187 from my 1031Q to the new unit. I know in reality this is one of the reasons you usually up grade from a 1031Q but I’m not concerned with the greater brightness of the 1270, I’m looking at the standpoint that it can truly do HDTV and it is a digital chassis.

So exactly what would I gain, basically making a digital chassis 1031Q by swapping to the SD-187 tubes?

Would this even really work as I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing but I am crazy enough to do it if need be?

Comment would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The 12XX projectors use 07MP tubes. Totally different. Not interchangeable. Read again, MP, not MS.

Marc

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH CRAP :(

So much for that thought. Ill have to see what happens if I do grab that 1270

Thanks Marc

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
S'allright :)

Marc

·
Registered
235 Posts
From what I've found on the 1270's, they usually go through blues first and then greens. Retubing really doesn't make sense as they are plentiful and inexpensive. It would be smarter to pay a few hundred dollars more for a known clean 1270 or even 1272 than replace even one tube as they are not rebuildable and go for appx 600. each new. It's possible to find used reds and sometimes green at reasonable prices, but the blues are rarely found. Unless you are buying the 1270 for less than a couple hundred bucks it wouldnt make sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.