AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, it seems that I am not alone in the fact that I didn't get the upgrade (EDT, Mid-West, P4 Card). I asked yesterday with no answer, isn't there a force code to dial out and retrieve an upgrade? Does this code force an upgrade only, meaning would I retain my programs on the hard drive too? I'll give it a whirl since I have nothing to lose, presuming I keep my saved programs. If I get 3.5 again, oh well... Wonder when those left behid will get the upgrade now... and why we didn't get it in the first place...

Cheers,

Caleb

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I phoned UTV support and his initial statement was that only 50% of the people have been rolled out with the new software and I should give it another week before I call again asking where it is. I politely explained to him that I didn't believe this was true.

He reluctantly gave me the code to force a download (8675309, don't know why the search function on this board wouldn't return it to me). I am doing that right now, but my guess is that it is giving me 3.5. It asked for a "code" for a specific upgrade, but he didn't give me one, so I simply pressed OK there - my guess is I'm getting 3.5 again. Oh well...

We ordered CallerID last Monday because of the upgrade and being able to easily tell when someone is calling. Would be nice to have to be honest. It's no longer about the upgrade, but about honesty of CSR's - why can't they just be truthful. He said it was not going by time zone, that only 50% of people have received it and that there was no specific date I should expect it -- oh, and it's coming via telephone, not satellite. True?

Anyway, leaving house for a while, which is good since the next 2 hrs will be taken up with an upgrade from UTV coming on my phone line...

Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Caleb

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't believe there is a code to force 3.7. Sorry.

I don't really think the CSRs are lying. It's just that they are ill-informed and try to "help" by giving out info based on what they heard. It's a recurring problem at DTV as has been discussed here before. You can call five different CSRs and get five different answers to the same question.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PittCaleb
He said it was not going by time zone, that only 50% of people have received it and that there was no specific date I should expect it -- oh, and it's coming via telephone, not satellite. True?
False... I received my upgrade via dish not phone line. I do not have a hard line phone jack near my UTV at the moment. I run a line to it one night a month to clear out any PPV movies that may have been purchased. No phone line attached when I received the 3.7 upgrade. I will put a new phone jack in soon as I like the caller ID feature in 3.7.

I guess just be patient. You should receive 3.7 soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm home after a morning of running around - the force upgrade, 867-5309, which is the phone number to that song from ages past... - it just gave me 3.5 again - locked up the system and I had to unplug for 10 mins as all other problems require.

Only thing interesting is that it now said I have 3.5 (build xxxx) "factory installed" rather than either today's date or April 4, 2002 from last year's upgrade.

I am happy to see here that others also didn't get it - we were skipped for some reason, we'll get it soon enough I am sure... I'll wait patiently.

Cheers,

Caleb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a little bit of information that may put you at ease.

I received the upgrade to 3.7 on Friday (and yes I really liked it)

But with the information I have been seeing on this site I was waiting to make sure that it would not mess up the UTV before I upgraded the hard drive, after reading no bad things were happening to the rest of you with a bigger hard drive I decided to give it a try on Monday. It was not to hard but I did have to call Diret TV and cancell my MSN internet service and just use the MSN TV service to get it to upload. The MSN TV service is the 3 hours a month we get for free, a different phone number and not the local one that does not work for this download.

After that it worked except of course I only got the 3.5 "factory installed" version again, bummer. I was calling DTV and everyone else to try to get the forced upgrade or something, but no dice. They said just give it a little time and It would happen. They will be sending it out nightly until Dec 23. So I gave it a couple of days before calling back. Low and behold on Thursday I did get the 3.7 version again. Not bad, and made me really happy that I did the upgrade now. So if the same will work for anyone that missed the upgrade this time around just make sure you leave the UTV plugged in and you should get it soon. The second time it did not give me notice of the upgrade in the settings/system test/system information/upgrades menu like it did the first time. It just did it without notice.

Hope this will help

W-60,120 GB,cooing fan and happy out

·
Registered
219 Posts
i received the upgrade on two of my machines friday morning at 3:30 one was on. the unit that was off had no indication of upgrade....i had to look it up. the one that was on asked if i wanted it, and after uploading it took me through a little primer and allowed me to setup the caller [email protected] that time. wonder why the one that was off never told me a thing?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it last night/this morning - yeah. Wasn't expecting it until Wednesday at the earliest based on the roll-out schedule posted from before (i.e. no weekends or Monday's).

Cheers,

Caleb

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 7 UTV's on the east coast. 5 received it last week. The remaining 2 received it last night. One of them was not connected to the satellite until last night. On the other one that had not received the upgrade I did a 23552355 last night to get rid of the advertising boixeson the left of the guide. I thought that a 32768 did it, but it did not. I do not know if it was related.

Paul

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
home>settings>system test>

·
Registered
96 Posts
According to a friend of a friend of mine the 3.7 upgrade will work only with a P4 card. If you have a HU inserted the TV reads "Card is incompatible, Call customer service ext 745"...........

·
Registered
12 Posts
on top of needing a p4 card, make sure you dont have any programs scheduled. I cleared all my scheduled programs and got the upgrade yesterday :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.