AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for you guys that were not able to employ the services of dennis e, what did you use for guidance in building your theaters?. did you order certain books, or go to certain websites, or something else? just curious because my house is scheduled to start in late july and was debating if i should order any books. thnx in advance

·
Registered
161 Posts
Imagination,

That plus alot of advise from these very forums. It really depends on if you are having it professionally designed or you want that added touch of personality. Dennis E is said to be one of the finest designers, and can do as much as you want him to do, from just plans to full blown installs. Good luck on what ever you choose, and just ask your questions here and we'll be glad to assist whenever possible

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I like to visit everyone's theater construction pictures to get great tips and ideas. And every person that I have emailed with questions has been more than helpful.

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
I found before I started (and before I hired Dennis), that I looked at the pix people posted and PM'd those whose designs I most favored. Reading posts really helps too.

Consider hiring Someone like Dennis. If you are building a home and the construction workers (obviously) will be there, it may make financial sense to pay the design fee and have your builder integrate and build the theatre as the rest of the house is going up. Then, the theater would be done when the house is finished.

Considering the price of a new house, the fee could easily be absorbed without much feeling and then you have the security of knowing all was done right.

Just something to cobnsider.

Jeff

·
Registered
853 Posts
Did all my research/work myself and built a great HT.....

However,

I would highly recommend Dennis Erskine and wish I had used him initially.

Greg

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appreciate all the feedback guys. ive got my wife sold on everything except paying for dennis. i tell her its the safest route, but she feels i know enough to do it all on my own. i wish i felt as confident as she does:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like you probably could do it yourself (that's the route I took), but be forewarned, you will spend a HUGE amount of time on research. There are tons of internet resources (and opinions). If time is critical to you, hiring a pro will save a lot of that!

Me, I enjoy the researching. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!

Eric.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Tx - actually, I believe that working with Dennis SAVED me money. His layout was something that would have never occurred to me and it's perfect for our space. And even with study I couldn't have handled the room acoustics to this degree. It's an amazing space.

Here's the big one: with my DE plan in hand, I met with my selected contractor (specialized in basements, had a great portfolio and recommendations, but no true HT experience) and said, "how much to build this?". He took the plans, studied them for nearly 3 weeks and came back with a firm bid for EVERYTHING (except for the fabric, which I purchased and installed myself). So here I am at the end of my projects and I knew from day one to the penny how much it would cost.

An interesting note is that the electrical sub contractor didn't read the electrical specification carefully before putting in their fixed bid. They didn't realize that Ardee can lights aren't $4 apiece like the ones they normally use. And they forgot to include the Lutron Grafikeye. Although I think they're exaggerating, they claim they lost $3,000 (I'm betting it's closer to $1,500).

Think of a professional fee for someone like Dennis as one of the components of the HT - you'll easily drop a couple of grand on a A/V receiver and $$$ on the projector - in the scheme of things, the design is a steal!

Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.