AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In particular, I'm looking at Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's, which have this alignment, and trying to figure out whether they would be suitable for wall-mounting. The description does not say anything about ports.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If it says "reflex" it must have some way of letting back waves to escape, typically meaning a port or passive radiator (looks like a speaker but is not actively driven).

Fourth order refers to the design of the crossover network.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So I should just ask the dealer or company whether it ports to the front or the back. Based on what I've read in this forum, I probably don't want to mount a rear-ported speaker on the wall.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Absolutely not. You would need at least a foot or better 2-3 feet from the wall if it ports to the rear.

Actually, I would do whatever I could to avoid wall mounting if at all possible.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Fourth order refers to the design of the crossover network.
This is possible but not likely. Fourth order passive crossover networks are quite rare.

In this context, "fourth order" means that the woofer-cabinet system is a fourth order mechanical system. Actually all simple vented (or "reflex") speakers are fourth order... so "fourth order reflex" is somewhat redundant.

Recall from physics class that a simple spring-mass mechanical system is second-order. A sealed speaker is modeled as second order where the combination of the driver suspension and air compliance in the box is the "spring" and the cone mass is the "mass". In a vented system, the mass and compliance of air in the port introduce two additional "orders" --bringing the total to four.

I agree that a rear-ported speaker shouldn't be mounted on the wall, but in reality, as long as you're at least a port diameter away from the wall, the tuning won't be affected. If your front speakers are used for stereo listening, you will experience much better imaging if you keep them 2-3' away from the wall.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have a choice about the wall, only about what speaker I choose. Any thoughts about the Monitor Gold Reference 10 for fronts? Any suggestions about what would be better? Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Monitor audio products appear to be well made and get consistently good reviews. SGHT was impressed with the Monitor system they reviewed recently. I haven't heard them, though, so I can't offer much. I personally prefer sealed-woofer satellites for home theater. Group delay is lower -- which generally equates to better transient performance --while the extra bass extension of a ported system is unnecessary when mated with a subwoofer. A popular and effective home theater approach is to use a 12dB/oct high pass crossover for the satellites and a 24dB/oct Linkwitz-Reilly low pass for the sub. The 12dB/oct rolloff of sealed satellites provides a natural complement and results in a smooth 24/24 symmetrical L-R slopes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.