AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to thank everyone for all the help in last few months. I feel I have made some great decisions that's to those at this forum. My family loves this stuff and all my friends are jealous!

This is a 2 part ?

Background:

Denon 2802 6.1

101% HT - No Music.

I have ordered my fronts and center speakers, but before I buy any more I have a few more questions. I ordered a vp150 and m22 for fronts. Should I match the fronts w/ 3more m22s or should I get the 3 Qs4s (which are dipole surrounds)? Cost is about the same.

the 3rd for 6.1 type sound.

Second this is. What exactly is 7.1? Do the 2 rear surround speakers put out a separate channel of sound or is the six channel just doubled. If they are separate I bought the receiver love it so forget it. BUT If the sixth channel is doubled can I just run 2 pairs of wire from my receivers rear surround feed with 2 speakers to recreate the same effect? Would that make the sound more real, worse, or do nothing at all?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi tvaldez,

I'm not familiar enough with your speakers to suggest good matches, but I can answer your 6.1/7.1 question.

Currently, there is no real discrete 7.1 format. 6.1 is as high as it goes (DTS ES Discrete 6.1). When 6.1 material is played on a 7.1 system, both center back speakers play the same information. But because there are 2 speakers rather than a single center back, the sound stage for the rear channel information is broader. The transition from left surround to rear to right surround is smoother

Many 6.1/7.1 systems also contain some sort of DSP or processing mode to send 5.1 channel information back to the rear 2 speakers. Using some algorithm, information is selected from the left and right surround speaker and replicated to the back.

And finally NO you cannot have a 7.1 setup by running 2 pairs of wire from your 6.1 receiver's single rear sound connection. Speakers are rated by the load they put on the amp/receiver. Typically speakers are rated as 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm. When you put 2 speakers on 1 amp/receiver terminal you create some weird load on your amp/receiver that it may not be able to handle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.