Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx
If DD-EX is 6.1
DD EX is referred to as 5.1 (that's how many discrete channels it has).
Quote:
what is 7.1 called?
Quote:
Is there any content that is actually 7.1?
None.

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, if I buy a receiver that supports 7.1, that means it cdoes 6.1 and uses the rears as mono? So when they do have 7.1 content, would my receiver be able to actually use it? Or do i need special decoding software.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would not hold your breath for 7.1 content. It's not like they have released tons of titles on 6.1 up to this point.

·
Registered
30,352 Posts
Quote:
if I buy a receiver that supports 7.1, that means it cdoes 6.1 and uses the rears as mono?
Depends on the listening mode you're using. If you use DD EX or DTS ES decoding, then the two rear speakers will be run as dual-mono. If you use Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing, then the two rear speakers are stereo (i.e., you can hear different sounds over your left shoulder vs over your right shoulder).
Quote:
So when they do have 7.1 content, would my receiver be able to actually use it?
Depends on your receiver and how 7.1 content would delivered. For example: if your current receiver has 8-channel analogue inputs and a hi-def player you buy in the future has 8-channel analogue outputs, then you can play back 7.1 content on the receiver you now have.
Quote:
do i need special decoding software.
Surround processing such as PLIIx can convert 2-channel and 5.1-channel material to 7.1 channels.

Sanjay

·
Registered
30,352 Posts
Quote:
if I buy a receiver that supports 7.1, that means it cdoes 6.1 and uses the rears as mono?
Depends on the listening mode you're using. If you use DD EX or DTS ES decoding, then the two rear speakers will be run as dual-mono. If you use Dolby Pro Logic IIx processing, then the two rear speakers are stereo (i.e., you can hear different sounds over your left shoulder vs over your right shoulder).
Quote:
So when they do have 7.1 content, would my receiver be able to actually use it?
Depends on your receiver and the delivery method for 7.1 content. For example: if your current receiver has 8-channel analogue inputs and a hi-def player you buy in the future has 8-channel analogue outputs, then you can play back 7.1 content on your current receiver.
Quote:
do i need special decoding software.
Surround processing such as PLIIx can convert 2-channel and 5.1-channel content to 7.1 channels.

Sanjay

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both have the option for 8 discrete channels of 24/96 PCM quality audio, and 6 channels of 24/192 PCM quality in either lossless or lossy mode. Blu-Ray one-ups this with the ability for those channels to be completely uncompressed, given a 50 GB disc and a movie that isn't uber long. 25 GB would enough for most music only releases.

If the more advanced thinking studios think 8 channel discrete will get you to buy movies, then they'll start mixing and re-mixing to it. Gary Rydstrom of Skywalker Sound would be in 7th Heaven. He created Dolby EX, but would probably switch in a heart beat to 8 channel discrete since he lavishes on the sound effects, and is a master at it. Mi Casa studios would love it too. I'd imagine The Lord of the Rings Trilogy DC would be on their short list of movies to remix in 8 channels!

Of course, with big name music labels like Universal now joining the Blu-Ray group I'm sure they'd rally around a unified video and audio multimedia disc. This could really help move the industry to audiophile multichannel releases rather than a huge pissing contest like DVD-Audio and SA-CD and now dualdisc, and maybe a huge ramp up in production would cause Blu-Ray to finally be the worthy successor to the CD. You could easily have master quality sound AND video stuff + extras on one disc.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.