AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
20x22 dedicated space, BenQ HT3550, 150" 16x9 screen, Yamaha RX-A3070 5.2.4
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Everyone has an opinion so let's get some suggestions. I recently purchased a Behringer NX6000 (non dsp because I have a MiniDSP) to match 2x UM18-22 in Denovo 4cu ft. boxes. It turned out to be DOA. It's getting returned and I am considering other options. I am also still considering the NX6000 but other opinions have been shared that "Behringer aren't reliable". Based on research everywhere, the NX6000 still seems "made for" these subs. What amp out there is equal or better at driving these subs?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Been running behringer for years with my subs. A lot of pro amps filter pretty heavily in the lower frequency range. If running ported not really an issue. I'm sealed so more of a concern.

For the money they are tough to beat.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm currently running Behringer DSP series but if/when I decide to replace them (or they die), I'll be looking at the Crown XLS series with a miniDSP.
So specifically will the Crown XLS 2502 match the output of the NX6000?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
So specifically will the Crown XLS 2502 match the output of the NX6000?
Not to my knowledge, no. But remember that the NX published numbers are inflated vs. tested/measured output. Still, they offer the best bang for the buck at entry to mid-level subwoofer amplification for HT use, especially when you factor in the built-in DSP in their respective offerings.

What is your intended usage for these subs? Room specs, expected SPL, etc.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you don't have budget concerns a Speakerpower 4kw plate amp can drive four um18s (6kw model possible if you have 240V available). Zero fan noise. Huge power delivered down very deep.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
11,889 Posts
Man the Behringer's are just fine. Yes there are some defects but they sell a lot of amps. And they're not expensive. They perform far better than the crowns for subs, IMO.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is your intended usage for these subs? Room specs, expected SPL, etc.
Adding to my existing 20x22x9 config. I have 2x 12" BIC subs already and I needed a bit more lower end power. Expected SPL is "whatever they will offer". Mostly movies here, and MiniDSP HD 2x4 to help with the room overall.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PE has an open box NX6000D with a pretty good discount if you are interested:

[/URL]

I think you can use the $25 off a $250 purchase coupon if you haven’t used it before to make the deal even better.
PE has an open box NX6000D with a pretty good discount if you are interested:

I think you can use the $25 off a $250 purchase coupon if you haven’t used it before to make the deal even better.
I’d rather buy a new non-dsp version at retail than an open box return “D” for that discount at this point after the hassle so far. Same warranty I know but I’ve been back and forth enough for a while.

Reactions: xb1032

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A 1502 bridged is decent for the UM18 in 4cuft. A bridged 2502 is better, but you can now melt the VC. I use a minidsp either way.
So your suggestion is 2 x 2502 as essentially a replacement for 1 x NX6000 power wise?

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
My four iNuke DSP 6000s have been powering eight UM18-22 for about six years without a hiccup. They have been a really solid choice for me.

I have a dozen friends with iNukes and none to my knowledge have failures. I have a half dozen friends with Chinese clone amps and all of them have had failures. Every single one of them.

Chinese clone amps are NOT more reliable than the Behringer amps.

Two of my friends bought Crest and Peavy amps because they didn’t trust Behringer iNukes based on “name brand” Ironically, their amps both failed too.

If I was going to recommend something else for subs it’d probably be an old iron amp used, that you buy off the used market (because they aren’t making them any more). Something like a Cerwin Vega CV5000, or a Crown XLS5000 will be running fine in 30 years and will capably power 2,4, or even 8 18” subwoofers.

My friend @carp runs 8 SI 18HT off a single CV5000 amp and it’s both capable and bulletproof!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also know several people running the older nu3000 and 6000, perhaps 25 units in total and 3-4 years of use, not one failure.
Know a few people using ep4000’s also no failures.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
@gridpool

iNuke 12000 amps are all over eBay for $500 new.

They put out only a bit more power at 4 or 8 ohm than the 6000, but are capable of more sustained power with their larger power supply, and also capable of 2 ohm. Since you don’t need the DSP, and it’s about the same price. It might be worth the consideration. You’d easily be able to run 4 or likely even 8 subs off a single iNuke 12000 amp and a 30, 40, or 50 amp circuit.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@gridpool

iNuke 12000 amps are all over eBay for $500 new.

They put out only a bit more power at 4 or 8 ohm than the 6000, but are capable of more sustained power with their larger power supply, and also capable of 2 ohm. Since you don’t need the DSP, and it’s about the same price. It might be worth the consideration. You’d easily be able to run 4 or likely even 8 subs off a single iNuke 12000 amp and a 30, 40, or 50 amp circuit.
Amps not under warranty for at least a year are not an option. Buying from eBay would still need to be from an auth seller and be under warranty. That’s why I’m in this position in the first place.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
If you don't have budget concerns a Speakerpower 4kw plate amp can drive four um18s (6kw model possible if you have 240V available). Zero fan noise. Huge power delivered down very deep.
Budget is only a concern where buying an amp and integrating it would be more costly than buying other powered subs to replace these. That’s probably the case there. I looked at the rack mount options and I’d rather buy 2 additional powered subs than 1 of their amps.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Budget is only a concern where buying an amp and integrating it would be more costly than buying other powered subs to replace these. That’s probably the case there. I looked at the rack mount options and I’d rather buy 2 additional powered subs than 1 of their amps.
The rack mounted sp2-8000 is two sp1-4000 amps in a case. They can put a single sp1-4000 in a rack mount case for I think around $150. I would agree an sp2-8000 makes no sense for 2 or even 4 um18s. I use the metric of cost to power each driver, with 8 um18s on an sp1-6000 it drops the cost doen significantly, and then I'm also amp limited to protect from driver meltdown.

·
Registered
12,562 Posts
Amps not under warranty for at least a year are not an option. Buying from eBay would still need to be from an auth seller and be under warranty. That’s why I’m in this position in the first place.
So find a seller who offers a square trade warranty or buy with a CC that extends warranty for two years? In my experience electronics usually die in the first 30 days or last years. A single 1 year warranty would not be a determining factor for me. A 10 year warranty would. Another friend of mine has had an iNuke 12000 for at least five years without a hiccup on his subs. @stitch1

You have to make up your own mind of course, but I don’t think a one year warranty should offer much sway. Almost anything, even the cheapest Chinese junk will last a year if it works out of the box.

I’ve used iNukes since launch. My first one was a DSP 3000 and I was one of the first on the forum to buy one. Over these years I’ve read about very few failures. I just don’t think the concern is warranted on the whole. Any amp has failures - especially amps used for subwoofers. The iNuke failure rate seems very low comparatively.

I’m not telling you. You must buy an iNuke. Certainly not.
I’m just stating I think the high failure rate is very misconstrued based on my involvement and reading and experiences in this hobby. It stinks you got one DOA. That’s very unlucky and rare.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts