AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

I am sooooo behind in technology and probably need to read a book updating me with everything that happened in the last few years. If anyone has a link to such materials, I would really appreciate it.

I need help selecting a new home theatre system for my apartment. I have $500 budget and want the best system possible for the money. I want it to be Blu Ray, play from iPod, play regular Cds and DVDs, have wireless rear speakers (so that I dont have to wire under carpet) and possibly have connection with my laptop?

I am only starting my research and dont know where to start. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got a Panasonic sc-bt300 for $529.00. You can get the step down sc-bt200 for close to $400. These are 7.1 Blue Ray HTIB systems. They do not have wireless speakers, but given your budget I would venture to say that would be a deal-breaker for you.

I just got this system yesterday and have not hooked it up yet. I am under no illusions about what I am getting, but I also bought a 50 inch G15 Plasma with it and thus got a $200 rebate, making the net cost to me $329. Oh yeah, it also has a very convenient I-pod dock.

LG and Samsung make similarly priced and well rated systems that would work for you, too. Go to CNET, they have good reviews on all of the latest Blue Ray HTIB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah as posted before, I would go for the "Panasonic SCBT300". Since you are on a budget (same case as me, lol), you should choose a system that includes a lot of hardware with it (blu-ray dvd player, # of speakers). There is also another model, "SCBT-200", and it's the same exact stuff except the speakers are all one size, whereas with the 300 you get 2 tall bamboo speakers. It does depend on the size though, the 2 tall bamboo speakers might not be your pick if you have a very small room.

It also includes a Blu Ray dvd player, so that to me is a pretty big plus The Blu-Ray player can play youtube videos and access Picasa, and it also has an AM/FM radio. It's a 7.1ch system (7 speakers) with an HDMI port plus a Blu Ray player with an Ipod dock, I think for just a little above $500.00 it's a great find. There are limited number of options though because the number of inputs/outputs, I don't really know enough about that but it's important (if you need to hook up a lot of things) so ask around and maybe someone can help

Here is the "SCBT-200" product, which costs a bit more than $400.00, don't pay attention to the listed price: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218086216581

Here is the "SCBT-300" product which is a bit more than $500.00 (don't pay attention to the listed price). Same features/items, just more stylish and bigger speakers which will deliver better sound quality and also look good: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218084655189

Hope this helped! Listed a lot of features but you can also read that on the product pages
Hopefully others can offer their suggestions. Oh and also, I'm not so sure about the wireless speakers part, I'm pretty sure these are compatible but you need to buy a separate thing for that, so it would probably cost a little more. Not sure on this though, but I wouldn't consider that when buying this system. I'll also check the laptop connection if I remember soon. I'll post back or contact you on the store that is selling them for cheap, need to go find the name and info soon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very interesting. I seem to find alot of information on HTIB's that have the included Blu-Ray/DVD players but not much in the way of just reciever and speakers.

Any suggestions in the way of the above for the same budget?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hi Panthera82,, and welcome to the forum.

For what you are looking for and with no wires you might want to check out the very soon to be released Samsung BluRay soundbar,,,, MSRP is around $800.00 but have no idea what it will street for.

As a soundbar junkie/owner this is one I am waiting for as well.

Cheers

Davyo

The link for the review of it,,,, http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/07...ter-sound-bar/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts