AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha RXV 3200 receiver (120 watts per channel) and am wondering what amp would match up to it nicely, or if I would be better off selling it and going with a separate pre/pro and amp ?

I like all the features it has and I am looking at maybe an outlaw 755 amp (200 watts per channel) or a used Sunfire Signature Grand 5 channel (400 watts per channel) bought locally .

Has anyone matched either of these up to a Yamaha, or recommend any other brands that match up good together ?

Would there be much benefit going from my 120 watts per channel to the 200 watts per channel of the Outlaw amp ?

Is the Yamaha a pretty good processor to use with an external amp ?

By the way I will be driving Rocket 750's in the front and rear and a Rocket 200 center.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

MIKE

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm using the 3200 with an ATI-1504 that powers the front 3 speakers while the 3200 still runs the surrounds. IMHO the Yamaha makes a great pre/pro and whichever amp you choose shouldn't pose any problem.

The reason I added an amp was I purchased 4 ohm load speakers. While the Yamaha did a good job, we do listen at reference levels occasionally and I wanted the extra headroom and overall power provided by the ATI amp. The Yamaha advertises 120Wx6 @8 ohms, but the power supply is only rated at 500W. The the ATI is listed conservatively at 150Wx4 @8 ohms, but has a power supply rated at 1520W.

Terry

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terry,

Do you notice that much difference in output using the 150 watt amp versus the 120 watt amp in the Yamaha 3200 ?

MIKE

·
Registered
404 Posts
i added amps to my rxv-1 , just the mains because it didnt like my speakers 4 ohm load,i also couldnt see getting better amps for the rest because i only use them for movies and they are fine(no center channel-yuk).

i figured it was better to spend the money on better amps for the mains and not waste it on the others, i listen to music more than movies and the rxv-1 doesnt have 5 channel stereo only 2, ended up with odyssey mono block extremes-wow.

have 2 more standard monos being built for my sub(vmps large wired in stereo)next i plan on getting the new odyssey pre with ht by pass to bring my 2 channel to the next level and add another sub so i can get the most power from the amps.

its a very bad disease we have but sars gets all the attention-lol

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nelson4u
Thanks Terry,

Do you notice that much difference in output using the 150 watt amp versus the 120 watt amp in the Yamaha 3200 ?

MIKE

Hi Mike, The real difference I perceive, and this could be all in my head, is the power amp is making clean sound much more effortlessly, especially at the loudest levels. The Yamaha did an excellent job as an amp, probably as good as any other off-the-shelf receiver at driving low impedence speakers, but I detected a bit of a strain at the louder sound levels. Even though the Yamaha never clipped or went into protect mode when at or near reference level, I feel better putting that load on a more dedicated piece such as a power amp. Where the Yamaha may have been working harder to provide that great sound, the ATI seems to be coasting along ready to output an unlimited amount of energy.

More power is always a good thing, isn't it? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.