AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....But I just want a CD player.....I was debating whether or not I should get the Denon DCM390, for an online retailer offered it to me for $299, however, that may be a little too expensive for me. Does anyone have any input on that player.....or on the Denon DCM27? That's only $50 less. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Thanks....But I just want a CD player.

If you're trying to save money, unit that only play CDs generally cost more than units that play multiple formats. (And they don't sound any better.)

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Why would you recommend that when he said a $300 CDP was over his budget?

Because the answer to every question is Emotiva, or hadn't you noticed?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordpuffer /forum/post/16988352

Thanks....I took your advice and bought it......It looks good! Have a good one.

I liked it so well, I bought an extra just to keep as a spare, since quality DVD players seem to be disappearing from the market, in favor of buggy, slow BD players. I have also bougt two for friends. All four players for less than the retail cost of one. Hard to beat that.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 /forum/post/16996110

Will, you dont think spending a few extra bucks for Blu-ray is worth it at this point? I would think you will see a $99 BD player on Black Friday.

I rent movies, I don't buy them. I already had a Blu Ray player, and could never find discs in stock around here. So for me, no, not worth it.

Then when you consider that it would take a over a minute to load a standard DVD, response time was horrible with the remote, and some discs wouldn't play at all! I can't believe how buggy the players are after over three years on the market. And I know it's not just the player I had, everyone I know has similar complaints.

Maybe if they ever get it together, and the format actually catches on, I'll try again. But personally, I think BD will probably be gone in a couple more years.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I Think you are right considering you can download movies these days which is certainly a factor. Plus, I watch about 80% of my DVDs on my laptop on planes so I couldnt use BD for that anyway since my laptop cant play them. I rent also. Its not worth buying discs unless they are $5 and BD wont be there for a while.

Perhaps a good upscaling DVD player is all that is needed.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
... wake up old man and get with the program.

What I mean to say is, I just picked up a $90 blu-ray player for my Dad last month. Loads quickly enough, not much if any difference compared to his old standard dvd player. I think it is a Magnavox or Sylvannia, I forget which.. neither brand exactly cutting edge stuff.

He rents via Netflix and he's now got tons of blu-ray titles in his queue. And he's not even the big blockbuster or action movie type, i.e., he's more of a "serious" movie viewer and despite that, he's still able to rent many of these smaller films in the blu-ray format.

I haven't upgraded to blu-ray myself as I still have a ton of regular dvds I need to watch (purchased on the super cheap when Hollywood Video up and closed shop in my Chicagoland area a couple years ago). I guess I need to get with the program myself.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I should add that he is on the "4 movies a month" plan. For you weirdos who are on some kind of crazy 12 - 20 movies per month schedule, then I guess I could see you having a problem with finding enough blu-ray releases to satisfy.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions /forum/post/16996283

... wake up old man and get with the program.

Already tried it, like I said, if they ever get it together, and the format actually catches on, I may try it again.

Quote:
What I mean to say is, I just picked up a $90 blu-ray player for my Dad last month. Loads quickly enough, not much if any difference compared to his old standard dvd player.

Your Dad must have an awfully slow DVD player. My current DVD player has video on the screen 4 seconds after closing the tray. Even the new Oppo BD player isn't that fast

Quote:
He rents via Netflix and he's now got tons of blu-ray titles in his queue. And he's not even the big blockbuster or action movie type, i.e., he's more of a "serious" movie viewer and despite that, he's still able to rent many of these smaller films in the blu-ray format.

Try getting the popular titles in BD format from Netflix. Expect a long wait for availability, at least in my area.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/16999053

Your Dad must have an awfully slow DVD player. My current DVD player has video on the screen 4 seconds after closing the tray. Even the new Oppo BD player isn't that fast

I helped set up his bluray player and from the example of the first disc loaded, it seemed like it was up reasonably fast. 10-15 seconds at most, I would say. If waiting even that long would still be an irritant for you, well, all I can say is that I thought *I* was an impatient person!

In my original post, I had assumed you meant the old days when it took as long as a full 1 or 2 minutes before the title/movie would start, and figured you'd be pleased by such a major loading improvement but evidently not.

Quote:
Try getting the popular titles in BD format from Netflix. Expect a long wait for availability, at least in my area.

Perhaps you're correct.. could be a location and population center thing. Plus, he's less than 10 miles from a distribution warehouse, so that might help.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

Quote:
I helped set up his bluray player and from the example of the first disc loaded, it seemed like it was up reasonably fast. 10-15 seconds at most, I would say. If waiting even that long would still be an irritant for you, well, all I can say is that I thought *I* was an impatient person!

That's even faster than the Oppo. You may want to actually time it, I doubt it even boots up in ten seconds.

But like I said, I can't even rent BD discs around here, so it's pointless for me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.