AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am very limited experience wise in the audio arena. I am looking for a mid-level receiver with 7.2 ch. And great for audio as well as music. I am also looking for speakers to match. I have and open room where the kitchen, eating area and family room are seperated by a 4 foot high bar and a partitian wall on the side which is the hallway for the bedrooms. The total size is about 25*25. I currently have and older Yamaha 5 ch. With a hodge podge of speakers. The surrounds are Bic-Venturi, center is B.A. And subwoofer is a 150 watt Sony. My current system is ok for movies in DTS mode but nothing like the sound of a Bose system or other popular systems. The problem is music sounds like it's playing out of a box or hall when using 5 channel and just doesn't have enough pop and clearity using 2 channel. Any help as to what would work well with my room type would be a great help and a starting point for research. Oh I forgot to mention I have 10 foot high ceilings throughout the home, Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoise /forum/post/16954903


Hello I am very limited experience wise in the audio arena. I am looking for a mid-level receiver with 7.2 ch. And great for audio as well as music. I am also looking for speakers to match. I have and open room where the kitchen, eating area and family room are seperated by a 4 foot high bar and a partitian wall on the side which is the hallway for the bedrooms. The total size is about 25*25. I currently have and older Yamaha 5 ch. With a hodge podge of speakers. The surrounds are Bic-Venturi, center is B.A. And subwoofer is a 150 watt Sony. My current system is ok for movies in DTS mode but nothing like the sound of a Bose system or other popular systems. The problem is music sounds like it's playing out of a box or hall when using 5 channel and just doesn't have enough pop and clearity using 2 channel. Any help as to what would work well with my room type would be a great help and a starting point for research. Oh I forgot to mention I have 10 foot high ceilings throughout the home, Thanks.

Good sound costs money. How much do you want to spend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/16955265


Good sound costs money. How much do you want to spend?

I am looking for Mid-level equipment! I'd say about $1500 to 2000 for both!I know theres a lot to learn such as proper speaker placement, tuning and such! I guess my system would sound much better now with just getting matching speakers, but now I have a new Blue-Ray with the latest features to take advantage of, so I would like a 7.1 channel Amp. I just dont know what brand to get for the room size and shape that I have! It is pretty much square with the eating area and kitchen to the left, seperated by a 4 Ft. high bar counter to the left and a partitian wall to the right, with about 2 feet of open space above it to the ceiling which is 10 feet high all around. My Display is 18 feet in front against the wall and one couch is to the side along the partititan wall and another couch along the back wall where we sit to watch movies. The room is about 25'x25'. I also often wondered if ceiling or wall mounted speakers would be better although I know nothing about audio! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have been reading, there are receivers that have a feature installed to help you tune and place speakers for sonic accuracy and proper tone! YPAO is one! I know some of the Bose systems, "although other audiophiles cringe", have a learning system where it learns the rooms accoustics and angles for the best sound. I'd love for a company to come in and set-up a wide varity of speakers and recievers into my room, so I can choose what sounds the best, but unfortunately thats not realistic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No responses huh! I didn't think it was and easy question, but I thought maybe I could get a few opinions on what to try out for open room cathedrial designs and the accoustics that it generates! I sure hate to buy things from the store and return them because of lack of knowledge, and I won't. Are there any other options? Thanks, if not I will have to find a high-fi place or perhaps someone in a Magnolia store would know from similar experience!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,015 Posts
There's really only one way to do this. Do some online research on the basics and then go window shopping.


With a $2,000 budget, you should spend about $600 on a receiver and the rest on speakers. Most of the speaker money will go toward the front three and the sub. In the room you describe, you may find it hard to place the rear speakers. So, a 5.1 system may be a better idea. And, you'll be able to spend more on the speakers that really matter.


Your online research will identify equipment in your price range. Go to real AV shops with listening rooms where you can audition and compare the equipment. Best Buy and other such stores won't do. Bring your own movie and music discs for testing.


I put together my audio system four years starting from scratch with no knowledge and I am quite happy with the results. It's in a great room style kitchen/family room with cathedral ceilings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/16968199


There's really only one way to do this. Do some online research on the basics and then go window shopping.


With a $2,000 budget, you should spend about $600 on a receiver and the rest on speakers. Most of the speaker money will go toward the front three and the sub. In the room you describe, you may find it hard to place the rear speakers. So, a 5.1 system may be a better idea. And, you'll be able to spend more on the speakers that really matter.


Your online research will identify equipment in your price range. Go to real AV shops with listening rooms where you can audition and compare the equipment. Best Buy and other such stores won't do. Bring your own movie and music discs for testing.


I put together my audio system four years starting from scratch with no knowledge and I am quite happy with the results. It's in a great room style kitchen/family room with cathedral ceilings.

Excellent general advice and I would have said much the same thing.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top