AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be upgrading my system within the next 2 to 3 months and have decided on Bryston amps. The two combinations I am considering are a 6B SST + 9B SST (4 channels) or a 6B SST and two 4B SSTs.

According to the Canadian retail prices I see in the Audio Ideas Guide: A/V almanac 2003 the first option retails for no more than $10,890 (I'm not sure of the exact retail as it does not give separate prices for variations of the 9B) and the second option retails for $11,893. For any one who has one of these amp combinations or something very similar what do you think is an appropriate Canadian price range. How much under $10,000 do you think I should be able to get either system for.

Thanks.

Rod

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Rod,

I'm also in the market for some Bryston amps. I don't think the forum rules allow discussing anything about prices other than the MSRP's you mentioned. For used Canadian pricing check out www.canuckaudiomart.com there is usually some Bryston amps there for sale. Audiogon.com although US based has some Canadian sellers but the US Bryston prices are higher.

The CDN MSRPs I have are:

4B SST $3250 CDN

6B SST $5395 CDN

Personally I would go for the 4B 6B combo. Not sure where which province you are located as there are some benefits in Ontario (potentially lower shipping to local dealers) or Alberta (no PST).

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I think you can get a new Bryston amp for at least 20% of MSRP.

Also keep in mind used Sim Audio amps, which are plentiful on the used markets too. The Sim W-5 & W-3 are great performers, as is the beastly Sim Titan 5/7 channel amp. ( I recently bought a new 7-channel Titan )

FYI: Also of interest, my local dealer has a helluva buy on a consignment Classe CAV-500 here http://www.alternativeaudio.com/useddemo.shtml

good luck - Andy

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply gentlemen;

I would of course prefer the 6BSST + 4BSST + 4BSST combo for the equal high power all around and being able to get those amps for under $10,000 is an absolute must.

As the 6BSST + 9BSST combo retails for just over $10,000 I don't believe getting those 2 for around $9000 or less would be much of a stretch.

I live in Nova Scotia and there is only 1 Bryston dealer that I know of so I don't have the advantage of price competition between retailers. Granted my dealer has been awesome about meeting any advertised prices but the problem with the Bryston gear is retaliers are not supposed to give out prices on line and when I call out of province retailers they of course give a high price over the phone and say if I'm really interested I should drop by, which of course is impossible.

I have made the mistake of mentioning I'm from out of province and the responses have been ... we only deal locally and will not ship the Bryston stuff. This is really unfortunate.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Rod,

IMHO I think 20% off MSRP is really optomistic. I'll just say the various quotes I received are no where near 20%. Andy let me know where I can get it for 20% MSRP and I'll be there!

Another alternative you have Rod is to pickup the Pro versions of the Bryston gear. There are probably a few Bryston Pro Dealers in Nova Scotia. The very first Bryston amp I picked up was from a pro shop and it was substantially cheaper than the equivalent consumer version. The amps are identical except that the Pro gear usually has built in level controls and a more pronounced Bryston logo.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'd go used, I got a Lexicon 512 which is a rebadged 9bTHX for $1700. With the 20yr warranties that come with Bryston's there's no real reason to buy new and pay anything close to retail.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
The 20 year warranty is only applicable to Bryston amps, not the Lexicon re-badged Bryston's that carry a 5 year warranty. That said, I am sure you could take a Lex amp to the Bryston servcei centre and they will fix it fast & fair price. I have had service experiences with Bryston and they are indeed top-notch, with even same-day turnaround -> AMAZING.

- Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.