AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to give a large boost at a vary narrow cenetered frequency?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
youre not gonna like it...but here's why...

I remember reading a little here and there that some of you guys EQ somewhere above your HP crossover point to bring back up what the HP takes down above the crossover point. I have been disturbed when I see people adjusting their HP filter to bring air speed down at tuning. I know a lot of/most people tune simply to flatten their responce and lower their extention. I however want to gain as much as possible from the tuning. For sake of argument, 15Hz tuning... is there an inverse of a notch filter or something I can implement at my tuning point to boost that frequency steeply, as I have much more excursion available? What is a notch filter?

I know driver impedance is at its lowest at tuning...allowing the amp to give much more power... and at the same time, cone excursion is reduced therefore cooling becomes problematic. I am refering to watching movies and "careful play time", not prolonged periods of time. Also keep in mind, I'll have over 123 cubic feet... I'm rarely seeing anything more than 1000 - 1500 watts! The 21" Maelstrom-X easily takes 3000 watts.

2.6dB gain... almost twice as loud at my favorite area

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero /forum/post/18144722

You realize at tuning frequency its the port that is producing the sound, not the driver, right?

no, but ya the majority is the port...and the higher the excursion from the driver even more comes from the port

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero /forum/post/18144897

either way what you're asking is possible with a parametric EQ, like one of the Behringer rack units

ok... how narrow of a Q can I get from them? I think that's what it's called.... Q? Because of course 3Hz up I'm already back at Xmax... so it would need to be very narrow.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/18144921

ok... how narrow of a Q can I get from them? I think that's what it's called.... Q? Because of course 3Hz up I'm already back at Xmax... so it would need to be very narrow.

Also, at those frequency ranges 3hz is nearly a third of an octave! Actually the DSP1124 may not go that low with it's PEQ. My MIC2200 does, although I'd measure with REW to make sure you're actually boosting the frequency you choose with the dial.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya, I really shouldn't even be considering it.... just do a simple HP and maybe the EQ boost above the crossover point. How is that done? Or should I actually not, as my excursion is right back up at 18Hz?

Thank you for your info!

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Is there a way to give a large boost at a vary narrow cenetered frequency?"

yes. it is not uncommon to put some boost right on the port tuning assuming you are running a high pass just below. try boosting +3db on tuning, with a q>1.00, and excursion should not go up more than about 1mm or so.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18147517

"Is there a way to give a large boost at a vary narrow cenetered frequency?"

yes. it is not uncommon to put some boost right on the port tuning assuming you are running a high pass just below. try boosting +3db on tuning, with a q>1.00, and excursion should not go up more than about 1mm or so.

lol good stuff guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.