AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at an electronics store, 4 years ago they bought a g-70 for 28,000 it has hardley been used in fact for the last two years it has been colecting dust. I should be able to get it for 1200 to 1500 is it worth it . And how hard are they to set up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'd say a G70 with new tubes will run roughly $4000. To answer your ? about it being worth it for 1200 to 1500, YES!!!!! Basic set up is not hard, but if you want a really good setup. Hire a Pro.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis3869
I work at an electronics store, 4 years ago they bought a g-70 for 28,000 it has hardley been used in fact for the last two years it has been colecting dust. I should be able to get it for 1200 to 1500 is it worth it . And how hard are they to set up.
Before handing over any money, make sure it powers up and functions. go into the service menu and check the number of tube and chassis hours. if at all possible, remove the lenses, and look at the tube condition on the tube face directly.

the difference in value between a CRT projector in good working condition with good tubes, compared to one with worn tubes is great.

head to www.curtpalme.com and check out some basic information here:

http://curtpalme.com/TubeCondition.htm

and here

http://curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.htm

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis3869
I guy at the company has a vph-1252Q for 650 with new bulbs
The G70 is a VASTLY superior projector. It is more modern, larger tubes, higher scanning rate, etc.

The picture on a G70 competes with the Sony Ruby (a $10,000 SXRD digital projector). The G70 can resolve up to 960p (I think)

The picture on a VPH-1252Q would compete with a digital projector in the $2k range. The 1252 can resolve around 660p.

By the way, CRT projectors DO NOT have bulbs, lamps, whatever. They use three CRTs (cathode ray tubes). These tubes last 5000-15000 hours depending on the colour.

If you have the money, and the G70 is in good condition, buy it. However, buy it knowing you will have to do alot of reading, tweaking, and asking questions to get it set up. It's not hard, it just requires time.

If this does not sound like something your interested in, buy a digital projector or something else. The Sony HS51a is a great 3 panel LCD 1270x720p projector for $3.5k for example. It's still not better then a well set up G70 though! If you havent already compeletly read Curt's CRT primer, a CRT projector may not be for you.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Dennis3869

Is the guy with the 1252 interested in the g70 ?

If so then I would try to verify hours and shape of the machine quietly with out letting too many people know what you are up to .

Bruce

PS

And whatever you do not post where you work :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZ
The g70 is much much better than the 1252. Save your money forget about the 1252 and get the G70.

DITTO!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Dennis, stick with the G70. I wouldn't worry too much about the tubes if the price of the PJ is only $1200. Even if all the tubes were completely shot but the PJ itself is in working order it's still worth the cash. Seeing how all 3 tubes would run you about $2800 from Sony(considering the Red tube being shot as well, which is rare) on top of the $1200 would leave you paying 4k....the same price as one with new tubes aready installed.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Dennis,

Great choice. G70 is also my choice for HT. Have you got the installation manual? I just had one of these printed up with a printer that prints on both sides and then put the whole thing in a nice binder. It's a great read and will be a great thing for you to start with.

-B

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dennis, that's a great price. I assume based on the usage you describe that the tubes have little or no wear/burn?

There are a number of forum members who have recently acquired G70's, so there have been quite a few Q&A posts lately regarding setup. I'm about this close -->||

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.