AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I in the minority in thinking this way? Do you guys really watch an entire movie with this feature on? I tried doing it with a couple of movies and I can't watch it for more than 5 minutes. It's hard to listen closely when the movie is playing in the background. It just isn't something I care about. I do like to watch bonus features about the movie, but I like the features that last say.. 15-20 minutes. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this way. Do you guy really watch the ENTIRE movie with HDi on?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I'm not sure you fully understand how the HDi navigation scheme fits into disc authoring. It's not simply the embedded HDi 'features' like video commentary, etc.

It has to do with navigating around the disc itself. Without HDi, you are a bit 'blind' when trying to access scenes, extra features, audio tracks, etc. You can still get to pretty much everything, but it is difficult.

See attached picture of the LG playing on my HDTV. Notice how the Tokyo Drift scene selection are simply chapter marks instead of actual screen grabs. If you own this, or similar disc, you will recognize how different the player interaction interface is with the LG.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does anyone know why LG is doing this? Why gimp the HDDVD portion of this player ?

Isnt the purpose of a dual player to satisfy consumers of both formats ? Its almost as if they want to use this player to sway HDDVD towards Blu Ray.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Because LG did not get HD DVD Forum approval on their player. Microsoft and everyone have to 'sign off' on the HDi implemenation and features to make sure they work properly with the disc's authoring.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/0

I'm not sure you fully understand how the HDi navigation scheme fits into disc authoring. It's not simply the embedded HDi 'features' like video commentary, etc.

It has to do with navigating around the disc itself. Without HDi, you are a bit 'blind' when trying to access scenes, extra features, audio tracks, etc. You can still get to pretty much everything, but it is difficult.

See attached picture of the LG playing on my HDTV. Notice how the Tokyo Drift scene selection are simply chapter marks instead of actual screen grabs. If you own this, or similar disc, you will recognize how different the player interaction interface is with the LG.

Are you able to select the audio format? For example DD+ is the default but if the disc has TrueHD.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S /forum/post/0

Does HDi also control the pop up menu at the bottom of the screen that you can access without stopping the movie? If so, then does the LG player just give you standard DVD menu?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle /forum/post/0

Are you able to select the audio format? For example DD+ is the default but if the disc has TrueHD.

Yes, under audio, you can select the different tracks. But, it's very spartan, like regular DVD. The LG only does TrueHD in 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/0

Does HDi also control the pop up menu at the bottom of the screen that you can access without stopping the movie? If so, then does the LG player just give you standard DVD menu?

Yes, the picture I posted earlier show the pop up menu, which you can access without stopping the move. But it's not the same custom menu that you would normally get on any other HD DVD player. It's hard to describe unless you have a reference point for a standard HD DVD disc/player to compare to.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Also, since the LG does not support HDi, the player does not need to 'mix' in the menu sounds, etc.

So if you select DD+, then regular Dolby Digital comes out of the optical/coax (higher bit rate of course), not DTS like the Toshibas.

·
Registered
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob /forum/post/0

Am I in the minority in thinking this way? Do you guys really watch an entire movie with this feature on? I tried doing it with a couple of movies and I can't watch it for more than 5 minutes. It's hard to listen closely when the movie is playing in the background. It just isn't something I care about. I do like to watch bonus features about the movie, but I like the features that last say.. 15-20 minutes. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this way. Do you guy really watch the ENTIRE movie with HDi on?

I think we have a misnomer here. Sounds like you are refering to IME or U-Control features such as PIP commentary, etc. HDi is the utility that facilitates these interactive features and disc navigation.

As far as enabling these commentary tracks, I seldom do the first time I watch something. I find them more useful on repeated viewings when I'm not so immersed in the story.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 /forum/post/0

I think we have a misnomer here. Sounds like you are refering to IME or U-Control features such as PIP commentary, etc. HDi is the utility that facilitates these interactive features and disc navigation.

Yes you are correct. I misunderstood. I've got it now. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
HDi doesn't get me raving, but as Special Features go, I think it's a really nice idea indeed and can deliver some of the value-added features people seem to crave, without sucking up too much disc space.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Chronos uses an amazing superimposed menu with a 3D globe of the earth that spins and shows where you are in the movie, with infos about the locations, and such.

I don't know if this is HDi but is very cool.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211 /forum/post/0

Does anyone know why LG is doing this? Why gimp the HDDVD portion of this player ?

Isnt the purpose of a dual player to satisfy consumers of both formats ? Its almost as if they want to use this player to sway HDDVD towards Blu Ray.

I think it's a processor problem, they wouldn't have wanted to put an Intel processor in it like the Toshibas. I'm sure LG wll do a proper dual player once the Broadcom chip comes out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.