AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make this more precise, I am going to purchase a new video card for my PC in the next two months. Specifically, I am going to purchase a Matrox Parhelia. The one part about the card I am not familiar with is the HDTV scaler. I'm assuming, since the card only has output(no video in), than this would be an output scaler? Also, this chip uses a 10 bit decoder.

Am I correct to assume that since it uses a 10-bit decoder, it gets such a high quality image that it has to down convert the image for the monitor? Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow! :eek: I can't believe no one has answered this yet. I thought this would be an easy question. Anyway, thought I'd bump it back to the top in hopes that someone can answer this for me. Much appreciated for the response.

Dave

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
A scaler is a device that digitally converts one TV or computer video format to another. Some scalers have variable I/O capabilities, some only work with a preset format(s).

The term HDTV scaler could mean a few different things.

It could mean a device that takes HDTV formats and up/down/side converts them to other video or computer video formats, like 1080i or 720p > NTSC or 1024x768.

It could mean it takes TV or computer video formats and converts them to HDTV formats, like NTSC or 800x600 > 1080i or 720p.

Typically, scalers are used with fixed resolution displays that have a native display rate, like DLP's or LCD's.

I'm not familiar with the Matrox products, can you post a link to more information?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply and informative information. Yoiu can find info on the Matrox Parhelia here:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia512/home.cfm

Unfortunately, only the chipset has been announced so no info on what the HDTV portion of the chip is for or even if they are going to hav the part on the chipset when the boards get released. Here is the block diagram of the chip showing the HDTV portion in the right top corner:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/media/artw...chip_diagr.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.