AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On DVD's there are 2 folders the Audio_TS and Video_TS seems to me that the Video_TS has everything and theres nothing in the Audio_TS folder.

So what is the Audio_TS folder for?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Some older software broke the info down to audio and video. Most current softwares places audio along with the video in one data.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not quite...

The AUDIO_TS folder is for DVD-Audio. Most burning programs include it for compatibility purposes on DVD-Video discs.

The only time the AUDIO_TS folder is referenced is on a DVD-Audio disc when played on a DVD-Audio player.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RicP
Not quite...

The AUDIO_TS folder is for DVD-Audio. Most burning programs include it for compatibility purposes on DVD-Video discs.

The only time the AUDIO_TS folder is referenced is on a DVD-Audio disc when played on a DVD-Audio player.
Absolutely correct.

If you ever put a DVD-Audio disk in your computer, you would notice that AUDIO_TS folder is far from empty.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hmm, maybe right, maybe not so. Here are some commonly known facts that lead me to believe there might be something we are overlooking here:

- AUDIO_TS folder was always recorded on DVD discs long before DVD-Audio discs were invented;

- if AUDIO_TS folder would only be needed for DVD_Audio discs then none of the DVD Video discs would have it there. Moreover, at least some DVD authoring tools automatically create AUDIO_TS folders whenever you indicate you need to create a DVD Video disc;

- as far as I know some of the older DVD players did not read DVD video discs if AUDIO_TS folder was not present. I was told that a few years ago when I was just starting to get acqainted with the whole DVD recording thing. I was told that AUDIO_TS folder has to be present on the disc as per original specification of the DVD format. VOBs contain both video and audio information and they are located in VIDEO_TS folders. But I would not be surprised if some IFO or other files trick the player to believe the audio information is still in AUDIO_TS folder. Having said that I admit that I also burn some of the DVDs with VIDEO_TS folder only and so far had no problems at all.

The above is not based on facts but rather an attempt to rationalize some bits of information I know about DVD structure. But again, this all might be just it - my speculation.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TauRus
Hmm, maybe right, maybe not so. Here are some commonly known facts that lead me to believe there might be something we are overlooking here:
Something you're overlooking perhaps, but not us. Don't read too much into anything. If you want the correct answers -- as provided above -- then seek out Jim Taylor's book "DVD Demystified."

Quote:
AUDIO_TS folder was always recorded on DVD discs long before DVD-Audio discs were invented;
Incorrect. Perhaps you meant to say before DVD-Audio discs were released. Rest assured, they were invented at exactly the same time DVD-Video was.

Quote:
if AUDIO_TS folder would only be needed for DVD_Audio discs then none of the DVD Video discs would have it there. Moreover, at least some DVD authoring tools automatically create AUDIO_TS folders whenever you indicate you need to create a DVD Video disc;
In my reply above I addressed that. Some burning programs place the AUDIO_TS folder there for compatibility. Early DVD-Video players looked to see that both folders existed before playing a disc. This was out-of-spec behavior, but in order to ensure that pressed and/or burned discs would play, the authoring programs made sure to place both folders on the disc for compatibility.

Quote:
But I would not be surprised if some IFO or other files trick the player to believe the audio information is still in AUDIO_TS folder
No. As stated above, older players did seek for both folders but this was "out-of-spec" behavior and has since been corrected in all new DVD players.

Quote:
But again, this all might be just it - my speculation.
That's exactly what it is. Again, if you want to brush up on your DVD history, get a copy of Jim Taylor's "DVD Demystified."

And again for hopefully the last time:

The AUDIO_TS folder plays absolutely no role in DVD-Video discs. It never did, and it never will. It is there for DVD-Audio only.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I've seen a few commercial movie DVDs without the AUDIO_TS folder, so many must be assuming very few of the real old players that needed it are still being used. I've never found even an old 1998 DVD player that couldn't play a DVD with no AUDIO_TS folder either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.