AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain this ?software? called AVIA? I assume it's some sort of dvd to help you adjust the color of your tv etc.. Can someone tell me where I can purchase this and roughly how much it will run me or other alternatives please.. thanks in advanced

·
Registered
11 Posts
Avia is a DVD which has a series of audio and video tests and calibrations which allow you to adjust your picture and sound. It also has a good tutorial on home theater. It is produced by Ovation software (ovation.com). You can get it at Amazon.com for $40.00. It is usually not available at your local DVD store.

As explained on the disk, you will also need a sound level meter (they recommend an inexpensive one) to adjust your surround system.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
PAceto provided a great explanation. The Avia DVD is really good and will help you adjust the picture settings on your display for the best possible picture quality (short of ISF calibration, entering the service menus, etc.). The DVD will also help you to channel-balance the audio section of your system, but as PAceto pointed out, you'll need a sound level meter for this. I recommend the Radio Shack analog sound level meter. There is a digital one but many (including the narrator on the Avia DVD) feel the analog is more useful.

The DVD will walk you through all the steps to perform these kinds of calibrations and it's pretty straightforward for the most part.

I know Video Essentials was a competitor of Avia, but I'm not sure if it's available any more because there is talk of a Digital Video Essentials to replace it - but since I purchased Avia I haven't followed the progress of this DVD.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If you prefer a brick & mortar store, you can also get it at Bestbuy for 50 bucks.

Gus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.