AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved from a studio apartment into a new large 1 bedroom. I previously hooked up my laptop to my receiver via an optical line of 20 feet or so (connecting to USB port of my laptop).

I would like to go wireless in my new setup. I have an Airport Extreme (unfortunately not an airport express with streaming itunes...) and am getting a Panasonic G25 TV when they come out in April.

No Blueray player as of now, although I could see myself getting one.

My ideal solution is simple, takes up 1 usb port or no usb ports, and connects directly into the receiver. Ideally the Panasonic would be able to network with my TV and pick up the music signal but I do not expect that to happen (hopefully TVs in 5 years will truly be integrated network solutions). I could pick up a BlueRay player that does this as well, but havent been able ot find one.

Thanks very much. Apologize if this question is overly vague and I do appreciate all of the help. I also have that USB optical cable solution laying around if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtanu /forum/post/18173790

I just moved from a studio apartment into a new large 1 bedroom. I previously hooked up my laptop to my receiver via an optical line of 20 feet or so (connecting to USB port of my laptop).

I would like to go wireless in my new setup. I have an Airport Extreme (unfortunately not an airport express with streaming itunes...) and am getting a Panasonic G25 TV when they come out in April.

No Blueray player as of now, although I could see myself getting one.

My ideal solution is simple, takes up 1 usb port or no usb ports, and connects directly into the receiver. Ideally the Panasonic would be able to network with my TV and pick up the music signal but I do not expect that to happen (hopefully TVs in 5 years will truly be integrated network solutions). I could pick up a BlueRay player that does this as well, but havent been able ot find one.

Thanks very much. Apologize if this question is overly vague and I do appreciate all of the help. I also have that USB optical cable solution laying around if anyone wants it.

I suppose you have a lot of options (it all depends on $$$
). My personal preference is to be able to listen to music with out having to switch on the TV or even your personal computer (unless it is a 24x7 unit such as a NAS, WHS etc). Just turn on the receiver and press play! The following may not be what you want, but I thought I will list them here as some nice alternate options:

1) Get an Airport Express off Ebay (about $50). Requires a PC/iTunes running.

2) Use an IPod (classic perhaps for more GB/$) with a docking station ($30-$50) for the receiver. (or is your recever IPod ready?). Nice thing is it does not require a PC running or the TV on.

3) Logitech Squeezebox Duet. I have this and love it. You need a server running to access your local media. (or you can get a NAS that has the slim server built in).

4) Logitech Squeezebox Touch looks promising since it has a built in server. You just need to attach a USB storage. Not sure when this will be available.

(1) - (4) all work nicely with an iPhone or iPod Touch (if you have one) remote control software (from Apple for iTunes, or iPeng for Squeezebox).

·
Registered
163 Posts
hi, how about for me... i have a wireless network, often use my laptop for pc use. i'm in the market for a audio receiver...

sometimes i download a flac and want to play it right away...

other times i would imagine not turning on my lcd, but just turning on my home theater system to listen to a few hrs of flac files which i have on a external drive.

i do own a ipod touch.

i've looked at a the logitech products a bit, what's unclear to me is how does it/can it pass a high quality flac file to my yet to be purchased audio receiver?

·
Registered
185 Posts
It can do that, you need a Logitech Software called Squeezebox Server for that, which will then stream to and control your Touch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts