AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everything was working well using Wink, but then they went to a monthly subscription - unacceptable!!

All I want to do is automatically control (On/Off macros based on time of day) and have smartphone control for the following devices:
  • Several Leviton DZPA1-15A modules that need to control Christmas lights and a few other things. I believe (pls correct me if wrong) these use Z-wave.
  • A handful of Lutron Caseta switches w Pico remotes that control lights and fans - It seems like these do not use Z-wave, but instead use Clear Connect, but not sure.
Like I noted above, all used to work well with a Wink hub, but now manual control is possible via the smartphone app, but macros are not supported without a monthly subscription.

The Smartthings hub looked interesting but after trying to buy one, they are unavailable. While Samsung would not state it outright it seems likely that this product is being phased out.

I've looked at Homeseer's controller but it is unclear if it will control both Z-wave and Caseta - possibly would also require a Caseta hub??

Any suggestions on a single controller that will support both Leviton and Lutron Caseta modules?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Homeseer does support both Z-Wave and Caseta. So does our myServer system. Both are DIY friendly. I would be surprised if Samsung discontinued SmartThings...maybe a new version, but I really doubt they are exiting the space. Wink was a bad business model designed around grabbing as many customers as possible at a loss. myServer supports Wink integration but via their cloud (which is what they now charge for). Reused the Wink local hardware for Z-Wave radio. We have integrated with Razberry / ZWay which has no annual fee. Our myServer system does cost multiples but has no required annual fees. It is a couple of levels of "professional" beyond what Smarthings provides. Much more customizable if that's of interest. Also works relatively speaking out of the box (does require a few hours of setup as does SmartThings). The more capable, the more customizable the more time to get things working but it is then fully expandable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds interesting. I'll definitely look into myServer.

To clarify, when you say myServer supports Z-Wave and Caseta, does that require Wink and the monthly subscription or are they both done within myServer by itself?

Also I had some typos in my original post. I have Lutron Caseta switches and Leviton modules. Apologies for any confusion.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Z-Wave devices require a Radio hardware to "talk" to the devices. That can be Wink but that then requires the subscription.
We more typically support Z-Wave via hardware that runs on a Raspberry Pi computer called Razberry. It has full Z-Wave support of all device classes. And there is no subscription model and no cloud is required so performance is excellent and no security issues of the cloud.

Lutron Caseta is supported via their "pro" integration module. myServer connects to that via an ethernet connection. Again, no cloud integration issues.

Both Caseta AND Z-Wave devices can be supported at the same time. The type of communication becomes invisible to the end user who just wants to turn the light On to 80% dim in the bedroom. myServer controls both consistently through the same user interface, the same event rules. The only difference is how myServer communicates to the "hub" that is specific to that device. You can even swap from Caseta to Z-Wave lighting device and your system runs like it did before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I have this right...

I would need to buy a SmarBridge Pro to make the Caseta switches work with the Razberry/myServer approach.

or alternately it could be cheaper/wiser to replace my Caseta switches with switches that talk z-wave.

If the latter what z-wave switches are recommended?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
yes, caseta and z-wave use two different radios. So that's two different hubs for myServer. I would use Lutron before switching to z-wave. Ideally RadioRa2 if you anticipate go all in on lighting automation. Yes, that's multiples of price more. Caseta uses same radio technology as Radiora2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry - it seems like every answer has new terms, which raise new questions. Thank you for your patience.

Is SmartBridge Pro able to control RadioRa2?

One concern I have is that if I go Lutron, then I have many Z-wave modules that control Christmas lights that presumably would need to be replaced (or go with a multi hub design).

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You would need a RadioRa2 Master Repeater. That's over $350. Like I said, multiples of more $s.
Yes you would need a multi hub system but that's still less expensive than ripping out Z-Wave and replacing with Lutron.

As I mention in most of these threads...you select / buy / install the automation controller FIRST and then the devices to control (like Lutron vs Z-wave vs other).
Very few newbees do this because they just don't understand and trust, and then they get caught.
If you want things to be integrated, then you have to design all of it as a SYSTEM. And the automation controller is at the center of it all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. Unfortunately there is some luck involved also in choosing something that stands the test of time. I have now taken two reasonably methodical approaches only to see them flame out, which is why I am asking so many questions this time around in hopes I can choose something that will actually save me time rather than not :)

Your input has been very helpful. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts