AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have (4) VPH 1001Q's and (4) VPH-1042Q's and one old Zenith Ultra Vision 2000

They are all well used. but in great shape and have no visible burn on the tubes.

Here is my question,

I have one of the 1001Q's installed on the ceiling of my family room now,

As you can tell the 700 lumen's is not the greatest.

Is it worth the monumental effort to remove the 1001Q from my ceiling and replace it with one of my 1042Q's?

the 1001Q's have the IR remote that is very nice but not needed.

The fun part is I will have spare parts for life with 8 of these projectors haha.

Thanks for any input.

I have been reading this forum for some time now and this is my first time posting. Great site!

If you are curious the projectors came from work. We had them in a theater that was recently upgraded to LCD. They where so happy that I even un installed them for them! This was no small effort they where mounted 25 feet up in the air mounted from chain on the ceiling about another 15 feet up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the 1001's are the newest of the projectors,and the picture will be about the same, so it's not worth the change. If you're happy with the 480i, enjoy them.

How about an eight vph 10xx stack at 480i!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav99 /forum/post/12924991

the 1001's are the newest of the projectors,and the picture will be about the same, so it's not worth the change. If you're happy with the 480i, enjoy them.

How about an eight vph 10xx stack at 480i!

Sad thing is I was thinking of a Stack to get more brightness.. then thought about the huge headache convergence would be haha.

I thought the 1042Q's would have better specs being that they have RGB inputs and better lenses. I may be wrong data for the 1042Q's is scarce at best.

I have the setup manual for the 1001Q's but not the 1042Q's

All of my equipment is setup for 480i Via S-Video and I am happy with that.

I just love the warmth the CRT brings to the screen.

I have an old Barco Data 8 but the unit is sadly just way to large for my family room haha.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Get 4 more and build a huge 4:3 blend?

Stack them all?

·
Registered
595 Posts
If I had that many of the same PJ I'd just HAVE to try something crazy like stacking all of them.

Actually, I'm insane enough that when I get a chance I'm going to try stacking every projection device I have... Barco 808s, 1271, BenQ DLP projector, Mitsubishi LCD projector, Pioneer LCD projector... It obviously would produce a horrid image, but it'd be interesting to see how bright I could get it!

Honestly, it seems like you'd be best off ditching the 10*s and getting a 1271 or 1272. They're dirt cheap these days and will provide a vastly better (though I'm not positive how much brighter) image.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriSoft /forum/post/12935523

If I had that many of the same PJ I'd just HAVE to try something crazy like stacking all of them.

Actually, I'm insane enough that when I get a chance I'm going to try stacking every projection device I have... Barco 808s, 1271, BenQ DLP projector, Mitsubishi LCD projector, Pioneer LCD projector... It obviously would produce a horrid image, but it'd be interesting to see how bright I could get it!

Honestly, it seems like you'd be best off ditching the 10*s and getting a 1271 or 1272. They're dirt cheap these days and will provide a vastly better (though I'm not positive how much brighter) image.

I already stacked 3 of them, spent a good 3 hours just getting a close to viewable image haha.

Even if I sell each of the 10XX Sets for $150 that is $1350 I can put toward a new projector

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDAudio /forum/post/12945449

I already stacked 3 of them, spent a good 3 hours just getting a close to viewable image haha.

Even if I sell each of the 10XX Sets for $150 that is $1350 I can put toward a new projector

Jeez, if you can move those things for $150 a pop, you should sell all of them, pound together some extra cash, and snag yourself an 8" EM from... uh, a reputable Canadian reseller!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Geeze see what happens when you leave them un attended on the Sofa with no supervision?

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
If the tubes have no wear, chances are you'll make more parting the sets out. Sad but true.

THe chassis are super reliable, you might check with some local sports bars if they'll give you $500 installed for a set. Way cheaper than running a digital in the bars.

700 lumens is good light output from a CRT. 1200 won't be that much more, so if you don't like 700 lumens, get a 2000 lumen digital for a big improvement in brightness (and a drop in performance in many other aspects). Dim your room lights and block ambient light to get better performance out of the 1001.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/12954736

If the tubes have no wear, chances are you'll make more parting the sets out. Sad but true.

THe chassis are super reliable, you might check with some local sports bars if they'll give you $500 installed for a set. Way cheaper than running a digital in the bars.

700 lumens is good light output from a CRT. 1200 won't be that much more, so if you don't like 700 lumens, get a 2000 lumen digital for a big improvement in brightness (and a drop in performance in many other aspects). Dim your room lights and block ambient light to get better performance out of the 1001.

Thanks, After looking on E-bay The parts are going for a good bit!

I think the 700 lumens is not the problem I think the age of the tubes is. I may just buy a new set of tubes for mine and be very happy.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
You'll still have a non HD set. Upgrade m'man!

·
Registered
448 Posts
"I think the 700 lumens is not the problem I think the age of the tubes is. I may just buy a new set of tubes for mine and be very happy."

New tube won't be much brighter, crt's need a dark room.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Those HACC lenses should go on on the set on the roof....

Why not mod the projectors by having 3way stack.....one all red, one all blue, one all green.....swap out some tubes, converge individually then converge as a group.....480i would never look brighter....

Would be pretty easy to do....you've got enough parts

·
Registered
87 Posts
That has to be some sort of a record for the most sony 10xx in one house! I have seen 5 all in one place. But that was some company going out of business. Sell them all!! Go for any 8" EM LC set.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcoguy /forum/post/12963094

That has to be some sort of a record for the most sony 10xx in one house! I have seen 5 all in one place. But that was some company going out of business. Sell them all!! Go for any 8" EM LC set.

When I get the last 4 projectors from work then I think that will be some record haha,

Grand total would be 13 units

The idea of 3 stacked with all one color is an interesting thought. Would be fun to try and find the room for this haha.

But I will swap out the HACC lens's for now.

Thanks for you input guys!

It is looking more and more that I should sell these off and move on up to HD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts