AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm not aware of any other network attached TV tuners. Technically speaking, the HDHomerun is not a TV Tuner card, but a NAT (network attached tuner).

There is a new one in development. From what I've read, it's in beta. It's suppose to add cablecard and have three tuners. But the current HDhomeruns are, as stated above, ClearQAM and ATSC only digital tuners, no analog channels.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts

Quote:
But you might be thinking of the Avermedia Duet. I'm not sure it has a better tuner, but some people prefer it.

I am in a tough fringe area for OTA reception, so I asked about tuner cards a couple of months ago. To make a long story short, I tried out a friend's HDHR and I was not happy with the reception at all. Then I bought an Avermedia Duet on a whim and have been EXTREMELY happy with its performance. In my particular area, it performs even better than my Dish Network OTA tuner, and up until then, the Dish tuner was better than any PC tuner I had owned in the past...YMMV.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Does anyone know whether HDHR has ever upgraded its tuners? My HDHR is probably at least 4 years old, and I find it a bit hard to believe that the new units use the same tuner. Things tend to change.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
ilovejedd, thanks. Mine's a 1010xxx, so a rev 1.

A followup question. I haven't really been following tuner development. Have there been new generations of better (more sensitive) tuners? I was making that assumption.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Back when the rev 2 HDHR was released, I think one of the other manufacturers was using 5th gen LG tuners. Now, I think we're up to 7. As for how much better, I have no idea. My four HDHR tuner works fine for me.

In any case, rev 2 HDHR has lower power consumption compared to rev 1 models and is supposed to have better sensitivity (or was it resolution?).

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Probably sensitivity. Resolution should be the same on any tuner of that type.

I will say I was having an issue with Comcast and they came out and declared the signal strong enough. Changing the splitter myself fixed the problem, so apparently the first generation HDHR isn't as sensitive as what a Comcast box would be. Either that or the service tech was full of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Device IDs starting with 1010-1012 are rev 1. Device IDs starting with 1013 and higher are rev 2. Single-tuner devices are all rev 2. Rev 2 devices do use about 3-4W less power under full load depending on whether the signal is 8VSB or QAM.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The Duet on OTA is roughly comparable to the perrformance of my Tivo HD. The number 2 rev HD Homeruns are not good enough to be a primary tuner of my antenna lead in. The HDHRs do all right as back up tuners, but I can't rely on them.. they just drop out too much. I have a couple of them and I would probably have to invest a much larger and more expensive antenna than I already have. The TivoHD and the Duet work pretty much 100 percent.

I have never quite understood what good all these firmware revs do as the performance for me on the Silicon Dust tuners has always been not up to snuff for primary use whether version 1 or 2. I gave my version 1 tuners to my brother and they work better for him but they are still kind annoying at times. His antenna is in his attic, he has clear line of sight. Probably if he moved his antenna to the roof he would be okay. His TV gets perfect reception with his antenna setup.

I have 3 separate STB OTA tuners, Samsung Centronics etc. all perform far better than the SD tuners. Net attached is a lovely concept, if you have a great signal they would be great otherwise they would drive you nutz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright, so any updates on this area?

Is there a consensus that the Avermedia Duet probably has the highest ATSC signal sensitively in a dual tuner?

Seems like the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid Tuner & HDHomerun units get poor reviews for ATSC fringe signal strength.

I'm able to pull in around 30 ASTC stations when directly using my TV's built in tuner but I'm worried that in my HTPC build that I'll loose some of these. Going to a higher gain antenna shouldn't be needed given what I have now, just need a Tuner that's equivalent to the TV.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy1234 /forum/post/19898550

Anybody using this card? Opinions?

AVerMedia AVerTV Combo G2 (Media Center Upgrade Kit)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...scrollFullInfo

Great card if you need analog tuner/capture capability, perfect for those using analog cable for SD and QAM/OTA for HD channels. If you are OTA only there isn't much point in choosing this over a duet unless you need the analog capture function.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts