AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys consider to be a strong OTA signal that would show me the true meaning of HIGH DEFINTION? I'm pulling in 75 for ABC/KDNL. I'm having some audio problems right now while watching Armaggedon so I kinda figured that the video could be better. Also right now I am using an old outdoor roof antenna. Any suggestions for a decent antenna without breaking the piggy bank? My other local stations are only pulling in 50-70 range :-(. Need to do better than that.

Also, since Direct TV already carries my analog local channels does that mean they also pick up my digital local channels as well? That would make life to easy I suppose.

Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Mike, it's digital, and your question indicates you're still thinking in terms of analog. Any signal that's strong enough for the receiver to lock is "enough". If it locks at 35, you'll get exactly the same audio and picture quality as if it were locked at 100. The only advantage further signal strength renders above the base lock point is better immunity to weather fade. With digital, it's either all or nothing. There's another issue here, too. Much of what goes out over the digital channels is simply SD. In those cases, the PQ will be about the same as you could expect from SD DBS. (I don't believe Armegeddon is going out as HD, tonight.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Armegeddon was in HD on ABC tonight. Looked and sounded good, but some thought it was a little soft. See the thread in HDTV Programming.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
Armegeddon was in HD on ABC tonight. Looked and sounded good, but some thought it was a little soft. See the thread in HDTV Programming.
Having just returned from "HDTV Programming", I stand corrected. Curiously, to me in the L.A. market area, King of Queens appeared sharper than Armegeddon. This in itself wouldn't ordinarily be any more than a personal preference issue, except that I view all my TV on a standard NTSC analog set hooked up to my DTC100 with an S-video cable. If I could notice the difference in my situation, (and it was the apparent PQ that prompted me to post above that I thought Armegeddon was going out as SD) I can only imagine the disappointment the HD display owners are indignant about. Even allowing for the fact that it's on ABC, it's not comparable to what I see with NYPD Blue. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ken and Ray. I guess I am still considered a newbie here. That won't be the last time I ask a dumb question.

I saw Leno for the first time in High Def. OH MY GOD!!! It looked awesome!!! It was almost scary how real it looked. Now that is what I am talking about! That was in 1080i right? I believe my Pioneer 53HD only displays 1080i and 480. No 720 I guess. I am using the RCA DTC 100 so I couldn't use the 720 anyway. Oh well, can't have it all. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hockeynut:
That won't be the last time I ask a dumb question.
Hey, it was not a "dumb" question, Mike. We were both fooled by the apparent PQ of Armegeddon into thinking something was amiss - you into the belief that your signal strength was too weak, and me into the belief that it was being broadcast in SD. ABC - at least in certain markets - clearly (pun intended!) dropped the ball, tonight.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. From what I have just read in another thread, the ABC in St. Louis does not support High Def. That really bites! Doesn't suprise me though. They were the last major local channel to be added to our Direct TV. They took forever.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Your right about ABC in St. Louis (KDNL) not broadcasting any HDTV. It sucks. By the way, I receive a 94 signal strength on ABC-KDNL and I experience audion break-ups. The audio is so bad on KDNL it often sounds like am in an echo chamber. Your video and audio problems on ABC have nothing to do with your set-up. These technical problems are 100% related to KDNL's inept operation. I think they have the worst upconverted standard definition broadcast of the 4 digital stations in St. Louis. It's amazing that KDNL's analog broadcast on channel 30 is almost better than their digial broadcast on 31-1, especially with the audio problems. I urge you to call KDNL at 436-3030 to voice your concerns about HDTV and their audio problems.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:
I saw Leno for the first time in High Def. OH MY GOD!!! It looked awesome!!! It was almost scary how real it looked. Now that is what I am talking about! That was in 1080i right? I believe my Pioneer 53HD only displays 1080i and 480. No 720 I guess. I am using the RCA DTC 100 so I couldn't use the 720 anyway. Oh well, can't have it all. Thanks guys.
Actually you can get darn close though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Most of the DLP and all the D-ILA projectors have multiple resolutions including 720p, and you get a LARGE image. Also My dish network HD6000 HDTV receiver supports 720p, 1080i and OTA. I also watched Armageddon last night. It looked better with my projector and HD6000 set to 720p. Not as sharp as a real 1080i HD though. ABC audio is always out of sync and I too lost the audio for awhile watching the movie. I live in CT.

Don

[This message has been edited by anderdea (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Andy,

I was going to email you about ABC and ask you about that.....

I'm getting a signal lock of 88 for channel 31 (ABC-DC) and it is unwatchable because of the audio dropping. I thought it was a problem with my antenna or DTC-100, but after hearing that I'm not the only one in STL with an ABC problem, I'm actually happy to hear that. CBS, NBC, and FOX are all just fine, even with FOX coming in at 70 signal strength (CBS and NBC are ~85-90). I just hope KDNL/ABC can get their act together in time for MNF this fall.

Jon

Go BLUES!

[This message has been edited by jdiehl (edited 05-02-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.