AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3D has been around for a while now, and while the format seems to have slipped into a form of 'survival mode', with 3D blu-rays still being sold and 3D screenings still popular in the cinema, but the latest 4K TVs and some projectors not supporting the format.

So, until the format experiences a revival and the best emerging tech starts supporting it properly again, what have most people settled on as the best way to enjoy 3D using the older, more established technology?

The older LG OLED 3D-capable TVs?

3d-capable 4K projectors?

Personal Cinema/VR headsets?

Passive or Active technology?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
For 3D movies and general TV, a projector is the way to go these days. Most of the 1080p projectors have 3D capabilities, and some of the 4K projectors. You can find used 3D-capable TVs, but they are expensive. You can get very bright projectors that will do ok in most living rooms with some light. Personal Cinema still suffers from apparent pixilation and the headsets are just too heavy for constant viewing, and they isolate you from the world and people around you. For projectors, it's still active shutter technology, but there are two types. The DLP projectors have the easiest to use glasses (example Optoma, Benq). Some projectors suffer from ghosting of the 3D images, these are mostly the LCD based projectors (example some Epson). If you are into 4K movies, then you are somewhat limited to a few projectors, which I won't list here unless you have a specific set of features you are looking for.

Opinions about projectors are like, well you know, :rolleyes:. If you have one in mind you can post it here, and we will give you our opinion of it. The other thing to do is follow the threads in the under $3000 (or over) projector forums.

·
Registered
323 Posts
3d projector + 3d bluray player

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. :)

@3DBob - I was thinking of a 4K 3D-capable projector that can be used in a normal, well-lit lounge - and also is optimised for lots of use (a TV replacement kind of deal).

A model that jumped out to me for all of the above features is the BenQ TK850:

https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/home-entertainment/tk850.html

I've looked at some reviews, including on this forum:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3117620-benq-tk850-4k-hdr10-hlg-3000lm-home-entertainment-projector-review-owners-thread.html

But, the more feedback, the better! :D

Apparently, the increased brightness helps to mitigate against the dimming effect of the active-shutter glasses, so the 3D experience is very good.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The BenQ TK850 is a good choice as well as the Optoma 52ALV. I personally like the Optoma for 3D, and the BenQ for 4k. These are bright projectors that can be used in well-lit lounge. How big of a screen are you thinking? I had a BenQ TK800 and really liked it for 4k and HDR, but found the 3D a bit lacking in sharpness. I now have the Optoma 51ALV, and it has a good 4K, HDR is average, but 3D is best I've seen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Optoma 52ALV is certainly another viable option to consider.

Hopefully, the 3D sharpness is improved in the TK850 over the TK800. I am encouraged by the reviews of the 4K quality over other pixel-shifting 4K projectors, so if the 3D quality isn't glaringly bad, I would probably be drawn to that model.

In terms of screen size, I would be looking at a screen size of around 70-80 inches.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The Optoma 52ALV is certainly another viable option to consider.

Hopefully, the 3D sharpness is improved in the TK850 over the TK800. I am encouraged by the reviews of the 4K quality over other pixel-shifting 4K projectors, so if the 3D quality isn't glaringly bad, I would probably be drawn to that model.

In terms of screen size, I would be looking at a screen size of around 70-80 inches.
That screen size will definitely allow you to watch in a lighted room. I would go for at least 80" to 100". For 3D, though, a dark room is best because the glasses decrease the brightness quite a bit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So, until the format experiences a revival and the best emerging tech starts supporting it properly again, what have most people settled on as the best way to enjoy 3D using the older, more established technology?
Personally I watch my 3D content on a OLED Series 6 which I picked up after finding out LG was discontinuing 3D across their range. I'll probably move to get a 3D projector at some point as well as the technology is still supported once there's room for it.

Since projectors have been discussed already thought I'd chip some thoughts in on the others:

1) OLED 4K 3D TV's are pretty much at the top end for a TV that can do 3D. You would need a Series 6 OLED from 2016 (C, E or G series) ideally, however one has to be careful to check for Burn-In and 3D FPR film misalignments along with replacement panels that don't do 3D. So you would have quite a hunt to get one unless you were buying from another 3D enthusiast or someone who was able to extensively demo it before purchase. You definitely would want 4K as it works best with the Passive 3D systems LG used.

You can also consider getting a non-OLED LG TV as well, you wouldn't need to worry about burn-in but you would need to consider FPR film misalignments. Again, getting 4K is ideal but you would lose out on the great contrast ratios of OLED as LG uses IPS (less contrast ratio vs VA panels) and older backlight tech back then, from memory issues included the backlight lenses falling out internally which means disassembling and replacing backlights on a few models. You could probably pick up a "spare" 2014-2016 series LG pretty cheap as they included 3D even on relatively cheap 1080p models at smaller sizes, just need to know what models to keep an eye out for.

Apart from that there's always the other brands (Samsung, Sony) which would use Active 3D, I haven't had much experience with them but you'd need to source the correct Active 3D glasses (preferably with batteries, the rechargable ones typically need replacement now) to get it working. You'd aim to get a 2014-2015 year date release where possible. There was the Sony 2016 Z9D models as well, they're some of the last to be sold that supported 3D.

2) Personal Cinema/VR Headsets

Definitely not a good idea for 3D unless you're prepared to compromise a lot. They're designed for immersive VR, so the 3D Blu-Ray viewing is kind of a value add to the hardware like the PSVR. Basically you get a small windowed display (or larger distorted display) of the represented "screen" but in my experience watching it on a TV is head and shoulders better.

3) Passive or Active

To be honest you only really get Active on projectors but I'll let others discuss as I haven't had much experience with this yet. For TV's I tested Active on the Samsungs and the subtle subconscious flickering can cause headaches and eyestrain over time, particularly if you can't control your viewing light sources or spend time adjusting the TV. Passive 3D doesn't appear have those issues and the glasses are easily available (ie you could keep a Real 3D set and use that) or buy some good quality Sony's. If you get a 4K TV the whole "Passive = Half Resolution" isn't a valid argument anymore, if you get a 1080p set depending how close you sit you can get visible aliasing or other image quality issues but not overall as bad as saying it's half resolution.

These days if buying new getting a projector is the only way now at this point in time.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
There's some new laser models that apparently are great for 3D, bright.
Like the Optoma ZH403, 506, etc, and GT1090HDR, HZ39HDR. Also LS700-4K, LS800WU.

The ZH506 is rated at 5000 lumens and LS800WU 5500, with ~3500 calibrated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. :)

My original plan had been to look for an older 3D-capable 4K LG OLED television set. With the right inputs, the 2D picture can be absolutely stunning!

These brighter projectors, that are better suited to an 'everyday' environment and use, are extremely tempting though, as you can't beat the big-screen experience sometimes. These new laser models sound very interesting - hopefully not too pricey...?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. :)

My original plan had been to look for an older 3D-capable 4K LG OLED television set. With the right inputs, the 2D picture can be absolutely stunning!

These brighter projectors, that are better suited to an 'everyday' environment and use, are extremely tempting though, as you can't beat the big-screen experience sometimes. These new laser models sound very interesting - hopefully not too pricey...?
They will.

The ZH403 is ~1100 MSRP, in a year or two they'll probably be half.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
There might be confusion with the Optoma Laser projectors that do 3D. They have 4K input, but downscale that to 1080p. Don't confuse these for 4K projectors with 1080p 3D, like the Optoma UHD52ALV, which does 4K and 1080p 3D. That said, if you are mostly interested in 3D, and not 4K, then those Laser projectors can handle very large screens with reasonably bright 3D.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There might be confusion with the Optoma Laser projectors that do 3D. They have 4K input, but downscale that to 1080p. Don't confuse these for 4K projectors with 1080p 3D, like the Optoma UHD52ALV, which does 4K and 1080p 3D. That said, if you are mostly interested in 3D, and not 4K, then those Laser projectors can handle very large screens with reasonably bright 3D.
Thanks 3DBob, I guess it's a trade-off between 3D performance, resolution, brightness, etc. Just a matter of prioritising the most important features and performance benefits.

In terms of projector screens, I understand that black (or some grey) screens are better in rooms with greater ambient light, and enhance brightness and contrast from the projector lamp, while rejecting ambient light.

I've found it difficult to find many black screens, but CineGrey 5D seem to be easier to find. Are there any brands for these speciality screens that are particularly popular?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
In terms of projector screens, I understand that black (or some grey) screens are better in rooms with greater ambient light, and enhance brightness and contrast from the projector lamp, while rejecting ambient light.

I've found it difficult to find many black screens, but CineGrey 5D seem to be easier to find. Are there any brands for these speciality screens that are particularly popular?
It's been a while since I got into screens. Grey screens do help with contrast, but you need a bright projector. Black screens--I'm not sure, again, you would need a super-bright projector for those. And if you do a lot 3D, they will be tough on dark movies.

Check the screen thread. There is usually someone there who has the same wonder that you do. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/ Also, post in the thread for the projector you are interested in. Usually someone will have already been down the road for screens for that projector.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's been a while since I got into screens. Grey screens do help with contrast, but you need a bright projector. Black screens--I'm not sure, again, you would need a super-bright projector for those. And if you do a lot 3D, they will be tough on dark movies.

Check the screen thread. There is usually someone there who has the same wonder that you do. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/ Also, post in the thread for the projector you are interested in. Usually someone will have already been down the road for screens for that projector.
Ah yes, I do risk going off on a tangent and going off-topic on my own thread! :eek:

I'll take a look at that screens channel as well.

Thanks for all the feedback on here, these are certainly interesting times when it comes to the best 3D experience. Projectors do appear to be the most popular option, particularly with these new, brighter models, and the screens optimised for rejecting ambient light. :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
3D has been around for a while now, and while the format seems to have slipped into a form of 'survival mode', with 3D blu-rays still being sold and 3D screenings still popular in the cinema, but the latest 4K TVs and some projectors not supporting the format.

The older LG OLED 3D-capable TVs?

3d-capable 4K projectors?

Personal Cinema/VR headsets?

Passive or Active technology?

Thanks! :)
I actually like passive 3D on the LG TVs slightly better, however, if you don't sit the proper distance from the set the two 3D images won't merge properly. I am now watching 3D movies and video files on a Samsung js8500 with active shutter glasses. The advantage I find here is that the images are great regardless of how close or how far away you are from the set. This is a 4K TV that came out in 2015 and sold out in 2016. The image is sharp and amazing and a very very close second in terms of comfort to passive 3D.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This thread has definitely been helpful. My Panasonic PT-AE8000 (it came with the house) just died and , if I can’t find a repair shop near me I need to find a new 3D projector . The BenQ TK850 and Optoma 52alv both seem good. I do have a few questions/ponderingA that I hope someone can help with:

1. I assume either one would improve on the PT-AE8000U’s 3d picture or at least be a lateral move.

2. I do have a few thousand more I could spend (if need be) on a 4K/3D projector, would anything provide a significant 3D upgrade or provide equivalent 3d and a worthwhile bump in 4K quality (Otherwise, I’ll get a better 4K player later and run a 2 projector setup)

3. How good are either of these Brands for part availability (for the dark future when they inevitably fail and there are zero 3d projectors on the market)

For the above, my theater is generally lights off with a 120” screen and the projector mounted 3.5 ft above the seats and 13ft from the screen.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I think the thought a head mounted display was overlooked due to the assumption that we are talking about vr headsets. I agree that vr headsets are not the best for 3d movie watching due to lower resolution (I have a Valve Index and it is not bad but not great). However something like the upcoming Cinera Edge would be much better. It has 1440p micro oled panels per eye with 66 degree field of view. All those pixels will be used for the movie. The 3d would be the ultimate experience due to ZERO ghosting/crosstalk and high brightness. I have an LG OLED TV (CP6) and while the 3d is very nice, there still is ghosting/crosstalk on some content (more so 3d gaming than movies) as well as being only 55 inches.

I used to own a Sony HMZ T-1 720p head mounted display which was also oled. While the resolution wasn't great, the immersion of seeing a giant screen in 3d with perfect contrast was incredible. Watching Gravity 3d was simply breathtaking. I got rid of it due to the low resolution, blurry corners and lack of comfort. However I always felt that if they could up the resolution and improve the edge to edge clarity, it would be as good as it gets until 100+ inch oled displays are affordable (but those will probably not be 3d). There were some lens reflections that were more noticeable in dark scenes with something bright. So that's a downside.

So basically you get the contrast of oled with the size, brightness (possibly more) and zero crosstalk of a laser dlp 3d pj (actually even dlp has a little ghosting due to glasses not completely darkening the off eye). Also you get complete light control of your environment.

It may take a little getting used to to allow your mind to be tricked into believing that you are watching a huge image. Some argue that all you are doing is watching a magnified, tiny little screen. Well hate to break it to them, but what do you think a projector is doing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts