AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has not been asked in quite awhile. In fact, I'm the last person who asked it, 6 months ago, and I got no response!

So - I know there is WinDVD, PowerDVD, and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre. I've read a million posts about all of them, but there are far too many replies in each thread to make it useful.

I've been using Windows XP SP3 Pro 32-bit. I currently use PowerDVD 7.3 3319a and it can't play all titles (had trouble with Fast and Furious, and Watchmen).

I also have TMT 3, which couldn't play all either.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (I'm an MSDN subscriber) and installed both TMT and PDVD. I got Watchment to play, haven't tried the other disks I've had trouble with.

I'm looking for the best software, if such a consensus exists, and the method to playback. I stuck with PDVD 7.3 because the newer versions don't allow BD from hard drive. However, TMT3 does - but I've heard some people have problems with that software as well.

So - basic comparisons between the different software would be great, including do I need to rip to ISO instead of hard drive, etc.

Also - I'm currently using an Auzentech X-Meridian sound card and using the 7.1 analog out to go into my Pioneer Elite receiver 7.1 analog input. I have a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma and would much prefer to go HDMI straight from the computer to the receiver for audio and video. Does one software have a better feature set in that regard?

Side note: I'm willing to buy whatever it takes to get to this config - I've heard about the Xonar slim card and there may be others released or being released soon. If it's too early to get the full matched set of software and hardware to get all sound formats in full res from computer hard drive to TV, I would like to know that too.

Thanks, and I hope I can get some good technical comparisons without trying to piece it together from the various threads for each product!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Do you mean 'BD folder structure' by 'hard drive'? ISO is also 'hard drive' (unless you burn it in a BD-R).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've also got PowerDVD 7.3 3319a for playing folders from hard drive but have given up that for ISO.

I used TMT 2.1.6.128 or .130 to play ISO of Watchman.

Virtual CloneDrive (Free) 5.3.0.1. is the last version that works to mount the image. Newer versions don't seem to work for me.

This is under WinXP SP2 32

Later, Conrad

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Best BD playback software: AnyDVD HD.

PowerDVD, TMT, or WinDVD have about no difference in BD playback - only exception being TMT if you want HD Audio support with the Xonar. Only AnyDVD will guarantee you can play every single BD in any player.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/17011086

Best BD playback software: AnyDVD HD.

PowerDVD, TMT, or WinDVD have about no difference in BD playback - only exception being TMT if you want HD Audio support with the Xonar. Only AnyDVD will guarantee you can play every single BD in any player.

AnyDVD HD is playback software? according to their website, they only enable playback with other software by allowing copying.

Please describe how I would use AnyDVD HD to playback blu-rays. I downloaded and installed it, but it said I don't have a drive, which is true on this computer. I rip my movies using another computer on the network then want to play them back on this one.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
AnyDVD HD is not a video player. You will need a player separately.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurot /forum/post/17011359

AnyDVD HD is playback software? according to their website, they only enable playback with other software by allowing copying.

Please describe how I would use AnyDVD HD to playback blu-rays. I downloaded and installed it, but it said I don't have a drive, which is true on this computer. I rip my movies using another computer on the network then want to play them back on this one.

I was being sarcastic. I was stating the fact it doesn't matter what BD player you use - they'll all have issues with BD copy protection. AnyDVD HD will make any of those players work without having to worry about copy protection issues, and that all the players, for BD playback, are basically the same - the only major difference being TMT if you want to use it with the Xonar (which the Xonar comes with a licensed copy of TMT2).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Which of these would have the greatest playback support from player software when ripping?

01. BD Folder Structure

02. ISO

03. MKV container

Without:

01. Losing HD audio tracks

02. Altering original video and audio quality

03. Additional processing time vs. copying BD folder structure (no muxing or encoding)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte /forum/post/17013521

Which of these would have the greatest playback support from player software when ripping?

01. BD Folder Structure

02. ISO

03. MKV container

Without:

01. Losing HD audio tracks

02. Altering original video and audio quality

03. Additional processing time vs. copying BD folder structure (no muxing or encoding)

Thanks.

iso. works with tmt and pdvd.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can MKV be created without demuxing and remuxing or encoding?

For example, can the MKV retain the original disc just like an ISO? I am assuming MKV is just a container like ISO.

Also which is the recommended process and tools for creating an MKV from a BD disc that is similar to DVD Shrink creating an ISO in re author mode?

I am trying to understand so that I can plan an archiving strategy that will be most compatible with 7MC, media browser, and one video player. I would like to stick to open source software if at all possible, but I am willing to buy if it means a seamless and transparent transition from 7MC and Media Browser to the targeted video player software.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte /forum/post/17013629

Can MKV be created without demuxing and remuxing or encoding?

For example, can the MKV retain the original disc just like an ISO? I am assuming MKV is just a container like ISO.

Also which is the recommended process and tools for creating an MKV from a BD disc that is similar to DVD Shrink creating an ISO in re author mode?

I am trying to understand so that I can plan an archiving strategy that will be most compatible with 7MC, media browser, and one video player. I would like to stick to open source software if at all possible, but I am willing to buy if it means a seamless and transparent transition from 7MC and Media Browser to the targeted video player software.

Thanks.

Check the JiffOrange thread about HD to Mkv...

You'll get all the info there.

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:

Yes, mkv is just a container however typically just rip out the main movie track and whatever audio tracks you want. You can also put chapters and subtitles in there if you want. There's a thread that talks all about how to do it and what tools to use ( here ). It is not hard to do, however, it is more involved than using something like dvd shrink.

We use mkv because of the flexibility it offers. Just about every software movie player in existence supports mkv files. The other advantage is that you can losslessly rip out the HD audio track and convert it to flac. That way, you can play the HD audio track without downsampling and what not.

You can leave the video intact (i.e. no loss of quality), although the option of compressing it is there.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:

No. MKV cannot keep the menu. People use MKV to store the original movie along with any multiple audio or subtitle tracks. If you want full disc use, go with ISO.

As far as video/audio quality, yes, it's just like an ISO, and the audio can actualy be even better, as previously stated, because you can transcode the DTS-MA or TrueHD to Flac and not have it downsampled like the ISO would do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
can virtual drives emulate bd iso's?

my laptop has a bd drive that i rip from and convert to mkv. can i rip it as an iso and mount it on my htpc w/out a physical bd drive?

i guess i don't know if there is a difference between dvd iso and bd iso, i've always done folder structure with both.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can mount a BD ISO without needing a BD player in the computer. I've only ever mounted an ISO to a computer with a BD player, but I can't see why not, as it should have to do with the emulation software (daemon, virtual clone). Just make sure you download the newest version to make sure you aren't using an old one before they added BD support.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts