AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies for asking such a lazy question. A year ago I researched heavily here and bought a panny 42 hd5uy. Very happy. Got in on the great Dell Deals. Now in this short time things have heated up and I am less up on whats happening. A buddy of mine wants a 42 " plasma for hd and home viewing DVD and I said I would ask the experts.... Your thoughs gratefully appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
it seems as though nothing much has changed in a year.....

because panny 42 HD "6"UY seems to be the favorite this year when it comes to price/performance ratio.

that dell thing you did still seems to be popular still also.

good luck.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hey Paul, welcome back.

Several more interesting changes to note.

First off, the consumer prices (street) have seemed to close-in a little on the industrial models. In addition, the consumer models just being released are more stylish, with built-in speakers, tuners, HDMI, front access panels with (whatever you call the little card input thingie(SD?)). They even have additional input ports.

Current new 42" consumer is TH-42PX20U (a search will net some photos, etc.) the 'X' distinguishes the HD model from the ED model (TH-42PA20U).

On the industrial side, Panny has gone with a card slot architecture (Some call it 'blades'). 3 Slots for a 'roll-your-own' choice (with limitations). One choice being DVi/HDCP (up to 2 max).

The new HD's are higher brightness and higher (more levels = 1536) gray scale. There have been some technologies 'Marketed' that seem to be aimed at providing 'optical enhancement', but it is still to early to tell how much real PQ lift there is (to new). The HD units now sport a '5 facted' cell structure. They did this by adding cross-ribs (much like the Pioneers have had). This give more phosphor coating surface area per cell.

Current new industrial is TH-42PHD6UY.

The new ED and HD models will require one to look a little closer at how the display will be used, and balance the decision accordingly.

For example, some may really like the front panel input ports for hooking up a temporary Laptop or game, while others may prefer the rear VGA port on the industrial for a permanent hook-up (whether it is a PC of component.)

720p is another choice difference between the two.

BTW, the ED prices are looking better as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.