AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on Optoma's web page they announce that at Infocomm 2002 they will be introducing "...the first DDR DLPâ„¢ Home Theater Projector"

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
DDR usually means "Double Data Rate". I would guess that they will update the pixel values to the mirrors at twice the spead that is currently being done. This might mean a solution to the temporal dithering that many people have been describing. That's my best guess.

They also say that they will be un-veiling other HD2 designs. "Muy interesante."

Awesome. I think I will have to attend. Optoma is leading the budget projector charge. Hopefully they will duke it out with Plus for the budget crown (which with HD-2 chips could be very impressive)

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. The projector might go for less than $5K street so we might need to talk about it in the other forum.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The new DMD chips have a new electrical interface to the other chips in the DLP chipset. This interface looks like the DDR interfaced used on SDRAMs. So the Optoma statment basically says they'll have a new HT projector using the new chips. I assume this means a new projector, not just the H55.

The Samsung website talks about their new HD2 based RPTVs. It looks like the RPTVs and FPs may be coming out pretty close to each other. Maybe that's the way TI is going to pressure the RPTV manufacturer's to have reasonable prices.

-phil

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ PhilB

____

The new DMD chips ...

_____

You are right. Optoma will show new pj´s with this new DMD chip at INFOCOMM

hb

·
Premium Member
24,820 Posts
The Optoma site says

"Products such as the first

HD2 DLPâ„¢ 50" and 65"

Rear Projection TV, and

the first DDR DLPâ„¢

Home Theater Projector."

Is tehre reason to think DDR necessarily means HD2? It might just be the H56 XGA pj.

Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mr. Wiggles,

I don't think there will be much of a slugfest for the lightweight championship of projectors between Optoma and Plus as Optoma was purchased by Plus several months ago!

·
Banned
770 Posts
For any and all that care. I will be at Infocomm on the 13th and some of the 14th of June. I have to do a report for my company and would be happy to share my thoughts and observations if any are interested. Also if anyone would like to meet. I'm game.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My understanding is that current HD1 pj's also have the double data rate system. At least I think the HT300 does. When I first demo'ed the pj this feature was one of the first things talked about. The problem was I was a little technically overwhelmed at the time and didnt listen too closely. I will enquire but I think I am correct.

Regards,

Paul H

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Paul,

The DDR function is new. I imagine you're speaking of the double speed color wheel. That has been out for a while. It is used to minimize the rainbows.

-phil

·
Banned
770 Posts
Optoma would be VERY interested to hear they were purchased by Plus..and so would Plus... Coretronics is not owned by Plus as of 5/23/02. As a side note you might be thinking of Liteware which was just purchased by Plus.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Phil,

You could well be right. On the other hand it was in the context of 'restricted colours' and the reply was 'Not a problem since we are using a double data rate'. I have e-mailed my source close to Simm2 and will clarify this as soon as I can.

Regards,

Paul H

·
Registered
660 Posts
Some people have used the term "DDR DLP" to describe the current generation of 2x speed color wheels. This announcement would imply that perhaps that usage was not correct...

·
Registered
399 Posts
The DDR is part of the name that TI has given the actual DMD device. If you look on the www.dlp.com site and click on "DLP Technology" and "Products" and "DMD chips" you will find a list of DMD chips, like; .7 XGA DDR and .7 XGA SDR 12 and HD2 Mustang LVDS.

I think the DDR and SDR refer to the memory interfaces and LVDS usually means Low Voltage Differential Signal. Not sure where they would use the LVDS though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.