Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing more and more about DVD audio

Can someone explain what it is?

Do I need to purchase a seperate DVD player or just buy certain DVD's?

I've heard the sound of the music is awesome.

After recently re-building my home entertainment center and spending big bucks, I'll feel a little cheated if I don't at least look into DVD audio.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
first of all.yes you do need a DVD-audio player

dvd-audio is away of encoding adisc with 5 discrete channels for play back as opposed to 5 channel matrixed

the problem is very few players or receivers adress the issue of bass management.(if any), so you also need a bass management pros. this keeps the bass from your surrounds and possibly causing damage. outlaw makes just such a unit.(as well as the other speakers. sends it to your sub.)

personally i would hold off until this issue is adressed by the equip.manufactures. to get a decent system i think you're talking upwards of 500.00 bucks.(dvd-a & a pros.)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There are two hi resolution formats, DVD-A and SACD.

They both sound fabulous.

You can find players with (limited) bass management and time alignment capabilities for under $200.

The discs cost between $15-$24.

Yes, you should be integrating one or both into your system plans.

Eventually, we hope to see a digital interface between players and processors as we have now for PCM (regular CD's) Dolby Digital and DTS. But for now you'll need a processor or receiver with 5.1 analog inputs in order to accommodate either SACD or DVD-A.

Sonically, it is well worth the minor hassle and you will not hear your system at it's best until you get one or the other (or both). Yes, it is that good!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Buzz is right on... and, yes, it is that good! I would like to see more DVD-A disks mastered with 24/192 stereo content, but the 24/96 ain't too shabby :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
For christmas I bought a JVC DVD-A player, with all the bells and whistles, cant remember the model. It came with 2 sample discs, one by Yes and another sampler with 12-14 tracks from various artists. I listened to both to decide what I thought.

___

I guess I was deaf, but I could not hear anything that made it worth the time to re-buy the limited titles available that I would need.

___

So, I sold the JVC on ebay and returned to regular cd's.

__

IMHO DVD-A is an attempt by the record companies to rip us off once again.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
While the resolution of the format is superior to the average CD, I'm probably going to hold off buying any more DVD-A disks for the time being simply because I haven't quite decided if I like multilple discrete channels of sound coming at me from everywhere. Many people I've discussed this with have also expressed a preference for the plain old two-channel format.

Ken

·
Registered
30,175 Posts
If the difference was just the higher resolution, I wouldn't have any interest in DVD-A or SACD. While I can hear the improvement in fidelity, it is so slight to my ears that it doesn't really do anything to increase my listening enjoyment over standard CDs. What does turn me on about the new hi-rez formats is the potential for multi-channel music. It is definitely worth getting some SACD/DVD-A titles to hear the 5.1 mix.

Unfortunately not all the multi-channel mixes are as well done as I would like. Things will probably get better once recording engineers get over the learning curve. (Remember when stereo first came out, with those ping-pong style mixes?) Down the road I'd like to hear the additional channels used more to give a sense of ambience & space insteading of trying to wrap an orchestra around my head. The latter drives me up the wall and always ends up sounding so tasteless.

The advantage with DVD-A is that, even without having a DVD-Audio player, I can 'preview' the multi-channel mix on any DVD-Video player using the Dolby Digital track. (However, I've heard that the DD mix is not always the same as the MLP mix. How annoying!) The advantage with SACD is that I don't have to buy a title twice (CD and SACD) if I can find it on a hybrid disc. This way I can play the same disc on my SACD player as well as in my car, my portable CD player, my LD player, etc.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
The advantage with SACD is that I don't have to buy a title twice (CD and SACD) if I can find it on a hybrid disc. This way I can play the same disc on my SACD player as well as in my car, my portable CD player, my LD player, etc.
I didn't know that. Interesting, but unfortunately I can just burn a CD for the road... oops that makes me a thief in certain eyes.

I like the surround mix for certain titles where it's appropriate, others I prefer the stereo mix.

I did a blind comparison with my wife - no, not that kind ;) - anyway, she is anything but an audio/videophile, and didn't damage her ears as much in her youth, so she was the perfect candidate. I had (but since returned) a JVC XV-SA75GD (~$225USD) connected to my Rotel RSP980 and RB985 , and Polk RT16 fronts. Compared to many systems here, this is not on the high end. I have absolutely loved this combination (price/performance). Anyway, I played Hotel California from the Greatest Hits CD followed by the same from the DVD-A using the 24/192 tracks*. The difference was immediately noticeable to both of us. Night and day. And this was giving the CD the advantage of upconversion on the JVC.

* For reference, for Hotel California the 24/192 DVD-A is an exact duplicate of the CD. Only the 24/96 track was modified.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The comments by people saying they don't hear a difference is why DVDA and SACD will *never* catch on, IMHO. Most people either a)don't care b)don't have a system good enough or c)don't care

I personally do not like 5.1 music, unless it is a live concert and no instruments are behind me. How real is a guitar solo from the rear-left channel?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Remember Beta video tape? Well IMHO DVD-Audio is headed to the same location as all those "superior" beta machines. It is such an obvious nunatural scam that I am completly surprised that intellignet people fall for it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just to add to my last thought Beta was a superior picture quality, I actually owned one of them also.

Whether or not DVD-Audio is superior or not is not what I am adressing. Th sound may indeed be better, but you show me a band that performs in a 5 or 6 speaker configuration. I just do'nt consider it at all natural. Bands do not intend for their guitar solos to come out of a particular rear speaker, When mastering these discs others are making these decisions.

___

When artists learn to use this new media and develope music specifically for the media that will be a dirrerent story. I just dont thing the media will ever catch on enought for people to totaly change the way they think/write their music to make it truely worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It is a silly and sad mistake to equate a format (DVD-A) to a style of audio engineering/production. DVD-A has many formats including hi resolution two channel for the spatially biased.

Speaking of which, do objectors to the "artificial" nature of some surround recordings have any idea how modern rock recordings are made?

Do you despise the Beck, Hendrix, Page etc guitar solos that are panned back and forth in two channel recordings?

Perhaps you should relax your rigid interpretation of what is "right" and enjoy a three dimensional musical experience.

Either that or retreat to the safety of mono.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently purchased a Toshiba SD4700 dvd player. I bought it mainly for its progressive scan video features. It is also plays DVD Audio disks.

My friend brought over a couple of DVD Audio classical disks to play on my new Toshiba. What we heard was nice, but very UNremarkable. I immediately assumed that I had made a mistake in the connections between the Toshiba and my receiver.

My question relates to how I should connect it to my Denon 5.1 receiver to fully realize the capabilities of a DVD Audio disk. From what I have read, it is not enough to use a digital audio cable between the two components...is that correct? I guess that I also need to connect each of the analog channels between the two units?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, you MUST use the analog connections to enjoy true DVD-Audio. That is currently dictated by the record companies - no digital connections to keep the mutli-channel formats from being copied.

You might also need to switch the DVD player format to explicitly select the multi-channel output (I don't know that player).

A previous post commented on being able to simply burn their own CD which lessens the benefit of DVD-Audio disks also having the DD track. I think that poster was mistaken in that if a disc only had DVD-Audio, there would be no way to burn a CD from the 6 source channels (and that restriction has been carefully design by the music industry). You can, however, burn a CD from the analog out generated by the decoded Dolby Digital (DD) track on DVD-Audio discs.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"there would be no way to burn a CD from the 6 source channels "

Some processors have the ability to take that 6 channel analog source and fold it down (encoding it) to 2 channels. You could easily then burn a CD from that for playback in a car or wherever.

Shawn

·
Registered
113 Posts
I personally have found a re-newed interest in music due to DVD-Audio. The surround effects make it much more interesting to me. The quality is better, there are sounds that were hard to hear on CD that are clear as a bell on DVD-A. If you can have surround sound in movies, why not in music?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DARREN OLESKI
I recently purchased a Toshiba SD4700 dvd player. I bought it mainly for its progressive scan video features. It is also plays DVD Audio disks.

My question relates to how I should connect it to my Denon 5.1 receiver to fully realize the capabilities of a DVD Audio disk. From what I have read, it is not enough to use a digital audio cable between the two components...is that correct? I guess that I also need to connect each of the analog channels between the two units?

Yes you absolutely must use the 5.1 surround output on your 4700 or you will not hear DVD-A. Also be aware that you'll need to set the configuration up in the Toshiba 5.1 analog menu, where you can adjust for small center and surrounds, delay and level.

Get a DVD-A of music you like, and take the time to configure and setup the player. It will in turn deliver the best sound your system is capable of. Really!!!!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Buzz,

Except that the Toshiba SD-4700 has no time alignment or bass management for DVD-A. Nor does the SD-5700. Those parms only apply to DD/DTS decoding in setup.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Let me make sure I have this correct;

I have a Toshiba progressive scan that is capaple of DTS (I looked up the list of acceptable DVD-A players and mine is on it) and a Denon 4802 receiver.

I need to run two analog cables to my receiver, set the input to analog and the output to DD 5.1 - is this correct?

Then I assume I need to buy a DVD audio disk and give it a test run.

I'm curious as to how it will sound. I'm hearing conflicting opinions in this thread.

I actually have a CD by Jeff Trott (palyed with Sheryl Crow) that is on the list of DVD Audio disks. I've listened to it on my CD palyer and will compare it once I get the analog cables.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.