Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was wandering around ebay because I was bored and came across this strange piece of equipment. I know nothing about high end audio as my nyc apartment is too small to really deserve it (ht room is 10x14). So basically, what is this wierd thing (not that i would even consider buying it).

http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...category=50593

Thanks.

JB

well that didnt work so lemme copy and paste the text

Model: REFERENCE-ONE

"High Definition"

Mono Block Vacuum Tube

Power Audio Amplifier

Output/CH. : 75 Watts (CLASS A P-P) - One/Single Channel

Output Impedance (to Loudspeaker) : 0, 4, 8, 16 ohm

Frequency Response : 20Hz - 20KHz +/- 2dB

Input Mode : RCA / Balance

Input Impedance : 250Kohm (Adjustable)

Total Gain : 28dB

S/N : >90dB (Hum Noise
T.H.D. : 5

Phase Mode : 0¢X

Tubes/CH. : 1 x 6N9P(6SL7 or ECC35)

1 x 6N8P(6SN7 or ECC32)

2 x 300B , 2 x 845

Dimension : 660mm x 495mm x 285mm(D x W x H)

Weight : N.W. 55 KG/CH G.W. 71 KG/CH

AC Input Operating Voltage: 120 Volts (Worldwide Voltages Available)

"It has Presence, Clarity and Dynamic Range to spare,

rip roaring Bass and a Soundstage like you won't believe!

Unique among Audio Components are those innards are as

attractive as the exterior trappings......"

The Reference One Mono Power Audio Amplifier - is one of the most Powerful Amplifiers in the world! It's perfect for any home owner expecting unparallel performance. It 's Warm, Present, Powerful, and will produce Sound Clarity and Dynamics that will simply "Take Your Breath Away". This One Channel Mono Power Audio Amplifier will power nearly any Loudspeaker to its FULL musical potential. We use the Best Electronic Vacuum Tubes, Ultra Low-Noise Resistors, plus High-Grade Polypropylene Film & Electrolytic Capacitors that are currently Available! The Reference One Mono Power Audio Amplifier - will bring life and excitement to a dull and overly processed audio system. Moreover, it looks as beautiful as it sounds!

Few possessions can stimulate your senses and emotions as dramatically as our NEW Premium-Quality Vacuum Tube Power Audio Amplifier. You probably don't drive an entry-level economy automobile. Or wear a $15 wrist watch. So why own a cheap mass-market home audio system? If you seek the enhanced rewards that come from owing the best.....then you are ready for the Reference-One.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrkaos
it is selling for 20k, is that normal?
That depends on what your definition of "is", I mean, "normal" is!

Is it normal for an esoteric, class-A tube amp? Yes.

Is it something I would I ever buy? No way, Jose!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did I just go through a time warp? Is this 1950? Why are vacuum tubes still being used in amplifiers? The only place I've heard of them being used is in guitar amplifiers...but in that case, you actually WANT the distortion. Wouldn't a tube amp sound like crap for music/HT since the tubes saturate and distort at lower levels than MOSFET's?

Not trying to be a smartass, or flame, I am just surprised by the fact that tubes are used, and in such an expensive peice of equipment.

-Scot

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
hummmm tube amps are on way back as people getting sick of solid state amps

for audiophiles nothing compare with the musical sound stage created by tubes although usually output is a lot lower than solid state amps. that is why higher output tube amps are so hard to design and demand a very high price.

try this high end product:

www.jadis-electronics.com

same happening with analogue LP as some people still consider digital sound incomparable to this, such that a mid level LP system beats a high end cd system

all depends what you want from life !!!

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
scot,

hi... i'm also in the twin cities.....

but you must not have been too involved in many web forums.....

tube amps can sound really awesome with the right set of speakers....

if you are willing to do what it takes to care and tend a tube amplifier.... it is almost like owning a pet..... you need to care and feed your pet.... new tubes every so often.... adjusting the bias.... there is a whole culture around tube amps....

check out the tube asylum over on audio asylum as well as the two channel forum on the klipsch forum...

www.klipsch.com

lots of tube users there

i used an old dynaco tube amplifier in my system for about 6 months.... it produced a very nice sound..... but after awhile it starting having a few problems..... maybe needed new tubes...maybe bad capacitors.... i sold it on ebay for more than i paid for it.....

went out on a limb and tried a new digital amplifier from carver professional.... (no connection at all to the old carver company)..... my new amp sounds very close to my old tube amp with more power and the reliability of a new solid state amp....

but yes... to answer your question.... tube amplifiers are a real modern day option for some high quality music reproduction....

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Tube amps do not distort the same way as transistor amps do when they clip. Transistors are mostly linear right up to saturation, at which point they clip with sharp "knees", like a square wave, which is the source of the high-energy noise (harmonics) that overheats tweeter voice coils.

Tube amps saturate and clip much more gently, and the harmonics are relatively pleasant, and much easier on the ears, especially over extended listening sessions. Sunfire's 'constant-current' output terminals are said to mimic the tube amp's output characteristics, and thus sound.

I opened mine up (Shhh!) to see what was different from the 'constant-voltage' terminals, and lo and behold, I found 1-ohm power resistors in series with the constant-current terminals, suggesting that there is an audible benefit to the higher impedance (lower damping) of tube amps' outputs.

I bi-wire my DefTechs using Bob's suggestion of connecting the amps' constant-current terminals to the tweeters and the constant-voltage terminals to the mid-woofers. If nothing else, it's an easy way to bi-wire without having to cram double wires onto a binding post.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Tube (valve) amps vs SS amps are a matter of personal taste, though most tube amps will definitely sound more warm and fuzzy than a SS. But for those interested in high power tube amps I think a better choice and value would be the 150 watt Innersound iTube that lists for about $8,000:

http://innersound.net/itubeover.html

Daryl Powell of Digital Phase also makes a high powered tube amp that he claims is topnotch and I respect his opinion because he makes such fabulous speakers. Then there is Frank Van Alstine who is considered one of the best tube guys around, and his hybrid Fet-Valve amps can put out all the power you want.

Dsmith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.