AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and searched for the "correct" forum to post this under. To my surprise, there isn't a sponser's forum section. But as my issue relates to my 4x2 HDMI matrix from monoprice, I thought this was the closest match in terms of the correct forum to post this in.

So, what in the world is going on with Monoprice. They have been down for 5 days now. Wow, FIVE days! I need to RMA my 4x2 Matrix I got from them last week (it doesn't work correctly). This is the 2nd one I purchased so I know what to expect, and this one is being very unfriendly.

Well anyway, Monoprice keeps extending the time out for when they expect the site to be back. And now, not only is the time being extended out, they're posting this:

"It may take another week or two for us to have the servers completely back up and running in order for us to take orders from customers.

Truly sorry for any inconvenience it may cause you. Thanks again for your understanding and doing business with us."

I feel bad for them. Obvioulsy, this isn't good for business. Was this unexpected?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got an email from them:

Thank you for your email.

I apologize at this moment our system is down and we are unable to take orders. Our system will be down it may take another week or two for us to have the servers completely back up and running in order for us to take orders from customers. Truly sorry for any inconvenience it may cause you.

Should you have any inquiries, please feel free to email us.

We appreciate your business.

Regards,

Janet Villalobos

Anyone know any alternatives to Monoprice that has as good a deal on speaker wires? I be damn if I want to wait 2 weeks and then another few days for delivery.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I suspect they've had some sort of horrible database issue--catalog-based websites can cruise along for years without trouble, and then hit one nasty speed bump when something gets mixed up in a database file. No fun to fix, that's for sure.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a little research (just go to Monoprice's Face Book page) it seems as if their servers have been hacked. People are reporting unauthorized CC charges since making purchases from Monoprice. And sure enough, since my purchases were made from them a week ago, I have $200 worth of unauthorized charges on my CC!

I called Monoprice and the customer service rep would not confirm or deny my question as to this being the real reason the servers are "down for maintenance". This made me very upset since, if it is indeed the reason, they should inform their customers so they can take action to protect their CCs. I have since reported my card as stolen and am in the process of disputing the charges.

I have informed my CC company as well as the FTC of the potential source of the information theft.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
23 Posts
CSR told me in a chat that the site would be back at 3 PM PST today. I'm not sure I believe that. In the same chat he said it might be weeks before they could take online orders again.

Now the dilemma - wait for monoprice to be back up before placing a sizeable order or shop elsewhere and pay a lot more...

·
Registered
69 Posts
After reading Stroonzo's post I think I will take my business elsewhere. Something like this is not worth saving a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ehhh... The good news is, no one is responsible for fraudulent usage of their credit card. I am just upset that Monoprice would not have the courtesy to inform their customers of what is going on. But I'll still buy stuff from them. This is why I never use my ATM / Debit card for transactions like this. This way, no one can clear out my checking account (although temporary during the charge dispute, it would still leave me without money in the interim).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't be quick to assume they were compromised. I actually placed an order around midnight EST on Friday, shortly before they took the site offline and have had no unauthorized charges on my card.

I just hope my order was shipped yesterday like the placeholder message says. Since nobody at monoprice is able to look anything up while the system is offline I can't get confirmation.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKSALEEN /forum/post/18279778

After reading Stroonzo's post I think I will take my business elsewhere.

I wouldn't be quick to diss Monoprice over this!!

This kind of thing has happened to the biggest and the best. My wife had illicit charges after shopping at TJMAX and I've had bad charges after buying an airline ticket!

It is very unfortunate for them (and for me who will WAIT to place my order with them) but it is a non-issue for anyone who has unauthorized charges on their credit cards - they have only to call their credit card company and report it and the charges will be deleted immediately.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/18280437

This kind of thing has happened to the biggest and the best. My wife had illicit charges after shopping at TJMAX and I've had bad charges after buying an airline ticket!

It is very unfortunate for them (and for me who will WAIT to place my order with them) but it is a non-issue for anyone who has unauthorized charges on their credit cards - they have only to call their credit card company and report it and the charges will be deleted immediately.

True, very true.

It happens to a lot of companies. I ordered some things from them about 3 weeks ago ( very happy with what I got ) and I called my bank (Chase) and they said there were no additional charges on the account and if there were, they would handle it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the issue is not as much that this happened, because it's a reality these days, but if so many people are saying their credit cards were compromised (quite a few on their facebook page), they have a responsibility to notify their customers so they can take the appropriate actions.

It's more an inconvenience than anything, but people want to know before someone steals their credit...i've had it happen and it's not fun.

It's also interesting that I've read several comments (not here) that some of their biggest competitors have jacked their prices and are advertising on all the forums (including this post), and one even had an ad on monoprices facebook page saying 'buy from us, our website it up.' Very cheesy/shady business practice.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a citibank card that I use a decent amount online and off. Citibank has replaced the card at least 2 times the past 3 years because some place I used the card at got hacked.

You get people scared on online transactions but you are just as likely have a waiter or gas station guy steal your number.

That being said, using a regular credit card is safer then using a bank lined card. Either way you will get your money back but with a bank card they put a hold on your checking account for a little while.

Customers like the ease of use that why these companies store your card numbers. If places make you enter your card each time then they have no need to store card number. The ones that store the CVVS2 are the worse. That number is becoming useless as people store it.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I RMA'd a 4x2 HDMI matrix switcher to monoprice last week, they emailed me last Thursday and told me they had received it. I've yet to receive credit for it. This makes me wonder if they're going to wait to credit my bank account for two weeks or so whenever the website is back up 100%.

aaarrrgh!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was a victim of the CC account theft, I had about $400 siphoned from my checking account about 2 days after my order from them. SUCKS

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:

Not "dissing" Monoprice by any means just making a statement. It is a non-issue for those who had unauthorized charges but it is a hassle for anyone who has made charges with them. Everyone now has to go back and investigate whether or not they were a victim of this.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just saw a very interesting thing on their facebook page of someone that payed with paypal being hit. And they responed to them.

Quote:
Monoprice Well, in this case, we may have to suspect PayPal. We're also using PayPal as our primary payment gateway.

This could be much bigger than anyone has thought.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If Paypal has been compromised, that is a complete and total (self-censoring but fill in the blank)-storm. But I seem to recall entering in my details with Monoprice directly, and it seems rather premature of them to attempt to cast blame on the biggest online payment processing corporation on the planet. That's not the kind of thing you say without very, very firm evidence, and I'd like to see it.

Here's a link to an article discussing the breach: Monoprice.com Shuttered After Fraud Complaints

My last order with them was either late December or early January, and it seems that this issue is more recent than that. Plus, the card that most of the purchases were made with was my wife's, which she subsequently misplaced and had replaced by the bank (only to find it a couple days later, but, hey, no biggie). New numbers, so those purchases are probably not at risk of compromise, if nothing else. However, I may have bought one item from them with my own card, I just can't remember... It's expiring before too long anyway, this suddenly seems like a good time to get a replacement from the bank.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell /forum/post/18283049

I RMA'd a 4x2 HDMI matrix switcher to monoprice last week, they emailed me last Thursday and told me they had received it. I've yet to receive credit for it. This makes me wonder if they're going to wait to credit my bank account for two weeks or so whenever the website is back up 100%.

aaarrrgh!

To update my earlier post, monoprice did credit me for my returned HDMI switcher yesterday.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts