AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What in the world is going on? I own a Mit DLP from a couple of years back and it gives a gorgeous picture. Obviously it is not the best on the market, but these LCD displays are ridiculously sharp.


In fact, when I was watching one the other day at CC, I was thinking that I would not even buy the T.V. because it was like it didn't even look like a normal movie. They had what looked like a calibrated LCD (120 HZ) hooked up to a blu-ray player and it was chin-dropping, shin-breaking clear. The picture was so clear it looked like I had 3-D glasses on and the movie was 3-D. John Goodman looked like an animated figure.


And it was so good of a picture, it was almost like you could tell the people in the movie were acting. It is like it spoiled the point of watching a movie.


Is this something you get used to or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd /forum/post/15437056


What in the world is going on? I own a Mit DLP from a couple of years back and it gives a gorgeous picture. Obviously it is not the best on the market, but these LCD displays are ridiculously sharp.


In fact, when I was watching one the other day at CC, I was thinking that I would not even buy the T.V. because it was like it didn't even look like a normal movie. They had what looked like a calibrated LCD (120 HZ) hooked up to a blu-ray player and it was chin-dropping, shin-breaking clear. The picture was so clear it looked like I had 3-D glasses on and the movie was 3-D. John Goodman looked like an animated figure.


And it was so good of a picture, it was almost like you could tell the people in the movie were acting. It is like it spoiled the point of watching a movie.


Is this something you get used to or what?

Congrats, you witnessed a Samsung 6, 7, or 8 series UCP. The UCP gives you more depth perception, blacker blacks, and superior shadow detail working in conjunction with the AMP VP smoothing the jerkyness of the camera. Many people hate the look, many love the look. Now buy the damn thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/15437172


Congrats, you witnessed a Samsung 6, 7, or 8 series UCP. The UCP gives you more depth perception, blacker blacks, and superior shadow detail working in conjunction with the AMP VP smoothing the jerkyness of the camera. Many people hate the look, many love the look. Now buy the damn thing

How do you know it was a Samsung? he didn't specify as to the brand. Maybe it was a sony?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow /forum/post/15437183


How do you know it was a Samsung? he didn't specify as to the brand. Maybe it was a sony?

Because a matte screen doesn't give you a jaw-dropping, shin-breaking clear response. Only the UCP can give you depth, and depth is what the OP was describing. What makes 3D, 3D? Depth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/15437218


Because a matte screen doesn't give you a jaw-dropping, shin-breaking clear response. Only the UCP can give you depth, and depth is what the OP was describing. What makes 3D, 3D? Depth.

Well I disagree. I have two Sony XBR4's and I get jaw dropping depth from both of them. In fact It came down to the Sony and Samsung models and I preferred the PQ of the XBR4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Yep when you get a good LCD with a high end source like a Blu-ray then things look amazing, but keep in mind that "NOT EVERYTHING" is going to look that good, especially SD stuff.


HD content is improving everyday but there is still a lot that isn't crystal clear because not all networks use top end stuff which is why some shows look down right incredible while other programs only look so-so, and in some cases I've seen pretty poor looking HD and SD well that's just bottom of the barrel on a large LCD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those of you arguing over whether the set was Sony or Samsung, you are in luck.


I cant remember.


And by the way, before I can "buy the damn thing", does it come in a 73 inch set so it can fit my beautiful, large cherry wood entertainment center? If I were to put anything less than 65 inches in that thing, it wouldn't matter how jaw-dropping or shin-breaking the picture, I would be the laughing stock of the neighborhood.


SIze rules my roost, not quality, as of yet. And if quality leaves me itching my head as to whether I'm in a 3-D movie theatre watching a kids animated program, I'll opt with what you'd consider lower quality.


As long as it comes in 73 inches!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,754 Posts
and sony has the 70" xbr7 for $20,000


but all this talk about samsung or sony -- i'm reading between the lines and think the OP is talking about the processing giving it that fake look to movies; and since it is so over the top, i'd vote for the samsung, since its AMP motion processing is just that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmae /forum/post/15438988


I'd go for quality over quantity.

That's because you dont own my entertainment center. It is a work of art itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/15437218


Because a matte screen doesn't give you a jaw-dropping, shin-breaking clear response. Only the UCP can give you depth, and depth is what the OP was describing. What makes 3D, 3D? Depth.

Fail. It doesn't take some "UCP" (how lame) to give you that. XBR6 does it just fine...without the mirror. (Hey, look, I need a haircut!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
i own both sony and samsung 120hz sets, and IMHO sony does the motion enhancement much better than samsung. with the samsung's AMP on 'low', movies still look like video feed and the judder issue while improved, still needs help. on my sony, there are just two settings; standard & high, and while 'high' is too much, the 'standard' setting reduces judder to a minimum while keeping that 'motion picture film look'. this isn't to say: "go out and get a sony LCD", as there are plenty of trade offs, perhaps even making samsung an overall better value... too many to mention.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd /forum/post/15438156


For those of you arguing over whether the set was Sony or Samsung, you are in luck.


I cant remember.


And by the way, before I can "buy the damn thing", does it come in a 73 inch set so it can fit my beautiful, large cherry wood entertainment center? If I were to put anything less than 65 inches in that thing, it wouldn't matter how jaw-dropping or shin-breaking the picture, I would be the laughing stock of the neighborhood.


SIze rules my roost, not quality, as of yet. And if quality leaves me itching my head as to whether I'm in a 3-D movie theatre watching a kids animated program, I'll opt with what you'd consider lower quality.


As long as it comes in 73 inches!

If you want 73" exactly you'll have to head into the rear projection arena. Otherwise if MONEY doesn't matter to you then Sony has 70" model for five figures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
What you saw probably had some sort of motion-flow, which makes the picture artificially smoother. I would say that the technology is still not perfected, but thankfully you can turn it off. With this "feature" off, today's lcd look amazing with a blu-ray source. I just watched Kung-fu Panda on bluray on my new XBR7 and I was blown away. To me, it is amazing how display technology has advanced in just the last few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan /forum/post/15453629


Fail. It doesn't take some "UCP" (how lame) to give you that. XBR6 does it just fine...without the mirror. (Hey, look, I need a haircut!)

Some of us use a new technology like curtains and venetian blinds, ever hear of them? I know it's something new, but the blinds have a mechanism that you can turn and amazingly you are able to control the light coming in, what will they think of next?

Also, the UCP DOES make a difference, just ask one of the numerous pro reviewers. I would love to do a hidden camera setup where a calibrated Sammy and Sony are playing a BR of Pirates of the Carribean side by side and get the reaction of the viewers. You already know the answer and wouldn't admit it, but the "wow" factor would come from the Sammy hands down. And you also know that the "wow" is a direct manifestation of the UCP, but again, wouldn't admit it. Like i said, people will still buy the Sony because they prefer a matte screen and don't want to deal with light control, that's fine, and the XBR6 is a fine set, but that doesn't negate the fact that the UCP gives you more depth perception than a matte screen, that is a fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/15455841


If you want 73" exactly you'll have to head into the rear projection arena. Otherwise if MONEY doesn't matter to you then Sony has 70" model for five figures.

I already own a 73" Mitsubushi.


Read.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top