AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did we come to the term "Home Theater"?

Does it mean Big TV?, Super internet access portal, In your face Gaming System, Theatrical reproduction device, or just Universal Interface?

More and more devices are being linked to what is our TV...or should I say SuperTV.

Is this the precursor to the holodeck?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, it is the precursor to the holodeck. I have mine on pre-order now.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Actually the holodeck release date was just pushed back... I hear it's another 2 weeks.

TM

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Wait til you all see the price on a replacement lamp for your holodeck! :D

And what exactly happens when you have a stuck pixel?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
with enough drugs everybody can have a holodeck right now!!:D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Actually the holodeck release date was just pushed back... I hear it's another 2 weeks.

TM
LOL!!! :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Keeping on topic, I propose Home Theater to be simply this: A Theater in your Home, or at least all the good things of a theater (no sticky seats, loud guests, crummy popcorn) in your home . A good movie house has comfortable seats, a screen big enough to pull you in and great sound, nothing more unless you count concessions. No video games, no web surfing, no shadow puppets. In the purest sense of the words 'Home Theater', in my opinion, these items can't be considered because they don't exist in a basic cinema house.

We should come up with a better term than Home Theater to expand the definition to include these things. Maybe we should call it Home Theater Plus.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by larryep
with enough drugs everybody can have a holodeck right now!!:D
Quality is far more important than quantity. :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Personally, if an HT room includes items such as videogames and web-surfing capabilities, I'd call it a "media room", or an "entertainment center". A home theater is exactly what the name implies: a film screening room.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I have moved toward the holodeck theory. Or at least the bridge of the Enterprise. My "home theater" plays movies, but also is totally integrated into my life now. VERY low WAF!!!:)

Hey why not put a ten foot wide window to the world directly in the center of your living area? My girlfriend hates it when I fire up my hang gliding simulater in the living room :)

Next to hook up:

videophone

Webcam

hack into mission control and link to spacewalk feeds. Nasa TV is cool but I want total control. Not what they feed me. James T would have wanted it that way.

Military feeds would be cool too

·
Registered
859 Posts
From dictionary.com

home theater - n. A system of sophisticated electronic equipment for the presentation of theater-quality images and sound in the home.

Outside of the fact that many home setups perform beyond the level of the typical commercial theater, I'd say that pretty much nails it. What you use that equipment for, watching tv, playing video games, surfing the net, are all incedentals so long as the above criteria is met. The more esteem you hold film in, the less tolerant you will be of these other intrusions, but that is a personal decision and should not impact what the definition of Home Theater is. "to watch movies" is not a part of the definition.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Ditto Art.

Home theater: dedicated room for film (DVD)

Media room: HT system in family room, etc.

Jeff

·
Registered
387 Posts
Considering the forum, the question should at least have been "What is Home Theater (with a projector worth more than $5000 in it!)?"

Otherwise this question should have been in HT General, not in here.

But maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by all the general topics in here. I'm sure buttered popcorn is also somehow germane to the topic of digital high end projectors...

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmo Jaskari
Considering the forum, the question should at least have been "What is Home Theater (with a projector worth more than $5000 in it!)?"

Otherwise this question should have been in HT General, not in here.

But maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by all the general topics in here. I'm sure buttered popcorn is also somehow germane to the topic of digital high end projectors...
Kimmo,

Although you may be correct in the fact that it is a general question, I will often do the same and post in the forum that has my target audience in hopes that the responses will more applicable to my situation. If that had been posted in the general forum the answers would have been quite different or the wording needed to narrow it down would have brought fire and brimstone. :D

Art

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Home theater: dedicated room for film (DVD)
Why limited to DVD? So, if I pop in the DVD then it is home theater, but if I pop in the HD version of a movie then it isn't? I can tell you, after watching part of Shrek on DVD and then switching to my HD tape version, people sure didn't want to go back to the DVD. I think I know what you mean, just wanted to get in another plug for HD and that HD (and even HDTV like HBO) does not mean it isn't film :) I think some people have gotten confused by the term HDTV and thought, "It has the letters TV, so it must not be film."

--Darin

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If HDTV is anything like what I saw tonight watching Swordfish on HBO, then bring it on. All I can say is mindblowing. Yes, HDTV on a 10' screen and a D-ILA is a holodeck.

Film.... No movie has ever delivered what the HT with HD can. DVDs Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I see lots of people working toward their nirvana which is a real "Theater with drapes, cinema seats, etc. Thebland is right on, its a dedicated room for experiencing movies (sight,sound,comfort) with bias toward the owners preferences.

I am not nor can afford the space for this direction. I get tons of pleasure providing a "Entertainment" room for my wife,kids, and friends. This is much different. It includes party lights, music videos on the big 8foot screen, gaming on the big screen. It also includes furniture and tapestries to make a cozy living space. It has sound control and meets the needs of everyone that uses it. "Its a place to watch the afternoon game and read the Sunday paper at the same time". Light control was a major issue but the Hit-5500 on a 8 foot screen is viewable while lights are on for reading.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.