AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
the 70" TV's are still the largest freestanding RPTV's you can buy....

Sony 70 -- Samsung 71 -- Mitsu 73 all about the same size give or take

There was that 80" Mitsu LCoS HD RPTV in 04 -- maybe still could find around....

·
Registered
596 Posts
I didn't see any >70" RP's announced at CES. Everyone was stressing flat panels, not RP. Only Panasonic had a new RP to show (and it was 3LCD). You might check the press releases in the CES forum find out one way or the other. I only know what I saw on the floor.

The 80" Mits is the only set that large I've ever heard of. Here in Houston, they still advertise the set for sale at Home Theater Store. It's old technology at this point -- the best connection it offers is DVI.

Mostly people go for FP after 70" or so. However, Panasonic would be happy to sell you a 103" plasma for only $70K!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would have loved to see that 103" plasma in person! Seeing the pictures with the girls standing next to it - really put its size into proportion.....plus.....the girls seemed to help the picture too!

I have a dedicated media room up-stairs with a DLP front projector with a 110" fixed screen. Seeing the picture of that Plasma, I can't imagine a plasma with its brightness about the size of my front projector's screen! That would blast me through the wall into the back yard!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm afraid the young ladies standing next to the big plasmas were more impressive than the screens themselves, other than shear size. The big screens weren't that bright and the contrast wasn't very high -- to my eye, anyway. Sony just put their new 70" LCD on their web site with a dynamic contrast specification of 7000:1. My SXRD is rated at 10,000:1. So I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt /forum/post/0

I'm afraid the young ladies standing next to the big plasmas were more impressive than the screens themselves, other than shear size. The big screens weren't that bright and the contrast wasn't very high -- to my eye, anyway. Sony just put their new 70" plasma on their web site with a dynamic contrast specification of 7000:1. My SXRD is rated at 10,000:1. So I'm not impressed.

Robbin,

The only 70" flat panel I could find on Sony's website was an LCD not a plasma. It's a bit pricey at $32,999.

SDL

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

I didn't see any >70" RP's announced at CES. Everyone was stressing flat panels, not RP. Only Panasonic had a new RP to show (and it was 3LCD). You might check the press releases in the CES forum find out one way or the other. I only know what I saw on the floor.

The 80" Mits is the only set that large I've ever heard of. Here in Houston, they still advertise the set for sale at Home Theater Store. It's old technology at this point -- the best connection it offers is DVI.

I think it was actually 82" and the picture is not very good frankly. As noted it is pretty old tech and quality.

They have them for $5000 at the Home Theater Store here in Austin too. I thought about it but did not have the room since you can't put it on a stand it has to have its base and thus I would not have room for any of my gear. Not to mention the disappointing picture ultimately would have kept me away.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDL /forum/post/0

Robbin,

The only 70" flat panel I could find on Sony's website was an LCD not a plasma. It's a bit pricey at $32,999.

SDL

You are correct. It's an LCD.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcar928fan /forum/post/0

I think it was actually 82" and the picture is not very good frankly. As noted it is pretty old tech and quality.

They have them for $5000 at the Home Theater Store here in Austin too. I thought about it but did not have the room since you can't put it on a stand it has to have its base and thus I would not have room for any of my gear. Not to mention the disappointing picture ultimately would have kept me away.

Did you ever see the Mits LCoS in person? I was never able to find a local HTS that actually had one on the floor -- even when they first came out.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

Did you ever see the Mits LCoS in person? I was never able to find a local HTS that actually had one on the floor -- even when they first came out.

Yes, the Home Theater Store in Austin, TX had/has one, and I think the same chain in Houston had one.

I was NOT IMPRESSED the first time I saw it. I was not looking at anything that big so I only gave it a cursory glance from about 14' away I guess and I thought the pic sucked from there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.