AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started doing alot of 169 recording using my BEV 6000 and am experencing alot of dropouts. I am using JVC DVHS-420 tapes. My definition of a dropout is:

1. the picture freezes for a second or so.

2. There is no audio.

I get it maybe 4 or 5 times in a 60-minute program.

I followed the 169 thread with alot of posts but need the most current info.

a. Who does NOT get dropouts as above on a US 6000 or BEV 6000?

b. Is it the JVC 30K problem? If so, who do I contact and where?

c. If there a fix that I can do?

d. Does Richard have a fix?

I rarely see dropouts on my HBO recording with my DTC-100

TIA,

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have both the MITS and JVC. There is no difference in dropouts. I experience dropouts as you report above.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Christian
Does the JVC "fix" I read about solve this, Mikey?
I can't answer that as the only fix I got was the first one; not the very recent one I assume you mean.

Actually, I record very little with the JVC as I much prefer the MITS (I have three MITS).

I'm one of the lucky ones who has never experienced an issue with the 30K.

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
I have those same dropouts or freezes. I sent my unit into 169 as Im told it should work perfect. We shall see once I get it back.

I know someone else with the same receiver with the same results.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
I have those same dropouts or freezes. I sent my unit into 169 as Im told it should work perfect. We shall see once I get it back
Please let us know.

Actually, I can probably live with the dropouts I am getting. But if a fix is available from 169Time I may decide to send my DTC-100 back for modification as "perfect is better".

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
As was posted, the "dtc10o fix" is only for pixels. My unit was the first he had seen so if was test unit he fixed. Doesnt help "dropouts"

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I've been working with the AVX system for recording since the beginning. The dropout issue you describe has always been present at random frequency. Before the current software those dropouts mostly caused a total destruction of the record session where now the system recovers nicely. So far all those who have issued "perfect results" posts are documented later as saying they did not look at all their recordings so at best they were guessing their recordings were 100% perfect with no dropouts.

In my recording, The dropouts can be gone for as long as 75 minutes of perfect recordings and then I may get 2-3 in a row followed by 60 minutes of perfect recording. Next day I watch a tape and I'll notice droupouts one every 10 minutes. (different tape / recording session)

So what's my solution? I use the 169Time system every day now for timeshifting mostly late light movies and I am quite pleased with this as a time shifting system only. When I record a movie for archives now, I want it perfect, meaning NO 169Time glitches at all. To get this perfection I use the Panny system E*5000/HDTV modulator and the PVHD1000 DVHS deck. That is one system I have that never has glitches! I mostly archive movies with this system as opposed to the 169Time stuff because of the desire for a guaranteed perfect recording.

As for the 921 product. The truth is we have no idea how this box will work when it arrives. We have been told that at first there will be no Dishwire to archive to tape but this feature is receiving top priority to make it bug free when they finally do upgrade the software to include it. When? Who the heck knows? We've only been told that the first you will be able to order the 921 from E* nor dealers will be Nov 1 but this is just another in a long list of ETA's for the 921.

If I had nothing now and was trying to decide- I would first ask myself is I could live with time shift only. If so I would then wait for 11/1 and see if they do release the 921. If the push back another month then say 169Time and go for it. If the 921 is out then go for that on 11/1. Most likely the 921 will work easier than the 169Time for time shifting anyway.

If you really must have an archive system and feel you have to insist on perfect recordings, look for a Panny system and be prepared for that to be obsolete in a year, where hopefully, by then you can jump to the 921 with archive turned on.

In summary- Most people need to divide into two camps, those who must have perfect archive copies playable on other DVHS VCR's and those who can settle with glitchy, kludgy, time shifting until something better comes along. At this point in time I could be in the Glitchy kludgy camp as I have the Panny for those rare times I want to archive to a perfect recording. But if I had one system right now it would be the 169Time. We'll see where I stand after the 921 arrives!

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Don:

Can't argue with your logic.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don, my only comment is I love using my dtc100 with 169time with my dish5000. I get 100% recordings with this.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.