AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Building a cabinet with component cabinet on the right as pictured above.

Three possible design choices

1. AVTRAK - pull out and rotating pre-made rack (expensive, are wires even long enough?)

2. pull out shelves

3. make the entire right side of the cabinet a push button door on a hinge and access from the side (would require custom faceplates for the AV equipment)

What do you think?

http://avrak.com/avtrak-pull-out-rotating-rack

·
Registered
10,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemants  /t/1520846/what-is-more-usefull-for-av-cabinet-pull-out-or-side-access#post_24435136

1. AVTRAK - pull out and rotating pre-made rack (expensive, are wires even long enough?)

See also the Middle Atlantic AX-S, AX-SXR, SRS and ASR models - similar price range but lots more options. Most of these MA units are true 'racks' so you can rack mount equipment and use the custom faceplates if desired. The ASR series is the directly comparable shelf system to the AVTRAK.

I have the AX-S pull-out rack (doesn't rotate). I wish I had the longer track (don't have the room to allow it) so I could get to the back of the gear easier.

And wires, well, yes, they will be if you plan for them!

Quote:
2. pull out shelves

Worst of the three options. Without cable management this becomes a real hassle.
Quote:
3. make the entire right side of the cabinet a push button door on a hinge and access from the side (would require custom faceplates for the AV equipment)

Cheaper solution than the pull-out rotating rack. Not quite as easy to deal with the cables, but certainly workable.

But why does that require custom faceplates? With the side panel closed it wouldn't look any different than any other cabinetry...

Jeff

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1520846/what-is-more-usefull-for-av-cabinet-pull-out-or-side-access#post_24435310

But why does that require custom faceplates? With the side panel closed it wouldn't look any different than any other cabinetry...

Jeff

Any rack that is open from the side and back would presumably look much uglier from the front when peering through than a nice wood or glass shelf system that is fully enclosed.

One way to achieve the side access without faceplates would be to add a glass door or speaker cloth/grill door.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemants  /t/1520846/what-is-more-usefull-for-av-cabinet-pull-out-or-side-access#post_24435475

Any rack that is open from the side and back would presumably look much uglier from the front when peering through than a nice wood or glass shelf system that is fully enclosed.

Why would it be open from the side? Your #3 said "a push button door on a hinge" on the side. When that's not open (for access to the components), why would that be any different than your #1 or #2?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1520846/what-is-more-usefull-for-av-cabinet-pull-out-or-side-access#post_24436373

Why would it be open from the side? Your #3 said "a push button door on a hinge" on the side. When that's not open (for access to the components), why would that be any different than your #1 or #2?

3 would require an open (metal or floating) shelf system with a gap between shelf and side door

1 or 2 could be metal or wood but either way would be surrounded snug on three sides by wood panel.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemants  /t/1520846/what-is-more-usefull-for-av-cabinet-pull-out-or-side-access#post_24436815

3 would require an open (metal or floating) shelf system with a gap between shelf and side door

It doesn't, but at least I see what you were thinking.

No reason the side panel / hinged door has to extend to 100% of the shelf depth. Most components aren't more than 12-15" deep, with the AVR being the one you really want access to the back easily. That can leave you plenty of space at the front/back corners for attach points. If you were thinking the entire side panel, edge-to-edge, would be hinged, that's not what I would recommend...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is good advice. But with 21" cabinet depth and approx 18" shelf depth that leaves 3" for the partial door.

I think I'm better off going a different route.

Besides any solution with faceplates means no rotation so side access has limited value

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.